Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/5/2005 6:32:43 PM EDT
I'm about to start my new job, and really need a good laptop that can go back and forth with me.  I don't want anything real fancy, just good and dependable.  I need a CD burner, internet accessability (wireless and land line) and reasonable memory, etc.  I don't play games or anything, so that stuff is no big deal.  I would like a decent size screen, 14"-15 1/2" or so, and don't want it to be too heavy.

I also want something that I can go pick up at a store, and not wait a week or two to have it delivered.  And remember, I am POOR, so price is an issue!

I am really leaning towards a Sony Vaio VGN-FS640/W.  I had a Compaq desktop that  I wasn't crazy about, and HATED their customer service, so they are off limits.

Any suggestions or recommendations?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:35:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Dell or Compaq (Yes Compaq, there laptops are good, desktops on the other hand)
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:37:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Do not get a Sony laptop.

Get a Dell. It won't take a week to get there, and for price vs quality, Dell is your best laptop option.

If you're really stuck on getting one in a store... look at the E-machines notebooks that Walmart has, honestly, they're not horrible at all. They do use some quality parts, but if you want a good warranty along with your other stipulations, you need a Dell.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:38:04 PM EDT
[#3]
The Dell 600m is a really nice and affordable computer. Its ultra light and exceptionally quiet, with a long battery life and more than adequate power. You can customize it online at Dell's website: a good system can be made for less than $900.

Btw, there is a 25% off sale for the 600m right now for a limited time only
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:39:37 PM EDT
[#4]
MM,

I had an IBM Thinkpad until January of this year.  It was a very good laptop.  

I don't know if they still make Thinkpads, I think they still do.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:40:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Sager.  No one else comes close.

Sager Notebooks
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:50:23 PM EDT
[#6]
There are 4 companies to look to when you need a laptop:

IBM
Dell (Latitude, not Inspiron)
Toshiba
Apple

EDIT:  Dell may have a store in a mall, check their website.  They may have to order it for you.  A laptop is a big purchase, so don't just go by what a store has on hand.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:52:37 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The Dell 600m is a really nice and affordable computer. Its ultra light and exceptionally quiet, with a long battery life and more than adequate power. You can customize it online at Dell's website: a good system can be made for less than $900.

DO NOT GET A 600.

They have a known desgin flaw.  They are to small and the hard drives overheat.  Get the D800.  They are great.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:56:04 PM EDT
[#8]

Ask and ye shall receive . . . .

THE DELL REFURB SITE --- HOME OF THE BEST COMPUTER PRICES IN THE UNIVERSE

Tell them Disconnector sent you

Disconnector
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:07:35 PM EDT
[#9]
I use an HP pavilion daily for the last 2.5 years. It's been great. I believe Best Buy still has them on close out.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:12:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Get a Dell or a IBM.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:15:45 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

DO NOT GET A 600.

They have a known desgin flaw.  They are to small and the hard drives overheat.  Get the D800.  They are great.

The worst I've heard about that is that it gets a bit hot running graphic intensive programs, something that MM won't be doing.

I know that theres a noticeable heat coming from the left palm rest due to the hard drive, but I've never heard of the hard drive overheating and failing (according to several friends who have the 600m)
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:17:28 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Get a Dell or a IBM.

+1

Danny
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:26:32 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

DO NOT GET A 600.

The worst I've heard about that is that it gets a bit hot running graphic intensive programs, something that MM won't be doing.

I know that theres a noticeable heat coming from the left palm rest due to the hard drive, but I've never heard of the hard drive overheating and failing (according to several friends who have the 600m)

I do work for BMW here in SC.  They got about 25 of them for all the ESA's about 3 months ago.  They have already replaced 4 of them.  I am sure the others will follow.  I have an 800 I got in Jan and it is great.  
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:30:15 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Disconnector

LOL,  what do you do after 21 days when your computer starts shutting it self off.  the cdrom does'nt open.  or your harddrive starts clicking.  and your screen says operating system not  found.   good recomendation.  

