Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/5/2005 8:37:03 PM EDT
After waiting two years after splitting up with the ex-wife and finally paying off all that debt the little @#$%^ left me with, I walked into Alamo City Harley Davidson and ordered me a 2006 Street Bob in Denim Black!  I can hardly wait, the ship date is supposed to be 9/5 so this is going to be a long month. And I thought waiting for my CMP rifles sucked...

I really wanted to pick one up this weekend, but the only dealer in Texas that had a denium black one in stock was Barnett in El Paso, but they really did not want to deal on the bike (they wanted $4K over MSRP) , so I went to my friendly local MSRP shop and slapped down the deposit on one shipping soon.

Before last week, I was really set on getting an FXDI superglide, but as soon as I saw the pic on the website of the Street Bob, I knew I had to have one!  Thank goodness, I had to financially wait until this month to get the bike!  What luck!

This will be my first street bike, so I hope it is not too much bike for me.  I have been riding dirt bikes sine I was 5, and twenty years later I am now looking to ride on the road.  In case yall are wondering, yes I took the MSF course and I even have my license, so I am ready!

One thing I will need, though, is a back seat and foot pegs for the g/f to ride on.  Are these pretty simple to install myself, or should I have the dealer do it?  Also where is a good place to buy these aftermarket parts?  The dealer I am getting the bike from said they will give me 10% off accories, but that seems a little low.

Here is a pic of the bike, in case you were wondering:
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:37:57 PM EDT
[#1]
VERY NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:41:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I just read an article about that bike in American Iron magazine.  Looks good!

Have fun and ride safe!!  

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:42:13 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
VERY NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+1! That thing is sweet as hell!
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:44:08 PM EDT
[#4]
You are going to have alot of fun.

Nice Bike!
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:44:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:47:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Rock on bro. That ride is beautiful.

I too divorced and paid the price. Just yesterday I paid off the remainder of a $48k IRS bill, and scheduled a CCW class (of which I took and passed in '03 but did not know about the back taxes).

Just after divorcing, I purchased a 02 Deuce. I lost my 1999 Yamaha V-Max to the devil in the divorce. Yes, all of it was worth it.

As for the Deuce...
Yesterday I purchased new tires, a chrome rear wheel and sprocket. Couple that with the Wild1 handle bars, chrome controls, stage I set up, I am in heaven.

Enjoy, and ride safe. If you find you way near west TX, hollar. We have some great ridding out here. Keep the rubber down and the shiny side up.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:53:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Very, very nice

<-----------very, very jealous
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:25:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Regarding the aftermarket parts:  They are generally easy to install.  Sometimes, you need an average set of tools and some common sense because the instructions usually suck, but I suggest that you install them yourself.  This is where the dealers make all their money, because the installation and sales of parts is gravy work.

I recommmend that you find an online forum for harleys and research your choice of rear seat before purchasing.  Harley makes nice aftermarket parts, but so do others for much less cash.  Look at Mustang seats, for instance.

Good luck and safe riding.

M.L.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:26:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Nice looking ......Congrats!!!
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:30:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:47:19 PM EDT
[#11]
You suck! Congrats! Good luck, have fun.

Thats on my shopping list, whatcha pay? Optional question of course.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 10:04:08 PM EDT
[#12]
BTT anyone have any ideas on where to order the seat and rear pegs?
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 10:10:49 PM EDT
[#13]
My friend who is a Harley dealer has a blue street bob in his display room for sale.  He is a MSRP dealer.  It was there 2 days ago anyway.

patsue
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 2:51:48 AM EDT
[#14]
My two favorite dealers that give discounts on Harley parts are Benjy's H-D (20% off) and Zanotti's (15% to 40% off) Their websites are http://www.benjyshd.com/home.asp and http://www.zanottimotor.com/  For aftermarket parts the best discounters are http://www.discountcycleparts.com/  and https://www.directparts.com/cgi-bin/dp.store
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:23:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Good for you,very nice scoot. Somday i will have one i hope.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:43:26 AM EDT
[#16]
That looks great.

