Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/5/2005 11:57:05 PM EDT
Whats with the judges giving light sentences for serious crimes ?
I keep seeing sentences that would be more appropriate for littering or trespassing offenses......

If an individual brings harm to another, especially a henious crime like rape I would expect
the consequences to be severe.  But, I keep seeing probation, 30 days confinement or community service
why is it that the violent offenders seem to be skating, but the non-violent ones seem to get prison time?
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 12:11:08 AM EDT
[#1]
i have notice that too.  makes me sick to my stomach.  just the other day my friend got arrested for assault.  all he did was pull a cigarette out of somebody's lip.  such BS!!
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 12:28:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes, it's happening way too often. Are only Liberals left as judges anymore?
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 12:42:56 AM EDT
[#3]
It has been happening for more than twenty years, I thought it was my imagination for a long time
now, I could probably make a good living betting on it.  I am not in favor of drug use
but, I would much rather a killer, robber, rapist or violent person that just wants to fight
be incarcerated than someone that smoked pot or took prescription drugs illegally
fine them(like they do)and free the prison cells for the people that hurt others, not themselves
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 12:44:08 AM EDT
[#4]
I think they're just overwhelmed by the volume and the relative severity of crimes. I will not jump into the Lib/Con whirlpool right now; that is an issue but there are other, more structural ones.

Example,  I watched a show tonight tracing the history of a (forged) sketch of George Washington.  The skilled forger, a contempory dirtball, abandoned a toddler son and was eventually convicted of, get this, using the US Mail to transact interstate fraud.  He went to jail for years.

Does anyone think we will get back to that?

We can't control internet identity theft.

I think, personally, that the barbarians are past the gates, and Neros fiddle along while Rome burns.

I will have to think about the solution and get back to you.

Regards,

Rick

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 1:26:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Need to build more prisons.

That way these assholes can cool their heels for several years instead of being released in a comparatively short time to make room for other short-timers.

[
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:11:56 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I keep seeing sentences that would be more appropriate for littering or trespassing offenses......

If an individual brings harm to another, especially a henious crime like rape I would expect
the consequences to be severe.  But, I keep seeing probation, 30 days confinement or community service
why is it that the violent offenders seem to be skating, but the non-violent ones seem to get prison time?

The REASON?????

M O N E Y

It is easier for the court systems to deal with folks who will pay fines, do time or WHATEVER in order that they can get back to their normal lives.  So non violent crimes are prosecuted more harshly.  Violent offenders don't give a shit so the system let's them go because it's too costly to deal with them.
It's cheaper to extort money from a guy for a minor "DUI", getting caught with a bit o' weed, or speeding than it is to get Tyrone to do anything other than fuck shit up, get a hundred chicks pregnant and make a general nuuisance of himself.

Ain't that a kick in teeth.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:29:33 AM EDT
[#7]
The judges and cops keep themselves employed by making sure there's plenty of crime and a revolving door of arrests and trials.z
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:37:44 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The REASON?????

M O N E Y

It is easier for the court systems to deal with folks who will pay fines, do time or WHATEVER in order that they can get back to their normal lives.  So non violent crimes are prosecuted more harshly.  Violent offenders don't give a shit so the system let's them go because it's too costly to deal with them.
It's cheaper to extort money from a guy for a minor "DUI", getting caught with a bit o' weed, or speeding than it is to get Tyrone to do anything other than fuck shit up, get a hundred chicks pregnant and make a general nuuisance of himself.

Quoted:
The judges and cops keep themselves employed by making sure there's plenty of crime and a revolving door of arrests and trials.z