I would NEVER buy a used laptop.  that is too much money to spend on a computer, that has a extremely limited warranty..  
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:31:48 PM EDT
[#15]
MM:  I highly recommend a ThinkPad "T" series.  Yes, they are still made.
But it may not fit in with your requirement to pick it up at a store.

If you decide to change your mind and go mail-order, and decide that
the ThinkPad is the one you want...  IM me for a possible deal.

Disclaimer, I do work for IBM.  But I wouldn't lie about how good the
ThinkPad "T" is.  Look around the next time you are at the airport, and
notice what the "road warriors" use.

DanM
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:33:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Apple PowerBook 15. You'll never go back.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:35:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:38:40 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

as a former sony tech support phone monkey I agree
sony's are pure shit
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:55:02 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I'm currently using a T22 ThinkPad and it's my third ThinkPad. First was a 701C "butterfly", second was a 380.  Bulletproof hardware, totally compatable with Windows and well supported by IBM for drivers.

If you're going to go with Windows, that's the ticket.

As for me, I'm fed up with dealing with Microsoft.  Vista isn't going to be any great leap forward.  My next machine will probably be a loaded 15" PowerBook.  Mac native, *nix apps and the few Windows programs I need under Virtural PC.

Cheap, no.  Everything I need in one package, yes.

I'm planning to be on the road for awhile and I'm not willing to put up with XP's "quirks" when in the middle of nowhere.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:03:26 PM EDT
[#20]
I'd get a HP/Compaq or a Gateway with an AMD Athlon 64, you will save money and get a more powerfull CPU.  I would never buy Dell, ever.  Maybe some day when they decide to get out from under Intel like Gateway just did.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 12:03:11 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I'm planning to be on the road for awhile and I'm not willing to put up with XP's "quirks" when in the middle of nowhere.

That is precisely why I got mine. I was stuck 1500 miles from home with a bad PC and no installation disks, so I went out and got the Mac.

I've had fewer problems with this thing in the 9 months I've had it than I did in 9 DAYS with my other one. Screw it.

And don't anyone give me the "you have to know how it works" bullshit. I buy a computer to help me do my work, not create more for me.

Oh, and if you MUST go Windoze, I also recommend the IBM's. I had a few at work and always liked them. I've become pretty spoiled by wide screens now, though!
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 12:10:27 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 12:13:32 PM EDT
[#23]
I had to replace my Toshiba beater notebook, and I chose the Presario V4000 series.  This particular model came with a Pentium M 1.5Ghz, 512MB ram, 100GB disk, 15.4 widescreen, DVD+_R/CDRW drive, 802.11b/g and wired ethernet.  With the Centrino technology, my battery life is amazing.  I get 3 to 3.25 hours of battery life with the little 6 cell battery that came with it.  I can get a 12 cell battery that will almost double that battery life.  It's not the fastest notebook on the market, but I am terribly pleased with it.  My biggest peeve with my last notebook was battery life.  This one solved that, and is faster with more features.  I think after rebate I paid 800 and change.

Best thing to do, is find out WHAT you want in a notebook.  Once you figure that out, you can watch the local computer stores for a decent deal.  
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 12:17:13 PM EDT
[#24]
I am using a Dell Inspiron 6000 right now. I don't have a clue how much it cost as my wife bought it while we were apart. I'm very happy with it.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 12:21:24 PM EDT
[#25]
First, I just came off a gig where they supplied the laptop.  It was a Dell.  It sucked big time.
Job before that was a Dell laptop and it fell apart.

For my new gig I purchased my own laptop.

I just bought an HP DV1340US from CompUSA.  Sweet little jewel and it doesn't have the brain-dead Windows Home on it.  Do NOT get 'home'... it has an inferior IP stack and networks like Ted Kennedy tells the truth... poorly.  Make sure if you're going with XP, that you get Professional.

