Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2005 1:16:28 PM EDT
I'm usually the first to bitch and moan loudly about "gubermint" handouts and entitlements.  However, I was made aware yesterday of a new one that my state has that I wasn't aware of.  I wonder if your states do it as well?  I'm in TN.

As some of you know I am selling my house and moving to FL.  Yesterday a young man and his pregnant wife and 2 kids (toddler and 4 year old) came to look at the house.  The couple was perhaps 22-23 years old.  I was showing them the house, and the guy really liked the large back yard.  He mentioned in passing that he promised his wife that when he got back from Iraq they would buy a house with a big back yard with lots of grass and trees.  I asked him who he served with, and he was with the 278th Armored Cavalry (TN National Guard) - one of only two Armored Cav units in the whole military.  They have been in Iraq for a while now, and in fact one of my good friends has a husband over there in the same unit.

So I'm telling him about the house, insurance costs, and taxes.  Well, he tells me he doesn't have to worry about property taxes, since in the state of TN all combat wounded vets are exempt from Property taxes.  I asked about how he was wounded - he took two rounds of 7.62x39 to his upper arm, destroyed his deltoid muscles, has two nasty bullet holes that he showed me.  He's actually still in a VA Hospital right now going through rehab.  Poor guy will never be able to do much at all anymore with that arm other than very light lifting, etc.

I must say I was very impressed and honored to talk to this YOUNG man (God, he looked like a kid!)  I said to him, "One question - did you shoot back?" He sort of innocently smiled and said, "Yeah, I got him.  He won't be shooting at my buddies anymore."

And hoo-ah for the state of TN by exempting this young Purple Heart recipient from paying Property Taxes.  

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 1:23:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I hate to call that welfare, but if it is, it is the only good kind.

Society does not have a duty to take care of everyone, but citizens who have served, and especially those that have been wounded (and the families of those who have sacrified their lives), should be well provided for.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 1:28:35 PM EDT
[#2]
great story..brightened up my day

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 1:45:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't think wounded vets, or the widows of vets who were KIA should have to pay taxes period. Same thing with wounded cops and firefighters.

If you've paid with your blood for Americans, you've paid enough.

Good on TN for doing this kind of thing.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 1:47:47 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Society does not have a duty to take care of everyone, but citizens who have served, and especially those that have been wounded (and the families of those who have sacrified their lives), should be well provided for.

It is not welfare but a small repayment on a debt.

ETA: Did he say where he was from the 278th has people from all around my area.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 2:14:05 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is not welfare but a small repayment on a debt.

ETA: Did he say where he was from the 278th has people from all around my area.

They are currently renting a place in Farragut.  Our house is in Oak Ridge, which is close to one of the 278th's posts.

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 2:21:31 PM EDT
[#6]
IF he buys your home, I'd like to send the 2 of you a bottle of Champaign to celebrate the deal.

I'll ship it since Tenn. is NOT the bubbly capital of America...
Pete
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 2:23:44 PM EDT
[#7]
That's not welfare, that's called returning the favor.

Ben
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 2:27:14 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
IF he buys your home, I'd like to send the 2 of you a bottle of Champaign to celebrate the deal.

I'll ship it since Tenn. is NOT the bubbly capital of America...
Pete

Sounds good to me!  I'll pour a little raspberry liquer in it to make a nice spritzer, or maybe make some Mimosa!
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 2:38:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 2:41:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Good on the state of TN and I think him for his service.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:43:17 PM EDT
[#11]
California has a pretty decent range of benefits/entitlements for Purple Heart recipients, not least is free college education for all their kids at any state University.

NTM
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:00:13 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
California has a pretty decent range of benefits/entitlements for Purple Heart recipients, not least is free college education for all their kids at any state University.

NTM

Same for Indiana.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:09:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Never heard of such a thing in NY.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:11:03 PM EDT
[#14]
That's a great story.  TN deserves to be commended.

However, just to be the mandatory dick in every thread, there is still the 2 ACR, 3 ACR and 11 ACR, and the 1-221 Cav  in the Guard.  The 278th is not, "one of two" armored cav outfits left in the Army.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:18:28 PM EDT
[#15]
very nice to know, thanks fo sharing this story.  God Bless him.....
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:19:01 PM EDT
[#16]
There's a 1-18Cav in CalGuard as well, I believe.

NTM
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:20:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:34:07 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
That's a great story.  TN deserves to be commended.

However, just to be the mandatory dick in every thread, there is still the 2 ACR, 3 ACR and 11 ACR, and the 1-221 Cav  in the Guard.  The 278th is not, "one of two" armored cav outfits left in the Army.

From their site:

www.278acr.com/metadot/index.pl

"It is the only enhanced Armored Cavalry Regiment in the National Guard and one of only two in the United States Army. "

Perhaps I should have said "enhanced".

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:58:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Not sure if IA has the same deal but all veterans during a "combat period" receive a reduction in property taxes. Don't know exactly how it works but the reduction I've been receiving is about 60%.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top