That is what I am talking about, so you don't think it is too far fetched or just my imagination?
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:49:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Plenty of room in the prisons we have.  You can probably build 12 plywood and 2x bunks in a 6x8 cell.  Just need a system where the whining isn't allowed.  Like that sheriff in Arizona (or was it New Mexico?); outdoor tents, striped prison wear, pink underwear and towels, no tobacco, no coffee, plenty of water, no a/c, (had to give them cable tv-he tuned it to the weather channel so they'd know how hot it would be tomorrow), chain gangs, included the women prisoners with the same amenities.  Might want to limit the menu to eggs, beans and rice, bologna, plain spaghetti, water.  Don't like it, don't come back.  Make the prisons, prison again.  Even a short stay will make you think twice.  Child molesting- ten years minimum the first time (yeah, not my first choice); second time - death penalty (my first choice).
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 12:04:12 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Plenty of room in the prisons we have.  You can probably build 12 plywood and 2x bunks in a 6x8 cell.  Just need a system where the whining isn't allowed.  Like that sheriff in Arizona (or was it New Mexico?); outdoor tents, striped prison wear, pink underwear and towels, no tobacco, no coffee, plenty of water, no a/c, (had to give them cable tv-he tuned it to the weather channel so they'd know how hot it would be tomorrow), chain gangs, included the women prisoners with the same amenities.  Might want to limit the menu to eggs, beans and rice, bologna, plain spaghetti, water.  Don't like it, don't come back.  Make the prisons, prison again.  Even a short stay will make you think twice.  Child molesting- ten years minimum the first time (yeah, not my first choice); second time - death penalty (my first choice).

+1
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:47:31 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Yeah, if you took away the rape, none of those fuckers would like being in prison
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:00:23 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Need to build more prisons.

That way these assholes can cool their heels for several years instead of being released in a comparatively short time to make room for other short-timers.

[

A booming new business is privatizing Prisons. A new money maker for sure.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:59:40 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Judges, and public defenders, tend to forget that the crook standing before them has likely commited the same offenses he is charged with hundreds of times before and did not get caught. They dont observe him as the predator he is in his natural element.  instead they see him fattened up and scrubbed in a jail jumpsuit, or dressed in his sunday best, putting his best foot forward.

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:32:13 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Judges, and public defenders, tend to forget that the crook standing before them has likely commited the same offenses he is charged with hundreds of times before and did not get caught. They dont observe him as the predator he is in his natural element.  instead they see him fattened up and scrubbed in a jail jumpsuit, or dressed in his sunday best, putting his best foot forward.

Maybe they need a ridealong or something?
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:40:38 PM EDT
[#15]
I suspect a lot of the weak sentences are really pleas.  Its a vicious cycle.  Weak sentences means that the cops have to arrest the same offenders multiple times.  The court then has its docket overloaded with cases, so it pressures the DA to make a deal to avoid trial.  The deal results in an inadequate prison sentence, homie commits a crime again, and the whole process starts over.  I looked into being a prosecutor in law school and the pressure to plea seems to be pretty universal for DA's or their federal equivalents.  
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:54:53 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted: Whats with the judges giving light sentences for serious crimes?  
 Some idiot judge passed on a ruling that crowding prisoners next to each other was "cruel and unusual punishment".  I say that paying taxes to government to house/feed/clothe scumbags is "cruel and unusual".  We should start with the hardest criminals first, kill 'em off, and work our way back down to compliance with overcrowding regulations.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:04:40 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The REASON?????

M O N E Y

Quoted:

That is what I am talking about, so you don't think it is too far fetched or just my imagination?

Not in the slightest.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:08:16 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

For one thing should should appear at trial the way they appeared at the time of their arrest.  Wearing the same gang attire, with the same hairstyle.  The jury and judge need to see the suspect that way.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:09:55 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I suspect a lot of the weak sentences are really pleas.  

Of course.  A plea bargain is considered a "win" by political motivated DA's and they care waty to much about their win/loss records. Plus plea bargains are a great deal for the defendants.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:16:26 AM EDT
[#20]
If all the good democrats are in jail, who would be left to re-elect liberal judges?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:25:18 AM EDT
[#21]
The assinine "war on drugs" keeps the jail too full of vicious pot smokers.  They have no room for murderers, robbers, rapists, pedophiles or other crimes that apparently aren't near as serious as smoking pot.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:37:02 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
The assinine "war on drugs" keeps the jail too full of vicious pot smokers.  

Bullshit.  Few states put people in jail for pot possession.  In most states it's a traffic ticket resulting in a fine. My state doesnt even jail people for meth/heroin/cocaine possession until the third offense.

I'm sure every state is different, but our local jails are filled with wife beaters, theives, and repeat drunk drivers.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 12:44:41 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

For one thing should should appear at trial the way they appeared at the time of their arrest.  Wearing the same gang attire, with the same hairstyle.  The jury and judge need to see the suspect that way.

Yeah, they should at least have a nice big clear 8x10 pic of their appearance at time of arrest
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:23:57 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The assinine "war on drugs" keeps the jail too full of vicious pot smokers.  

