Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/5/2005 9:36:46 AM EDT
Forgive me folks, since I can't search GD, and I haven't seen it myself in looking: But, it looks like despite being the number one non-fiction book, and a rally taking place in Cobb County (near Atlanta) to promote it, Neal Boortz' book (co-authored with Congressman John Linder) hasn't made an impact here. Somebody please prove me wrong!

fairtax.org

Boortz wants to organize a rally on the MALL in WASHINGTON. If you like this idea as much as I do, it will either live or die by the turnout for such an event!

Also see:

The High Priest of the Church of the Painful Truth Himself
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:34:43 AM EDT
[#1]
I've been a big advocate of the FairTax for about 5 years.  I write letters to my elected officials, call local radio talk shows, and generally try to spread the word as much as I can.

The problem with a rally in DC is that even though this idea may enjoy very broad support, supporters of it usually have jobs and other responsibilities that hinder their ability to fly across the country to march on the capital.  Liberal causes have the ability to draw from a pool of "professional protesters" (or at least that's the way it appears) who have nothing else to do.

Then again, if it were on a weekend or on some holiday that made it possible for me to go, I would seriously consider it.

--Mike
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:36:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Here is the thread that I started. I am halfway through the book now and I am 100% sold on the idea and I am still scratching my head trying to reason why anyone would be against it. www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=375205
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:44:22 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I am still scratching my head trying to reason why anyone would be against it.

Anyone who already pays NO INCOME TAXES, ie: welfare families will be against it. Anyone who is hung-up on their pseudo-business-expenses will be against it. Anyone who gets their votes from welfare families will be against it.

PS: I have a degree in Economics, among others, and have been a fan of what was formerly called a Value-Added Tax for years. I also think that the "Fair Tax" has less than a snowball's chance in hell of getting passed if for no other reason, it abolishes the IRS and that is one of the strogest arms of .gov in controlling the prols.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:48:13 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I am still scratching my head trying to reason why anyone would be against it.

Anyone who already pays NO INCOME TAXES

The thing is, they will not realize the difference because taxes are passed on to the consumer and are included in the prices already.  The price chance will be nill.  Of course, trying to explain that to someone who is too poor to pay taxes would be a waste of time.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 1:53:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, there may be many powerful (or just pitiful) enemies of the FairTax, but people are just going to have to stand up for themselves, and believe that this is possible in order to make it happen. I wish I had a way of making the concept more widely known on ARFCOM, if for no other reason that out of the thousands of casual visitors here, a few in every state might be motivated to talk to their elected reps!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top