Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2005 2:52:28 AM EDT
I wanted to get a G Shock and i know alot of people own them here so my question is

Which do you think is the best???
Battery life or No battery???
Atomic Solar or Tough Solar???
which model???

thank you for your time
Cody
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 3:44:43 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I wanted to get a G Shock and i know alot of people own them here so my question is

Which do you think is the best???
Battery life or No battery???
Atomic Solar or Tough Solar???
which model???

thank you for your time
Cody

I can't really answer most of your questions, but I can tell you that I've worn this G-shock daily for 6 years without an issue.  It's gone diving in the Gulf, camping, working, fighting, and shooting and the only problem is when daylight savings time rolls around, and I have to remember how to set it.

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:07:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Bought an atomic solar G-Shock when it came out
a couple years ago. It keeps perfect (to the second)
time. No problems or issues.  Be advised, it is not a
small watch. Very tough. Waterproof. Less than eighty
dollars at China Mart.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:14:47 AM EDT
[#3]
The standard models claim two years battery life.  But I only get about a year out of mine (The "Data Memory" version G 2210). Spend the extra money on the 10 year battery version or the solar version.

ETA: the options with Gshocks are nearly endless, there must be over a hundred versions availble with new features being introduced all the time.  They offer a military green version but it has some chrome highlights and a braided cloth band.  There is a Desert Tan version that has a double layer velcro band but its very hard to find.  
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:16:10 AM EDT
[#4]
thanks for the info

this is the one i was planning on buying

www.watchesgiant.com/cagtosog73.html
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:27:42 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The standard models claim two years battery life.  But I only get about a year out of mine. spend the extra money ofn the 10 year battery version or the solar version.

I don't know which model that is that I posted a pic of above, but I've never had to replace my battery (knock on wood).
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:31:16 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a Tough Solar and I like it. The entire face of the watch is a solar panel and it automatically re-charges the battery. It withstands the 120+ degree heat and sandstorms of Kuwait with no problem at all.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:39:32 AM EDT
[#7]
I've had the Casio G-Shock G100-1BV  for a year and haven't replaced batteries.
I like it. One tough watch.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:43:13 AM EDT
[#8]
G-Shock's are the only thing I wear.  I have a couple of "fancy" watches but they sit on my bookcase.  I have done everything that can just about be done wearing a watch with no problems.  I have found the weak link to be the bands.  After about 18 to 24 months they become brittle and break.  I have two or three G shocks in the closet with broken bands.  FWIW  

I am wearing the Atomic watch version now.  It's got a shiny bezel (synthetic chrome?)  that I could do without but hey it was a birhtday gift from my kids so I wear it.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:46:07 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
G-Shock's are the only thing I wear.  I have a couple of "fancy" watches but they sit on my bookcase.  I have done everything that can just about be done wearing a watch with no problems.  I have found the weak link to be the bands.  After about 18 to 24 months they become brittle and break.  I have at leat two G shocks in the closet with broken bands.  FWIW  

Wouldn't a replacement watchband would be much cheaper than replacing the whole watch ?!
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:46:49 AM EDT
[#10]
For that price, you can get an atomic/solar watch.
I think you'll be happier with one that is linked to
the WWV time signal....You can't get a more
accurate timepiece.

edited for spelling
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:49:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Less than $75 from Here

AKASL
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:28:05 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm not going to rain on your parade or anything, but when my last watch died after OCS and OBC, I went around looking for a new one. Sure enough, the G-Shocks caught my eye. So did the price tag. (And that of other watches as well)

Now, call me daft, but I don't expect much from a watch. I would like it to tell me the time.  Stopwatch is nice, and I prefer a dual analogue/digital face. Anything else is pretty much gravy. I couldn't see myself justifying spending that much on a G-Shock, and the salesperson couldn't figure out a real reason to either, although she did say they were their top seller.

So I bought a Casio Illuminator. Not too pricey a little thing, at about $40. So far so good, and it's as much as survived a year riding around in a tank in Iraq amongst anything else I put it through in the military in the last two years.

NTM
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:30:11 AM EDT
[#13]
G-Shocks rule, but just don't try to change the battery yourself.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:41:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Good for the money, I went through two Casio Marine G-Shocks in three years.

First one had moisture in it, I think because I changed the battery myself, nt sure though.

The second just stopped working after a year and a half, had the battery changed and it still didn't work.

I got myself a SUUNTO Vector, had it for three years now, 1 battery change which I did myself, no prob and it takes a beating.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:44:13 AM EDT
[#15]
the  2688 is an awsome deal at costco!!!!
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:44:44 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
accurate timepiece.

edited for spelling

I would like to get a atomic watch but dont you have to be within 2,000 miles from the transmitter??

because im in Iraq which is a little too far
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:47:34 AM EDT
[#17]
I've got an atomic solar, it's big and doesn't have alot of features but it's allways right and it needs no maintence. They have a shiny chrome bezel though, so it's not "low signature" if thats what you are looking for.