Bullshit.  Few states put people in jail for pot possession.  In most states it's a traffic ticket resulting in a fine. My state doesnt even jail people for meth/heroin/cocaine possession until the third offense.

I'm sure every state is different, but our local jails are filled with wife beaters, theives, and repeat drunk drivers.

Sure, because YOU say so.  You can shove your "bullshit".
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:20:12 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Look at his state.  He's in CA, and things work very differently there.  He doesn't understand that the rest of the country operates very differently.  I've read in the paper about guys sentenced to five years prison for first-time possession of marijuana.  The sentences are so harsh around here that most of the time you read in the paper about drug busts, it's for illegally obtained prescription drugs rather than street drugs that have a much harsher minimum sentence for possession.z
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:02:49 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Look at his state.  He's in CA, and things work very differently there.  He doesn't understand that the rest of the country operates very differently.  

Go to NORMLs website and look at the penalties for possession of pot.  Few states actually jail people for simple possession. In my state for example possession of under 1 oz is an non bookable misdemeanor citation.  Meaning you cannot be booked into, or sentaced to jail for that offense.  The penalty may not exceed $100.  In practise the "sentance" is a $40.00 traffic school type class. the penalty does not increase for subsequent violations.

First time possession of meth, coke, heroin is a 6 month diversion program (PC1000) with AA type meetings and 3 piss tests. No jail time.

Second time offense is typically an 18 month diversion of the same type. (Prop 36)

third time offender as supposed to be sentanced to jail or prison, but the DA and judge can allow them to redo diversion under tighter supervison (PC 1210 program).

As for your state of Georgia.  First time possession of less than one ounce is probation and no fine with the charges being dismissed upon completion of probation. (Thats harsh huh?)

It is a drug culture myth that prisons are overcrowded with guys busted for a smoking a joint or possessing their personal use stash.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:23:46 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Their fucking rampant LIBERALS. What did you think was the reason?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:52:38 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Their fucking rampant LIBERALS. What did you think was the reason?

Okay, will the honest taxpaying Citizens let the illegal situation and the terrorist situation go on just like that one........
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:38:06 AM EDT
[#29]
Maybe not quite the same thing because for all we know it might be a case of a vengeful ex-spouse, but you decide if this is a light sentence.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8843145/

Ex-convict sentenced to 320 hours of crocheting
Man accused of sexually abusing daughter pleads no contest
 HARLINGEN, Texas - An ex-convict who pleaded no contest to sexually abusing his daughter was sentenced to crochet afghans as part of the community service requirement of his probation.

Despite an outcry over the seemingly lenient sentence, the prosecutor in the case said he had been ready to dismiss it for lack of evidence.

During a dispute over custody of the child, Norma de la Torre accused her ex-husband, Robert Wayne Thompson, of sexually abusing their 8-year-old daughter. She filed civil and criminal cases against him.

Thompson had served five years in prison in Virginia for sexual assault.

But the criminal case became shaky when the girl told the judge in the civil case that her mother had told her to say Thompson abused her.

So state District Judge Rose Guerra Reyna, in the criminal case, agreed to a plea bargain in July that required Thompson to register as a sex offender, be under probation — and spend 320 hours crocheting afghans.

Thompson likes to crochet — he's made numerous such small blankets for wheelchair-bound patients at hospitals and nursing homes. Hidalgo County District Attorney Rene Guerra said crocheting was chosen because Thompson is disabled with a heart condition and couldn't do anything strenuous.

Dianne Clements of Justice for All, a victims' rights group, told CNN, "The judge lost her mind." The McAllen Monitor ran five letters critical of the judge and received several more.

No comment from the judge
Guerra Reyna has not responded to critics of the sentence because the judicial code prohibits her from speaking about it.

But a colleague, retired state District Judge Fernando Mancias, said she considered it fair because no one could prove the allegations against Thompson.

De la Torre could not be reached for comment.

Thompson said he pleaded no contest in the criminal case at the advice of his two public defenders.

"The judge just took it because it was presented by the district attorney, and I accepted it," Thompson told The Associated Press.

His attorneys did not immediately return calls for comment.

Guerra, the prosecutor, said he couldn't prove the case.

"We have some conflicts in testimony and evidence." he said. "I had authorized dismissal. My staff in lieu of dismissal put him under supervision and he would also be required to register.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top