Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/5/2005 12:40:31 PM EDT

Gee, what a shock... NOT!

news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050804/wl_canada_nm/canada_canada_usa_immigration_col_1

Americans didn't flock to Canada after Bush win

By David Ljunggren Thu Aug 4, 2:55 PM ET

OTTAWA (Reuters) - Canadians can put away those extra welcome mats -- it seems Americans unhappy about the result of last November's presidential election have decided to stay at home after all.

In the days after President Bush won a second term, the number of U.S. citizens visiting Canada's main immigration Web site shot up sixfold, prompting speculation that unhappy Democrats would flock north.

But official statistics show the number of Americans actually applying to live permanently in Canada fell in the six months after the election.

On the face of it this is not good news -- Canada is one of the few major nations seeking to attract immigrants -- but Immigration Minister Joe Volpe was philosophical.

"We'll take talent from wherever it is resident in the world. I was absolutely elated to see the number of hits and then my staff said 'You know what? A hit on the Internet is after all just a hit'," he told Reuters on Thursday.

"I guess I'm happy Republicans and Democrats have found a way to live together in peace and in harmony," he said.

Canada generally tilts more to the social and political left than the United States.

Data from the main Canadian processing center in Buffalo, NY shows that in the six months up to the U.S. election there were 16,266 applications from people seeking to live in Canada, a figure that fell to 14,666 for the half year after the vote.

A spokeswoman for Canada's federal immigration ministry declined to speculate on the reasons for the drop.

Toby Condliffe, who heads the Canadian chapter of Democrats Abroad, did have an explanation of sorts.

"I can only assume the Americans who checked out the Web site subsequently checked out our winter temperatures and further took note that the National Hockey League was being locked out and had second thoughts," he told Reuters.

Last year, Canada, which has a population of about 32 million, accepted 235,808 immigrants from all over the world.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:41:40 PM EDT
[#1]
posers
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:42:02 PM EDT
[#2]
To bad..... :(
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:42:10 PM EDT
[#3]

But, alas, official statistics show the number of Americans actually applying to live permanently in Canada fell in the six months after the election.

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:43:10 PM EDT
[#4]
What do you expect from sheeple?  They bluster and moan, but they don't follow through.  Dang it!
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:43:57 PM EDT
[#5]
My offer still stands.  I will pay for up to five libs to leave this country, BUT they must denounce thier US citizenship, AND never come back to this country.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:44:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Damned shame, really....
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:45:04 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Too bad..... :(

+1

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:45:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Do they want a few million illegal mexicans?

They can have them, no questions asked.

I'll even load them up for them.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:46:02 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
My offer still stands.  I will pay for up to five libs to leave this country, BUT they must denounce thier US citizenship, AND never come back to this country.

I could proably take one or two as a service to my country
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:48:20 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
What do you expect from sheeple?  They bluster and moan, but they don't follow through.  Dang it!

Yea.  the first time W won I think half of Hollywood had promised to leave the country.

Most were  Film Actors Guild members, like Alec Baldwin.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:50:18 PM EDT
[#11]
You all haven't been giving them the proper "motivation" to leave.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:18:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:27:34 PM EDT
[#13]
I can transport some. Hell, I'll set up a "libs leave the country for good" shuttle run each day M-F.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 3:01:30 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yea.  the first time W won I think half of Hollywood had promised to leave the country.

Most were  Film Actors Guild members, like Alec Baldwin.

I'm still waiting for him to leave. Guess he is full of it as usual. Poser.....
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 3:18:13 PM EDT
[#15]
They didn't leave because Bush didn't WIN the election.  He STOLE it.

ETA:  Remember, they didn't count all those Exit Polls that showed Kerry had the lead.

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 3:25:38 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I could proably take one or two as a service to my country

+1 Count me in for a few everlasting service hours
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 3:26:42 PM EDT
[#17]

"I guess I'm happy Republicans and Democrats have found a way to live together in peace and in harmony," he said.

BWA HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Peace and harmony!

BWA HAHAHAHA! That's a good one!

Imagine the peace and harmony that Berkeley and san Francisco hippies would unleash on a conservative's ass for wearing a "Bush '04" T-shirt.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 3:32:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Blowhards.   Wind bags
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 3:55:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Has any strong stonach Arfcomer posted that News Flash on the DUm-DUm site yet

I can't help but wonder how they are going to take it.

After a few seconds of thinking:
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 4:48:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Canada is a pretty good place, about 235,000 Immigrants a year should be able to fuck it up pretty quick.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 4:52:33 PM EDT
[#21]
My friend moved to Ireland with his wife (who has dual citizenship) this year.  He says it's because the schools are better for his kids (hard to argue with that) but I have a sneaking suspicion they moved because Bush was re-elected.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top