Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/5/2005 5:10:24 PM EDT
DeLay criticizes Houston's policy on illegal immigrants
He favors idea of withholding federal funding from cities that offer 'sanctuary'

By EDWARD HEGSTROM
Houston Chronicle
Aug. 5, 2005
www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/metropolitan/3297425
SUGAR LAND - House Majority Leader Tom DeLay criticized the city of Houston's "sanctuary" policy toward illegal immigrants in a speech Thursday night.

Speaking to a packed house of Fort Bend County Republican faithful, DeLay said he supported the concept behind legislation introduced by U.S. Rep. Tom Tancredo, R-Colo., that would withhold federal funding from cities such as Houston that refuse to enforce immigration law.

"It greatly concerns me that the police chief in Houston, Texas, has created a sanctuary in Houston by announcing that he is not going to enforce our laws," the Sugar Land Republican said, in response to a question about Tancredo's bill.

"That is unacceptable, and we hope to address it through Tancredo's legislation or other legislation."

Since 1992, a Houston Police Department policy has officially forbidden officers from enforcing immigration laws in most cases.

Mayor Bill White has said he supports continuing the policy, because he believes immigration is a federal matter and he wants to free police up to protect the city from violent criminals.

Police in Katy also have a court-ordered policy forbidding them from enforcing immigration laws. The order came as the result of a federal lawsuit filed after a 1994 police operation to pick up day laborers.

DeLay, who is seen as a key player on upcoming immigration reform legislation in Congress, said he would support a guest-worker program that would allow immigrants to come legally to the United States and then go home. But he said the government needs to step up enforcement of immigration laws first.

"Before Congress takes any significant legislation, we must secure our nation's borders," he said.

Two major proposals
Two major pieces of immigration are expected to be considered when Congress returns in September.

One proposal, sponsored by Senators Edward Kennedy, D-Mass., and John McCain, R-Ariz., would allow some illegal immigrants to work toward becoming legal residents and then citizens of the United States.

Senators John Cornyn, R-Texas, and Jon Kyle, R-Ariz., propose a tougher bill that would allow illegal immigrants to become guest workers, meaning they would have to go home after working here three years or more.

Cornyn and Kyle also propose tougher enforcement, including increased patrols at the border and new requirements on employers seeking to hire workers.

DeLay indicated that he would support legislation even stricter than Cornyn's. He does not believe illegal immigrants already in the country should qualify, and he does not believe guest workers should be allowed to bring their families.

Asked if he would support McCain-Kennedy, he said: "It's not going to do very well in the House, I'll guarantee that."

Places for detainees
DeLay noted that until now, even the federal government has not rounded up illegal immigrants in U.S. cities, because federal agents had no place to detain them. But he said that is changing under the new leadership at the Department of Homeland Security.

He encouraged local police to round up illegal immigrants, and promised that the federal government will find places to house them.

"If you pick up 50 or 100 of them, you can call the National Guard," he said. "Put them in tents."

He also said he did not support educating illegal immigrants or having their U.S.-born children become automatically U.S. citizens. But he said those would be harder to repeal.

DeLay also said he strongly supports legal immigration, which he says makes this country stronger.

He said immigration is a top issue among his constituents.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:49:48 AM EDT
[#1]
He can say that because it will never happen.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:41:13 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
He can say that because it will never happen.

"If you pick up 50 or 100 of them, you can call the National Guard," he said. "Put them in tents."

They should test him on that, I passed 50 of them on long point on friday afternoon
All they need is a couple of vans and a couple of chase cars with some good runners

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:46:00 AM EDT
[#3]
We need a city that will be a "sanctuary" from Federal Firearms law violations......

I guess there's already "sanctuaries" for marijuana...probably pedophiles too, if you look close enough.

Seriously I don't really blame the cities (and certainly not johninaustin personally) for this boondoggle.  The issue should be solved through employment restrictions.  Strict employment criteria, big fines and jail time for employers.

Border Patrol Agents that violate the laws, like this guy should be given a choice between deportation and loss of citizenship or 20 years, no parole.

www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2005/08/05/state/n164416D94.DTL
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:48:49 AM EDT
[#4]
talk is cheap, I want to see action.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 12:22:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd like to see our military use the same solution our southern border as the Mexican military uses on theirs.

Hummvs with belt feds and grenade launchers on top!!!
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 12:56:59 PM EDT
[#6]
The police should be able to ask everyone they arrest if they are here in the US legally.  If they are illegal, then they should serve their time in jail and get deported afterwards.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 1:14:12 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The police should be able to ask everyone they arrest if they are here in the US legally.  If they are illegal, then they should serve their time in jail and get deported afterwards.

That would be a good start. A KHP trooper I know stopped a van and it was full of illegals. No insurance which is common. He got ahold of INS and asked them where they wanted the illegals. They told him to let them all go. What a fuckin mess.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 1:26:05 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted: That would be a good start. A KHP trooper I know stopped a van and it was full of illegals. No insurance which is common. He got ahold of INS and asked them where they wanted the illegals. They told him to let them all go. What a fuckin mess.
 The Federal government spends our tax money, the state government spends our tax money.  But when a cop catches a vanload of federal/state lawbreakers, they won't go for a 2 for 1 special!  It's not their money being spent, it's our money!  
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:04:19 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That would be a good start. A KHP trooper I know stopped a van and it was full of illegals. No insurance which is common. He got ahold of INS and asked them where they wanted the illegals. They told him to let them all go. What a fuckin mess.

The Federal government spends our tax money, the state government spends our tax money.  But when a cop catches a vanload of federal/state lawbreakers, they won't go for a 2 for 1 special!  It's not their money being spent, it's our money!  

Why do they ONLY enforce the laws against TAXPAYERS, you would think we would be protected
instead of discriminated against, I need a Minuteman attorney to set these punks $hit straight
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:57:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Sanctuary cities in Texas?  Nah, according to the Texans around here that can only happen in a state full of fruits and nuts!  Must be a city named Houston in some other state.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:58:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Who had the idea first?

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 9:16:12 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted: Sanctuary cities in Texas?  Nah, according to the Texans around here that can only happen in a state full of fruits and nuts!  Must be a city named Houston in some other state.
 The mayor of Houston is big Lib.  He goes on bike rides with gays during "Pride Celebrations" to get votes.  The local economy is strong so he's sliding through Clinton-style even though he supports programs that will end up raising local taxes.

One of the hair-brained schemes the cronies are trying to pull is FEDERAL funding to "improve and expand" a LOCAL rail transit system.  The Houston MetroRail system has the highest number of accidents relative to it's small size!  There have been over 100 crashes since 2001.  Here's the situation.  Your money will pay for more accidents at a system that, hopefully, you will never ride on.  Al Qaeda doesn't need to visit Houston, TX at all.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:15:51 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Sanctuary cities in Texas?  Nah, according to the Texans around here that can only happen in a state full of fruits and nuts!  Must be a city named Houston in some other state.

Texas bashing rears its ugly head, again
btw: I wasn't born here, so you are not offending me
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:20:14 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Houston ain't part of Texas.

-Storm
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top