Congrats

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:51:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Nice ride. After owning three harleys I am kind of leaning toward the V-Rod in the future...
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:03:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Don't forget to take the mufflers off.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:08:03 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
[Mr. Burns]Exxxxcelllent![/Mr. Burns]

Fixed it for you
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:08:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Good luck. I hope it doesnt get lost in the parking lot..
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:13:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Nice!!!! Congrats on the Harley.  
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:25:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Check CORBIN.COM or MUSTANGSEATS.COM for your new seat and as for aftermarket parts pick up a copy of American Iron and flip throught the back pages of dealers to choose from.  The biggest request/complaint my buddy and I get from passengers is "I wish you had a backrest on the seat."  
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:46:02 AM EDT
[#23]
I like Jireh Cycles for aftermarket stuff and Chicago Harley Davidson for factory parts (always 20% discount on on-line orders).  

If you want work done find a local independant shop for it.  That's where you'll find the best mechanics (Harley doesn't pay their people shit so they move on ASAP).  

Buy a factory Service Manual and a factory Parts Manual.  The parts manual is invaluable as you won't have to rely on the counter dweebs to find you the right part and there's exploded diagrams of all assemblies.  

My buddy Preacher runs a Yahoo group called TC-88 and it's probably the best tech forum around.  There's also rec.motorcycles.harley on Usenet.

Be careful.  Slow speed parking lots probably claim more new riders than anything else.  That's a heavy bike and it has a definate point-of-no-return when leaned too far at low speed.

+1 on the Mustang seat.  It will make your ass giggle.

You'll need to pay the "Harley Tax" as soon as possible.  That's a low restriction intake and exaust (mufflers, not drag pipes) with a carb rejet or FI chip reflash.  It's the cheapest and easiest 10 to 15 hoursepower you're ever going to get.

Quoted:

And please, please resist the urge to do this.  There's lots of great low restriction mufflers out there for increased performance.  Save the drag pipes for the drag strip.  That's the only place they work worth a shit.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:57:30 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Be careful.  Slow speed parking lots probably claim more new riders than anything else.  That's a heavy bike and it has a definate point-of-no-return when leaned too far at low speed.

+1 Thank God for Engine Guards.  My first and only drop (so far) was a low speed u-turn on a narrow tow lane road.  By time you realize she's going down it's to late.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:03:10 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And please, please resist the urge to do this.  There's lots of great low restriction mufflers out there for increased performance.  Save the drag pipes for the drag strip.  That's the only place they work worth a shit.

I was being sarcastic.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:08:47 AM EDT
[#26]
nice
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:18:29 AM EDT
[#27]
BEFORE YOU BUY ANYTHING find yourself a web forum analagous to this one. There are plenty out there. I go to one for V-Rods and I have saved my self monumental grief and $ by soliciting and listening to advice from those who have been there and done that.

Just like with AR's, there are good guys and bad guys out there to deal with. Don't re-pay tuition for lessons others have already learned.

Oh, congrats!

SD
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:33:59 AM EDT
[#28]
You should have waited another year,  The 2007 mdels are going to be V-Twins.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:45:47 AM EDT
[#29]

In case yall are wondering, yes I took the MSF course and I even have my license, so I am ready!

You're ready to start learing how to ride......

hold off on the seat until you've ridden a few thousand miles.

riding a bike with a passenger can be tricky.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:54:17 AM EDT
[#30]
It's nice if you like slow bikes that leak oil and break down every 5 minutes. Should've got a Victory.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:55:24 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
It's nice if you like slow bikes that leak oil and break down every 5 minutes. Should've got a Victory.

Victorys are ugly IMO.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:57:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Never seen a Harley break down or leak oil with good maintenance habits.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:57:17 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
It's nice if you like slow bikes that leak oil and break down every 5 minutes.

Look on the bright side. Atleast it'll be loud and he can piss off half the population.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:59:54 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Victorys are ugly IMO.

+1  And they leak oil and break down every 5 minutes.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:02:40 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Sportsters rock, good choice.

Um, it is not a Sportster, it is a Dyna.

