Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/5/2005 7:55:16 PM EDT
I'm having a horrible time with a disgruntle house wife.  Unfortunately this house wife happens to be an attorney married to an attorney.

I made a verbal agreement with her husband [who has been a long friend of mine since childhood] to own a dog together.  [I raise, sell, train hunting dogs].  His dog past away and he wanted a new one so we made an agreement together.  I would own the dog outright.  He would keep the dog at his place.  He would pay for its handling and entries in shows and trials.  I would train the dog and use it for stud.

Everything went fine with our agreement until about May of this year.  His wife [evidently she stopped taking her meds?] decides at random that I'm having an affair with the man.  Mind you we live about 100 miles apart and the last communication we had she was present [all fully clothed ]

She has rifled off emails to me asking me not to have any contact with him what so ever about the dog.  I told her I didn't have a problem working with her [in hopes to put to rest her crazy jealousy] so I made contact with her a few times inquirering about the dog.  She never responded.  

The man emailed me a few times asking a ball park time when I was planning to take the dog [I will need it for a few months to train it] and I gave him a ball park figure of July via email.  He wrote me back last week and asked again and I told him my schedule.  He was leaving to go out of town and asked if I could meet him and take the dog.  I wrote back  and said no problem.

All is fine.  WRONG Crazy woman evidently catches wind that on the way out of town at the public post office I will meet with her husband obviously to do rude and disgusting things with each other.  She rifles off 20 emails to me about how pathetic I am for wanting to have an affair with her husband.

I wrote her a brief email and told her that I did not want to perpetuate anymore games between her and her husband that if she was so worried about my "relationship" with her husband that she could do one of two things:  1: Buy the dog from me outright or 2: return the dog to me.  I left it at that.

I received another 5 emails from her threatening me with lawsuits [again she is an attorney] and that I have a legal obligation to work WITH her and fulfill my agreement with her.

I wrote her back and said that I would not have anymore contact with her and that any further contact on her part was unwelcomed.

She has emailed me back [can we see a pattern here] asking me if I was forfeiting my rights to the dog.  

Now the dog is valuable to me.  It is worth about $2500 which is a lot of money to me.  She has dumped the dog at my friends house with instructions to give it to me when I come for it.  Her husband has left for a week.  I truly want no contact with either of them.

My plan is to go get the dog in the morning and keep it.  Legally its mine [registered to me, licensed to me].  What do you think?  Should I just write off the money?  

Patty
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:00:44 PM EDT
[#1]
If they're both lawyers, sell the dog to them.  They should be able to come up with the money.  
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:03:20 PM EDT
[#2]
repo the dog. Life is too short to deal with twits.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:03:49 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
If they're both lawyers, sell the dog to them.  They should be able to come up with the money.  

I offered that.  He won't get involved she tells me I have to play her game or forfiet my right to the dog.  I even offered to sell the dog at the price of a puppy which is $700.

Patty
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:08:20 PM EDT
[#4]
In good ole fashion arfcom tradition do both! Hump the husband and take the dog!!
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:08:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Tell her the dog is dead.  You tried to do the most equitable thing by cutting the dog in half so you could each have equal shares but the dog was uncooperative.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:10:16 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
In good ole fashion arfcom tradition do both! Hump the husband and take the dog!!

Okay I know that suppose to be funny but its not.  I have to admit I'm sick of crazies too.  I'm trying to get my life on track and this kind of stuff keeps creeping in.  Nuts I tell you!  I can't figure out why.  Its just crazy.  Patty
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:11:17 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Tell her the dog is dead.  You tried to do the most equitable thing by cutting the dog in half so you could each have equal shares but the dog was uncooperative.

I thought of that!  The thing that is so sad is I doubt either really care about the dog.  He is a very nice dog too.  They're both nuts.  Him for perpetuating it and she's just plain wacked.  Patty
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:16:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:22:05 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Just go get the dog and keep it.  This was a verbal agreement, right?  If so, just take the dog back.  You're using him as a stud, anyway, right?

