Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2005 7:53:26 AM EDT
So the tomato plants are ripening....I have to do something wth these dozens of ripe 'maters in my kitchen - so I'm making salsa.

I'm usually partial to a salsa fresca (pico de gallo) with the usual ingredients:
tomato
onion
garlic
jalapeno
cilantro
lime
and a shot of bitter orange juice (secret ingredient)

anyone have any recipes they'd like to share before I go to the store?
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:56:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Seville oranges?  That's what I've used.  

I've toyed with the TINIEST bit of olive oil too, some people
don't like that one, but I do.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:57:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Wow. This is a coincidence, we're making salsa here today too.

We are making a big-ass batch of it and canning it (what we always do). We use the basic ingredients in ours:

Tomatoes
Onions
Peppers (jalepeno and bell)
Cilantro (I love lots of cilantro in my salsa)
Some sort of salsa spice mix we buy
A little apple cider vinegar

I always try to make it a little on the 'dry' side, I like more chunks and less juice.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:58:34 AM EDT
[#3]
lots of, cilantro...lime....mmmm
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:01:46 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
lots of, cilantro...lime....mmmm

Lime might be a good idea.... we have a bottle of lime juice.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:03:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Here are some pics (we'll probably make another 2 batches or so like this throughout the year):

Edit to say: We run all of our vegetables through an old hand crank grinder. I think this is definitely a plus in the system. Cranking the grinder and taste-testing are my jobs.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:08:06 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Seville oranges?  That's what I've used.  

I've toyed with the TINIEST bit of olive oil too, some people
don't like that one, but I do.

I'd use actual seville oranges if I can find them, but I usually get the Goya bottled stuff at the mercado hispano.

I'll add a splash of olive oil and see how that works out

maybe a little bit of scotch bonnet peppers too
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:13:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Made a fresh batch yesterday myself.

I have a tomato press, but only do that with the very small tomatos and cherry tomatos. I mainly slice and dice the rest. Ingredients:

Tomatos
Green peppers
Onions
Cilantro
Garlic
Salt
Jalapeno
Fresh sqeezed lime juice

And my secret ingredient, balsamic vinegar.

Pretty hard to beat.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:16:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Dude, Mango Bean salsa is WAY better than normal salsa. Or you can add some mango into regular salsa. Makes a world of difference. You get a sweet and spicy mix that is just incrediable.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:25:49 AM EDT
[#9]
I HATE cilantro........
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:41:47 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I HATE cilantro........

Blasphemer!

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 9:13:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Mangos in salsa?  

Quoted:
Dude, Mango Bean salsa is WAY better than normal salsa. Or you can add some mango into regular salsa. Makes a world of difference. You get a sweet and spicy mix that is just incrediable.

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 9:22:02 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Mangos in salsa?  

Yup. Not a true salsa of the tomatoe variety, but an incredibly good variation.

Mango Black Bean Salsa

1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 (7 ounce) can whole kernel corn with peppers, drained
1 medium mango, peeled, seeded and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 9:30:02 AM EDT
[#13]
I like to use serrano peppers along with jalapenos.

I have a real hard time finding decent cilantro around here, it just tastes like lettuce.  Even the stuff at the Mexican market doesn't have much flavor.

Where do you guys get your cilantro?
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 9:38:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 9:40:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Tag
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 9:42:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Shit, now I want some bad D:!
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 9:43:39 AM EDT
[#17]
try roasting everything off in a little olive oil in the oven-then blend. I'm partial to salsas made with some reconstituted, dried chiles also, particularly chile de arbole-nice and hot. Save some of the reconstituting liquid to add as you blend. plenty of salt and cilantro also.

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 9:46:57 AM EDT
[#18]
One thing I like to do with my salsa so it's not so watery is grill the onions, tomatoes and peppers prior to mixing everything together.  Gives the salsa a unique flavor too!  Doesn't hurt to throw some mesquite chips in the grille's smoker either while your are grilling your veggies.  