This is a Sportster 1200:
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:04:31 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Look on the bright side. Atleast it'll be loud and he can piss off half the population.

At least I'll be able to pass him on the road. The reason I don't like Harley-Davidson is that most of the people that buy them are just buying the labels. I've seen too many of the "Hell's Angels wannabees" on them. And the new Victories are beasutiful bikes.I remember reading an article a while back in a motorcycle mag that showed that the Honda Goldwing had more American parts than a Harley(forgot which Harley) so that's not a strong argument to buy one.

It's just that I've seen too many "big bad biker" wannabes on them and it's given me a bad image of the bikes. Not too mention that my bike can always smoke a Harley.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:08:51 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Slow yes, but I believe the oil leak went out with AMC if I'm not mistaken.

With all the "modification this" and "change that" that has been mentioned, I can't believe no one has said a thing about taking an MSF course.

Riding dirt is a good basis for a motorcycle career, but it won't prepare you for every cager trying to kill you.

Motorcycle Safety Foundation

Good luck, enjoy, welcome to the street riding addiction that has plagued me for 12 years.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:09:00 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

At least I'll be able to pass him on the road. The reason I don't like Harley-Davidson is that most of the people that buy them are just buying the labels. I've seen too many of the "Hell's Angels wannabees" on them. And the new Victories are beasutiful bikes.I remember reading an article a while back in a motorcycle mag that showed that the Honda Goldwing had more American parts than a Harley(forgot which Harley) so that's not a strong argument to buy one.

It's just that I've seen too many "big bad biker" wannabes on them and it's given me a bad image of the bikes. Not too mention that my bike can always smoke a Harley.

I am hardly a Hell's Angel wannabe, I am buying a Harley because I like the styling more than any bike on the market and because I can afford it.

Do I really look like a poser?

And no, I dont ride like that but you can see the type person I am.  I dont get into the whole "Harley" look.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:13:57 AM EDT
[#39]
I didn't say you were but most who ride them from what I've seen are.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:14:00 AM EDT
[#40]
... Great going EagleArmsHBAR! You'll have a blast riding that bike. Disregard all those too afraid to mount a scooter or those showing their envy by dissing ya.

... Now go see America with the wind in your face!
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:14:48 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Check with the dealer you ordered the bike from. They're probably more willing to cut a discount to someone who just bought a bike from them. H-D® makes passenger pegs and seats, and most dealers will sell less costly aftermarket parts too.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:14:49 AM EDT
[#42]
One of my neighbors bought a fatboy for 30 grand.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:18:28 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

... WTF do you need rear pegs for?

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:18:34 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I can hardly wait, the ship date is supposed to be 9/5 so this is going to be a long month.

<<-----<<<  I had to wait 8 months from the time I ordered to take delivery on my VRSCA and it was the first one on the street in Tulsa, so quit crying you pussy!
Congratulations! (Like Tom Petty said, the waiting is the hardest part!)
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:21:43 AM EDT
[#45]
Nice bike W_Wolf!
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:30:15 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sportsters rock, good choice.

Um, it is not a Sportster, it is a Dyna.

This is a Sportster 1200:
a1276.g.akamai.net/7/1276/734/7f382f1f6072d4/resource.harley-davidson.com/PR/MOT/2006/images/colors/w_spXL1200R_sse_dom_C15.jpg

Yahtzee! the turn signals threw me off for a minute.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:32:17 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was being sarcastic.

I know.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:35:29 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Translation: "I didn't buy a Harley and the guy that sold me my bike told me this so I'll feel better about what I bought".

Quoted:
One of my neighbors bought a fatboy for 30 grand.

And that had what effect on you?  I've got a neighbor that bought a $35K pick-up truck.  Didn't affect me at all.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:38:55 PM EDT
[#49]
Congrats!

A few words of advice to you:

Motorcycle Safety Foundation Rider Course

It's saved my life more than once. Take it... it's free.

Enjoy your scooter, and remember: cages kill.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:09:43 PM EDT
[#50]
I just bought a 2006 Night Train a few days ago. They are pretty smooth
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top