Well I would like to have him available but he's too young right now.  In all honesty I would rather sell him then keep him.  I just want to know if I'm with in my bounds.  My gut is telling me yes.  On paper he's mine.  Verbally she said for me to just take him.  But I'll be honest, because they're both attorney's I'm concerned and want to dot my i's and cross my t's.  Patty  PS Thank you for your input.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:23:33 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Everything went fine with our agreement until about May of this year.  His wife [evidently she stopped taking her meds?] decides at random that I'm having an affair with the man.  Mind you we live about 100 miles apart and the last communication we had she was present [all fully clothed ]

Patty

Having an affair and 100 miles apart? DAMN HE'S HUNG!!!  

Seriously though... lose your half and get the hell away as far as you can... It will cost you more in aggravation to you and your family than to stay and deal with this crap.

I dont need to tell you what happens when a friend's wife goes Psycho... trust me... I KNOW!
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:25:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Good advice DeFrige.  Most likely what i'll do.  I'm bummed though as I have a lot invested in the dog.  I also just bought a place of my own and am moving so the money would come in handy.  However peace of mind is worth a great deal.

Patty
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:31:01 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Good advice DeFrige.  Most likely what i'll do.  I'm bummed though as I have a lot invested in the dog.  I also just bought a place of my own and am moving so the money would come in handy.  However peace of mind is worth a great deal.

Patty

sound thinking.  Now repeat after me:  "No more verbal contracts!  No more verbal contracts!"
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:33:07 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Patty

sound thinking.  Now repeat after me:  "No more verbal contracts!  No more verbal contracts!"

I know.  I have contracts with all my other clients [I own lots of dogs with people] but I was intimidated that this guy was attorney.  This is his 8th wife so I didn't pay her any attention.  They come and go at whim.

Patty
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:44:04 PM EDT
[#14]
I have come to the conclusion that there are more of these people than normal ones.

Keep the dog. She told you to take it.
If they change their mind have them pay for the dog. Simple enough.

Keep all the emails, they might come in handy, and I would print copies of the entire line.

8 wives?
Like I said, plenty of people with excess baggage and emotional problems. God, I hate them.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:08:57 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I have come to the conclusion that there are more of these people than normal ones.

Keep the dog. She told you to take it.
If they change their mind have them pay for the dog. Simple enough.

Keep all the emails, they might come in handy, and I would print copies of the entire line.

8 wives?
Like I said, plenty of people with excess baggage and emotional problems. God, I hate them.

+1 keep close records, and screw these idiots.  We started standing up to this kind of moron and it has worked out great.  Let'em sue,  Judges often know who the idiot is if you can prove your case.  We've had everyone back off recently.  
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:11:18 PM EDT
[#16]
common sense has to agree with you.  I can't beleive anyone would actually think I'm so hard up I have to persue a relationship with this man.  Besides, Who cares?  Patty
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:20:01 PM EDT
[#17]
The poor dog.....they are always the victims....
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:35:20 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
The poor dog.....they are always the victims....

No kidding.  When he is with me he'll be loved and cared for.  Patty
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:43:31 PM EDT
[#19]
What kind of dog is it?

I've got an English Setter that is now almost 8. Still an excellent hunter though she is not as fanatical about it as she once was. No field trials, just grouse hunting in the forest all around here and I run her pretty good 3-4 times/week. She sure helped my shooting

My uncle raises and trains dogs. More trophies for his mutts than I could even count. He raises setters and pointers.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:48:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Patty,

I'm speaking her academically, and I'm not getting legal counsel.  I'm a lawyer in real life, but I'm really not too terribly interested in playing one on ARFCOM.

That being said, in most states the arrangement you described could be construed as a "common law" partnership.

A partnership is a common undertaking by two or more persons each of who contribute to the venture in various and different respects for a mutual gain.

If a court finds a partnership exists, all assets of the partnerships are owned in the eyes of the law by the partnership, i.e., in common, regardless of how they are formerly titled.