If you put some habenaro peppers in your salsa to make it hot, grilling will burn some of the oils in the pepper, thus taking some of the heat away.  Be careful to stay out of the smoke too!

It will be a week or two before I can make my salsa.  The tomatoes are just coming in now.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 10:22:41 AM EDT
[#19]

Here's my friend Nick (the back of his head), my brother Zach, and my friend Dale (EladEflow on the boards).

This is the best method I have found for getting the watery part out of your salsa. If you do it during the cooking phase, before canning, it's more watery so you can get more off. Keep in mind that it will get thicker once it cools though.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 10:29:29 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
So the tomato plants are ripening....I have to do something wth these dozens of ripe 'maters in my kitchen - so I'm making salsa.

I'm usually partial to a salsa fresca (pico de gallo) with the usual ingredients:
tomato
onion
garlic
jalapeno
cilantro
lime
and a shot of bitter orange juice (secret ingredient)

anyone have any recipes they'd like to share before I go to the store?

I also use salt, coarse black pepper, and a shot of malt vinegar...
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 10:44:26 AM EDT
[#21]
All this talk of salsa and no Habaneros?
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 10:44:52 AM EDT
[#22]
ok, done with the first bacth....about 2 gallons...

I used habaneros, jalapenos and chipotles

Added olive oil and a dash of balsamic vinegar.

it's "ripening" right now....I'll report back tonight.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 10:46:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 10:48:41 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I threw 2 habaneros and a red chile in there, I don't like mine that hot.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:45:50 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Hey! Hey! Hey!  See above, I use Habaneros!  

I like my salsa hot too.  However, I noticed since I'm somewhere over 40 the real hot stuff gives me slight heart burn.  Damn, this getting old sucks!
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 1:47:24 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
www.tenringhosting.com/ViewImage.aspx?PID=03ae5a3c-a091-4dfd-94a7-5165f8b9f03f

Here's my friend Nick (the back of his head), my brother Zach, and my friend Dale (EladEflow on the boards).

www.tenringhosting.com/ViewImage.aspx?PID=39f8c9d5-68bc-460a-93fc-5db3ffc461ac

This is the best method I have found for getting the watery part out of your salsa. If you do it during the cooking phase, before canning, it's more watery so you can get more off. Keep in mind that it will get thicker once it cools though.

Tell Dale his Led Zep shirt is the kewlest!

I like to make my salsa with Roma tomatoes - a little juicier than what you guys who roast are probably ending up with, but not nearly so watery as if you used eating tomatoes like the Beefstake types.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:10:56 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey! Hey! Hey!  See above, I use Habaneros!  

I like my salsa hot too.  However, I noticed since I'm somewhere over 40 the real hot stuff gives me slight heart burn.  Damn, this getting old sucks!

Roger that. I didn't see your post, the first time around. All is forgiven.

Carry on.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:18:10 PM EDT
[#28]
salsa spice mix? what's in that? seems unnecessary.

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:28:12 PM EDT
[#29]
I used jalapenos, a red bell pepper, poblanos, and dried New Mexico chiles in my last homemade batch.  Turned out well, except I used white onion.  I should have used red or yellow.  The white overpowered everything else too much.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:04:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Pico de Gallo is a fresca or "fresh" salsa.  None of the ingredients are roasted, toasted, heated or beated.

Onions
Tomatoes (some seed the tomatoes, some don't, I like it with NO seeds)
cilantro
SERRANO chiles A little hotter and a little tastier than jalapenos)

All chopped and mixed together, minimal to no liquid added

but to each his own.  most salsas around here at the restaurants are made fresh  and few with  more than minimal preparation

That said one place I go to makes a great chipotle salsa where all the ingredients are cooked and is very liquidy.  By definition chipotles have been smoked and peeled.

Serranos are generally prepared without roasting and peeling.  Most larger varieties of peppers get roasted for peeling.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top