I've had Toshibas in the past and they were excellent, but their current models are too big for my current backpack.  And I don't want to lug a 9-pound laptop around the globe.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 12:27:14 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Disconnector

+1 they are pretty reasonable
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 12:30:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Toshiba or Dell. My first laptops were Toshibas... I should've stuck with them when I bought my bought my current one (HP - )
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 12:46:07 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Do NOT get 'home'... it has an inferior IP stack and networks like Ted Kennedy tells the truth... poorly.  Make sure if you're going with XP, that you get Professional.

The only "inferior networking" I've found with XP Home is the "Simple File Sharing" thing.  Not an issue for me, since I dont' share any drives or folders.  The TCP/IP stack works just fine.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 1:09:07 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Get a Dell. It won't take a week to get there, and for price vs quality, Dell is your best laptop option.

If you're really stuck on getting one in a store... look at the E-machines notebooks that Walmart has, honestly, they're not horrible at all. They do use some quality parts, but if you want a good warranty along with your other stipulations, you need a Dell.

+1
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 1:12:04 PM EDT
[#30]
I had a Winbook that ran fine.

www.winbook.com
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:17:26 PM EDT
[#31]
I really appreciate all the thoughts/suggestions!  Keep 'em coming!  

The Boss is taking me shopping tomorrow, so we'll see what follows us home!
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:29:42 PM EDT
[#32]
I just picked up my second Toshiba this week. Great computers. I got the following from Circuit city...it was on sale even more but that ended this weekend. But I think it still comes with a printer and wireless router!

Toshiba Satellite® Notebook PC (M45-S265)
TOS   M45S265 • Pentium® M processor 730
• 15.4" WXGA TFT display
• DVD-RAM combo drive  • 100GB hard drive
• 512MB DDR SDRAM
• 802.11g/b wireless  

Web Only Special

You pay: $1299.99
Mail-in rebate(s): -$100.00

Rebate Details

Price after rebate(s): $1199.99  

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:36:44 PM EDT
[#33]
I love the Gateway 6510GZ, got it for a grand at best buy.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:46:22 PM EDT
[#34]
removed
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:23:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:07:20 AM EDT
[#36]
# $700 off Select Inspiron Notebooks
Use Dell coupon 9$1L70WG$BM92K during checkout to get this deal at Dell SB. Offer valid online only for the first 2,500 uses. Dell copuon valid on the following 2 notebooks
# Inspiron 6000 w/ 1.60GHz P4, 512MB, 40GB, 8x DVD Burner - $1530 $830
# Inspiron 700m w/ 1.60GHz P4, 512MB, 60GB, 8x DVD Burner - $1521 $821
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:26:40 AM EDT
[#37]
I have seen about 25% of our dell laptop computers that the USMC bought overheat and kill over.  All the computer geeks here on base tell everyone to STAY AWAY!!!.

I'm not a computer geek but someone told me that the newer processors are moving so fast that the little fans can't keep them cool for long periods of time.  Apparently its not just Dells that are having this problem.  The guy told me a lot of computers are using slower processors because of this.  I guess bigger isn't always better, unless your talking about the motor and fan to keep the thing cool...
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:29:38 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:30:25 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
How about the ANUS

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=377844

Damnit.  Beat me by a few mintutes.... This is a must read
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:42:34 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:43:47 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I'd get a HP/Compaq or a Gateway with an AMD Athlon 64, you will save money and get a more powerfull CPU.  I would never buy Dell, ever.  Maybe some day when they decide to get out from under Intel like Gateway just did.

+1

Keep Stove_Pipe and myself employed!

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:46:47 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:
How about the ANUS

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=377844

Damnit.  Beat me by a few mintutes.... This is a must read

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:47:57 AM EDT
[#43]

I have given out 5 Sonys in the last year to employees here at work  and had no problems out of them at all. I have had issues with Compaqs falling apart on us. Plus all that horrible built in software the put on them is worse than a virus.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:48:38 AM EDT
[#44]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top