Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2005 2:59:06 PM EDT
A dude I know was raving about this movie.

Is it any good?

I can't trust his review because he's pretty much a dirty homo.

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 3:00:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know, but on the news they said that it is a more popular documentary than Fahrenheight 911 in terms of how many people have seen it. So it might be good, or it might be Anti-Bush.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 3:03:53 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

That would make sense.  I've read it's filled with homoerotic content.

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 3:05:16 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ghey penguins???
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 3:05:24 PM EDT
[#4]
And here I thought this thread was going to have something to do with Aimless.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 3:09:21 PM EDT
[#5]
The teasers look like it's a kiddy flick/documentary about penguins.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 3:54:24 PM EDT
[#6]
My bro in law and 6 year old nephew went to see it. They enjoyed it I hear.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:41:09 PM EDT
[#7]
My Other Half dragged me to see it.

It's not a kiddie flick at all, it's a genuine educational documentary about the life cycle of the Emperor Penguin. Personally, if I'd evolved over so many million years doing that, I'd have given up a long time ago and gone somewhere else. What those penguins go through is mind-boggling.

It sounds a very dry concept, but Morgan Freeman is a good narrator, there are little bits of humour, little moments of 'awwww'.. (tears, not cuteness), some moments of 'awwwww' (cuteness, not tears)... and it's a hell of a lot more educational than Fantastic Four or Dukes of Hazzard!

Frankly, you could do a lot worse in the cinema these days than this movie. I'd actually recommend it.

Oh, and I didn't pick up on any homo-erotic references in the movie at all.

NTM
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:56:30 PM EDT
[#8]
It's what, PG? I bet there isn't even any baby seals clubbed.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:58:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:03:12 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ghey penguins???

Yes, ghey penguins in NY www.jrn.columbia.edu/studentwork/cns/2002-06-10/591.asp and Germany www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_1275591.html

Ask and ye shall receive.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:05:52 PM EDT
[#11]
If you club a gay penguin, does it count as a hate crime or gay bashing? Or do you need a special permit?
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 9:35:58 PM EDT
[#12]

If you ever watched the "National Geographic" documentaries, or the documentaries shown on PBS, or found yourself watching the Nature channel for a couple of hours, or read about wildlife in a magazine, you will probably enjoy this movie.

I think it is the best movie I've seen all year.  It is just stunning what those penguins go through just to survive, yet the do, and have done so for aeons.

And I don't care what anyone else says, those penguins are damn cute.  Especially the little babies flapping their little wings!

Jim
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:46:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Went to see it last night.
Great movie.
Sex, violence, drama, and death.

All in a "G" movie.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:59:16 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
The teasers look like it's a kiddy flick/documentary about penguins.

Don't read this post if you don't want to know about the movie.  If you want to save your $8.00 read this post.

I went with my wife and 10 year old daughter.  And while it is not my type of movie, it was good.  I will say I enjoyed it and am glad I went.  There is no action.  No real excitement.

It is amazing how hard penguins work to save the egg.
They travel 70 miles and all meet up and find a mate. (Not for life but just for that year)
The egg is layed and the female passes it off to the male who balances it on his feet. At 40 below zero if he drops it is will immediately freeze and the chick inside dies.

The female has lost 50% of her body wieght and then travels back more than 70 miles to find water so she can fish and eat.  Gorges for a month or so and travels back 70 miles to find Male and chick freezing thier asses off and hungry.

Then the male goes the 70 miles to eat and 70 miles back.  Then they all go back to the water and eat.  Overall pretty OK movie.  One the kids should see and maybe the wife.  Most guys will enjoy it but will not admit it.  Many guys will be bored to tears and hate it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:00:09 PM EDT
[#15]
If you go see it... keep as far back as you can from the handi-capped section

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:03:28 PM EDT
[#16]
pretty much sums it up. If you like PBS, dicovery channel, NG docs you'll like the penguins. The wife and I saw it and we thoroughly enjoyed it.
Nice cinematography and a sense of awe of how dedicated the penguins are to their young and yes the little buggers are very cute.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:08:51 PM EDT
[#17]

Colt_SBR  
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:33:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Bumping up this thread as I saw March of the Penguins with my 5 year old this weekend.

Very amazing movie.

The film-makers, in selecting their shots and through the Best Damn Narrator in movies, actually lend these penguines more character and personality than any of the pablum Hollywood calls "cinema" otherwise this summer.   The film is full of wow moments in terms of visuals, and underscored by this amazing sense of MAN... this is a hell of a lot to go through!  

A coupe depictions of deatH:   An egg freezes, a chick freezes, a leapoard seal eats a penguin and a bird of prey attacks a baby penguin.   My five year old, bless her heart, turned to me and said:   "That's the circle of life, right dad?"  So she was OK.   But if your kids are really sensitive you might cover thier eyes.  Its very obvious when one of these scenes is coming.

Good movie.  Go watch it.  You can watch it and keep your man card, really.

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:16:47 PM EDT
[#19]
I really loved it.  I spent a week and a half in Antarctica once and I can say that I have a definite soft spot for the little guys.  Very hardy.  Besides, it was an excuse to look at pictures of Antarctica again.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:10:16 PM EDT
[#20]
It's a documentary about the Emperor Penguins, the trials and tribulations they endure to mate and of their method of adapting to the harsh anartic environment.  I enjoyed it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 5:54:44 AM EDT
[#21]
I saw it and it was very good.  It actually has many conservitive/family values in it.  Parents that are committed to each other.  Sacrifice for your family.  You will go to extrordinary lengths to protect and save your baby.  In nature there isnt a concept that its ok to let your child die if it means there might be a threat to the life of the parent.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:32:31 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:34:25 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I don't know, but on the news they said that it is a more popular documentary than Fahrenheight 911 in terms of how many people have seen it. So it might be good, or it might be Anti-Bush.

i heard it was close to beating fuckface's "f911" record which is as good a reason as any to see it!
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:17:01 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Heard it's very good...My sister and her hubby like it.  Will watch it for sure when it's out in DVD.

Really, it's similar to life cycle of salmon...

except they're a lot cuter and don't die at the end. Well most of them

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top