Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/5/2005 10:17:39 AM EDT
Howabout some .22LR 10/22? Australia looks for ways to end cane toad menace Fri Aug 5, 7:31 AM ET

CANBERRA (Reuters) - Australian scientists were given A$3.6 million ($2.7 million) Friday to find a biological way to combat the rising population of poisonous cane toads.

ADVERTISEMENT

The pests have spread across northern Australia since 100 cane toads were imported from Hawaii in 1935 in a bid to fight greyback beetles, which were threatening the country's sugar cane fields.

"The cane toad is a blight on our landscape," Australia's Environment Minister Ian Campbell said.

He said the state-owned Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organization (CSIRO) will conduct research into ways of manipulating cane toad genes to stop tadpoles from becoming adult toads.

"While short-term measures like traps are important to slow the toads down, their capacity to breed means we will not stop them for good unless we find a biological solution," he said in a statement.

Australia has fought the cane toad menace for four decades but has been unable to stop the spread of the toxic creatures, which have highly poisonous sacs behind their heads that quickly kill native animals that prey upon them.

Cane toads now number in their millions and are so toxic that crocodiles, death adder snakes and wild dingo dogs can die of cardiac arrest within 15 minutes of eating them.

Australia's environment department says cane toads have been expanding their range across tropical northern Australia by up to 50 kilometers (31 miles) a year, while they are moving south by about 1.6 kilometers (1 mile) a year.

Female cane toads can lay 8,000 to 35,000 eggs at a time and may produce two clutches a year. The toads reach maturity within a year and have a lifespan of at least five years.

($1=A$1.32)

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:19:35 AM EDT
[#1]
well the obvious answer is to ban them with a law.  it works on violence and firearms doesnt it?
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:20:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Finally, a use for the .17 HMR.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:21:12 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
well the obvious answer is to ban them with a law.  it works on violence and firearms doesnt it?

"For the Children!"

That's getting up there with "I'd hit it," "Shoot the dog?" etc.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:25:06 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn, you two make me proud to be an ARFCOMMER.
I'm not worthy.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:25:25 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Now that would be explosive! A little sub-1 pound critter would be turned into an exploding ball of meat.

Ben
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:38:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Just give every 12-13 year old boy a pellet gun. Yeah, that should just about take care of it.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:45:56 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Now that would be explosive! A little sub-1 pound critter would be turned into an exploding ball of meat.

Ben

Exploding ball of poisonous meat.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 3:41:05 AM EDT
[#8]
You need a belt fed .17HMR...those bastards are EVERYWHERE by their thousands
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 4:22:02 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
You need a belt fed .17HMR...those bastards are EVERYWHERE by their thousands

Since you mentioned it...

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 4:39:58 AM EDT
[#10]
These fucking disgusting worthless invading zombie toads have over run my neighborhood.

I need a can and night vision to correctly exterminate them with my M4gery without alerting the
neighbors who'll view my actions as murdering wild-life.

They eat my dog's food and hop around my property all night long free-loading and scavenging.

Get a good look at these disgusting invaders, they will rule the world.

HS1

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:00:02 AM EDT
[#11]

Originally Posted By fadedsun

Cane toads now number in their millions and are so toxic that crocodiles, death adder snakes and wild dingo dogs can die of cardiac arrest within 15 minutes of eating them.

So what's the problem? Are there a lot of death adder lovers over there?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:00:24 AM EDT
[#12]
we use golf clubs and stuff :)
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:01:39 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:25:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Lick it....

Link

Although single toad skins are somewhat small, says Mark C. Underhill of the development office, they make "quite attractive" wallets, purses and even outerwear if artfully sewn together. If you can't lick them, join them.

Taffy
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:53:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Nuke them from orbit. Only way to be sure.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top