And yes, it won't sync in Iraq. Only N. America, or Europe, depending on which model you buy.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:55:57 AM EDT
[#18]
My favorite G-Shock is this one...a G-100

I gave one of these watches to one of our deployed Team Members, Tayous1, who is a Marine currently deployed in Iraq.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 12:35:35 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
accurate timepiece.

edited for spelling

I would like to get a atomic watch but dont you have to be within 2,000 miles from the transmitter??

Use it as a regular watch until you return.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:12:48 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
G-Shock's are the only thing I wear.  I have a couple of "fancy" watches but they sit on my bookcase.  I have done everything that can just about be done wearing a watch with no problems.  I have found the weak link to be the bands.  After about 18 to 24 months they become brittle and break.  I have at leat two G shocks in the closet with broken bands.  FWIW  

Wouldn't a replacement watchband would be much cheaper than replacing the whole watch ?!

Casio uses non standard spring bars to make replacement band buying difficult. They want you to buy a genuine casio replacement at inflated prices.  Timex makes cheaper replacement bans for the Gshock.

If you buy the lower end Gshocks ($39.00) then you are usually better off getting a new watch when the band breaks ofr battery dies. the local watch shops all want $25.00 to change the battery.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:37:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Anybody know if G-shocks, specifically the Atomic Tough one, will work with Zulu/Rhino/Waterborne type bands??  

I know they use a proprietary pin system and I know you can buy a "kit" to make the Suunto Vector work with these type of bands..........

I'd like to pick one up but I refuse to wear anything other than Zulu/Rhino bands.....
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:43:18 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Anybody know if G-shocks, specifically the Atomic Tough one, will work with Zulu/Rhino/Waterborne type bands??  

They will not.  Even the narrow 20mm zulu band is far too wide for the Gshocks 16mm springpins. There is an adapter you can buy, but its not widely available and adds two plastic extensions to the watch.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:44:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:51:43 PM EDT
[#24]
I've got an atomic one too.  Though, if you don't spend lots of time in sunlight, you'll have to take it off and let it charge fairly often.  For me, I have to take it off and put it on a windowsill about every month during the winter, for about 1-2 weeks.  During this summer, I haven't had problems yet, though, I spent tons of time outside.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:55:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Get both.

I like my atomic solar G-Shock.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:37:02 PM EDT
[#26]
thanks for all the info

im going to look into a Atomic Solar G Shock
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 12:09:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Smart man.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:55:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Damn....I was really thinkin about getting one too.......
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:59:06 AM EDT
[#29]
go on ebay great deals to be found.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 12:09:52 PM EDT
[#30]
I have the atomic solar G-shock as well.

It kicks serious ass.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 12:20:54 PM EDT
[#31]
I think you should wait until these are restocked and get this one www.countycomm.com/milshock.htm

If you need new original bands, they have them too.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 12:51:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 12:53:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:33:44 PM EDT
[#34]
FWIW the LCD models are cool in that you can change the color of the numbers/diplay.  I like the red numbers option.

I wish Casio would shitcan the "databank" feature though.  Who is really going to store phone numbers in their watch and then reprogramm them all everytime they change the battery?

BTW:  Does anyone have one of the Gshocks with the Worldtime feature?  How does that work?  do you set it for your location and it will scroll through the corret time for other major cities?  Or do you have to program multiple locations?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:41:59 PM EDT
[#35]
I have a G-Shock 2608 and it has been working better than any other watch.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:48:02 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
G-Shocks rule, but just don't try to change the battery yourself.

PLUS FREAKIN ONE.  Every G Shock I've tried to replace the battery myself has died.  Also don't take it to Walmart to change it.  They'll kill it.

Take it to an actual watch shop and spend the 13 bucks to get it changed.  The shop I took it to said that GShocks need to be pressurized when they are resealed and it takes a special apparatus to do that.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:04:05 PM EDT
[#37]
this one:
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:54:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:02:15 PM EDT
[#39]
I've had mine for 4+ years and only recently changed the battery. The numbers on the back are: DW-6900 FWIW. I beat this thing to death and it still keeps great time. It also has the little illuminator buton and lights the face up blue.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:19:06 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:
accurate timepiece.

edited for spelling

Correct, the Atomic time function only works in CONUS.  

I've got one of the super-plain, original style G-Shocks.  It's my second.  I wore the last one until the plastic cracked and water got in it.  Love em though, great watches.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:36:01 PM EDT
[#41]
G-shock is the nuts.

I have had mine for 4 years now, with one year plus being worn at a shipyard.

We are damn hard on our equipment and of all the people on my crew, I am the only one who still has my original watch that I came in with.  Most have gone through two, some are on 4.

I have had the strap get brittle and break, had a 30 ton cradle snag and rip my watch off of my arm, and after replacing the band, its still ticking.

It looks like hell obviously, but its still waterproof and keeps good time.

I can't complain.

Chris
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:28:56 PM EDT
[#42]
my G-Shock got the acid test today. San Antonio humidity. It killed my swiss army watch. No condensation at all so far with the G-Shock
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top