Example:   I did a business divorce a few years back for a very cute couple of women (and yes they were a _coulple_) who purchased and renovated houses together.  One gal had a rich father, the other gal had skills.   The gal with the money purchased the properties in her name, and titled them in her name.   The other gal did the architecture, construction management, and city developement approval work, as well as basically managing the selection, purchase, loan flips, and eventual sales of the properties.   When their relationship went to hell, I represented the "working" partner.   The court found a partnership existed and that the properties were partnership properties, despite the fact they were titled only in the name of one person.

I'd get a lawyer where you are and run the facts and the question of "partnership" under a common law unwritten general partnership framework by him.   The "other side" of your transaction has clearly contributed value to the mutual venture, and if I were in your shoes I would want some direct legal advice as to whether the course of action you outline might get you in hot water.  

By the way, when a partnership doesn't work out, the end game is dissolution of the relationship, and judicially supervised sale of the assets, with distribution first to creditors of the venture then to the partners.  In my state, the absence of a written partnership contract puts the spoils at a 50:50 split by default.  

Again, you've got enough money and exposure tied up in this thing (as well as a looney on the other side) that its probably good to lawyer up and have a letter sent to these folks re:  dissolving the relationship and getting bought out, or buying out, as the case may be.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:51:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Get a lawyer....YOUR lawyer.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:19:48 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Just go get the dog and keep it.  This was a verbal agreement, right?  If so, just take the dog back.  You're using him as a stud, anyway, right?

Well I would like to have him available but he's too young right now.  In all honesty I would rather sell him then keep him.  I just want to know if I'm with in my bounds.  My gut is telling me yes.  On paper he's mine.  Verbally she said for me to just take him.  But I'll be honest, because they're both attorney's I'm concerned and want to dot my i's and cross my t's.  Patty  PS Thank you for your input.

First of all you need to talk to a lawyer, a real one.  People here will respond to anything and give you stupid advice about 'verbal agreements' that could land you in serious trouble.  I don't want to see that happen.  Talk to a lawyer.  Even if you give the dog up they could come back at you for not fulfilling the training commitment, you need to talk to a lawyer!

You and I are in the dog biz, I could tell you horror stories about how 'right I've been', and follow it up with 'how much it cost me to be right.'  I could tell you about a lovely 2k dog that cost me 6k to get back and then sold for $800.

My advice would be to do nothing until you have something in writing and/or have talked with an attorney.  Don't depend on a verbal agreement or assume that some judge will "see your point".  More often judges tend to side with the weeping person that has had the dog with them for x months and just can't bear to part with little Fido and see you as the cruel person trying to make a buck. (I know that's not you, just speaking from experience)

I really hope this all works out for you Patty.  I'll be out of town all this month but you can reach me by cell if you need to.  Take care and please, call a lawyer.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:41:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Thank you Green_Ammo and Gonzo.  I appreciate the legal explanation and personal perspective.  I will get an attorney.  Patty
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:34:36 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Okay I know that suppose to be funny but its not.  I have to admit I'm sick of crazies too.  I'm trying to get my life on track and this kind of stuff keeps creeping in.  Nuts I tell you!  I can't figure out why.  Its just crazy.  Patty

Actually it wasn't supposed to be funny!
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:50:59 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually it wasn't supposed to be funny!

Good!  We're on the same page then.  Patty
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:12:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Tell her if she doesn't pay you off on the dog you WILL sleep with her husband!
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:50:06 PM EDT
[#27]

Save those emails on disk in a safety deposit box. They prove harassment and if they ever pull anything on you they will lose. Make sure you store them offsite because they probably know plenty of lowlifes, so recruiting one to trash your computer would be easy and the first step before they take you to court. Also CCW carry everywhere you go in case she becomes unglued (could happen because of a bad hair day with that type) and comes gunning for you. She is either nuts or on/off drugs so is capable of anything for no apparent reason. Warn your kids about her too. She’s probably stacking out your hubby to, so warn him about wild seductive women making the move on him. Yes, I think she is out to get you any way she can.

Eta: Keep the dog. If you let her have it she might think it's because you really are after her husband. Then she might hurt the dog. After all, it's from you so hurting it would come naturally to her.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top