Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/5/2005 8:46:31 AM EDT
well they only waited a few days maybe they can catch the bastards that killed are marines.

1000 us marines on a payback mission with help from spec ops ohhhhhhhhhh heads going to be popping off this time

ASSWHOOPIN TIME

U.S. offensive begins after attacks on Marines
Military cites concern about stronger insurgent explosives

Friday, August 5, 2005; Posted: 10:15 a.m. EDT (14:15 GMT)

BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- The U.S. military has launched a new offensive against insurgents and foreign fighters in western Iraq's Anbar province, an area that has been the scene of a string of deadly attacks on American forces this week.

About 1,000 U.S. Marines and Iraqi soldiers are participating in Operation Quick Strike, which began Wednesday.

The offensive was not retaliatory but planned in advance of three insurgent attacks that killed 21 Marines earlier this week in Haditha and Hit, Sunni Arab cities along the Euphrates River, said Lt. Col. Steve Boylan, director of the U.S.-led Combined Press Information Center.

Since spring, several American offensives have been conducted in this region along the Euphrates that snakes into Syria. The U.S. military said it is hunting down fighters reportedly infiltrating Iraq from the country's long, porous border with Syria.

On Friday, Iraqi special operations forces directed a Marine airstrike on insurgents firing from buildings near Haqliniya, southwest of Haditha.

A U.S. military statement said Quick Strike's "objective is to interdict and disrupt insurgents and foreign terrorists' presence in the Haditha, Haqliniya and Barwana area."

The military said intelligence gathered in recent operations shows "that terrorists are operating in these cities and surrounding areas."
Stronger explosives

The military also said it was concerned that insurgents were developing stronger explosive devices, such as the weapon used in an attack that killed 14 U.S. Marines near Haditha on Wednesday.

Military sources said they believe recent evidence suggests neighboring countries are being used as routes to smuggle "shaped charges" into Iraq.

These types of explosives produce concentrated blasts that penetrate targets such as armored vehicles. The Marines killed in Wednesday's roadside blast were using an amphibious assault vehicle.

It's not known whether U.S. forces have captured such shipments or if these explosives were used in the deadly Haditha attack.

The blast that killed the 14 Marines marked one of the deadliest attacks on American forces in the Iraq war.

Six Marines also died Monday in a firefight in Haditha, and a suicide bomber killed another Marine that same day in Hit. Twenty-eight U.S. troops have died in Iraq this week.

The number of American forces killed in the Iraq war stands at 1,825, according to the military.
Other developments

# A meeting scheduled for Friday among top Iraqi political leaders to deal with issues in the struggle to draft a constitution was postponed until Sunday to give more people a chance to participate, President Jalal Talabani's office said. A draft of the constitution faces an August 15 deadline to be handed to the transitional National Assembly. It must meet the assembly's approval before moving to a public referendum in October.

# Iraqi Prime Minister Ibrahim al-Jaafari on Thursday outlined a security plan to combat insurgency. The plan seeks to improve intelligence and communications coordination, develop quick intervention forces, fight corruption and smuggling, enlist the help of citizens, build international ties to defeat terror and follow up on a recent crackdown to secure Baghdad. "We are saving no efforts, no funding, no budget to support this plan to stand up to terrorism," al-Jaafari said.

# Five Iraqi security officers died Thursday in and around the northern city of Kirkuk, police said. Gunmen in the center of Kirkuk shot dead three police officers and wounded another, Maj. Gen. Anwar Mohammed Amin said. Two police commandos died and four others were wounded when a car bomb exploded near Kirkuk, Amin said.

ASSWHOOPIN TIME 2

U.S. offensive in volatile western Iraq
Area is where 14 Marines died in bombing Wednesday

Updated: 12:02 p.m. ET Aug. 5, 2005

BAGHDAD, Iraq - About 1,000 U.S. Marines and Iraqi forces launched attacks in western Iraq in an operation aimed at disrupting insurgents and foreign fighters in the Euphrates River valley, the U.S. military said Friday.

The operation, dubbed Quick Strike, began Wednesday with Iraqi soldiers and Marines positioning their units, said a military statement. They focused on an area centered around the cities of Haditha, Haqlaniyah, and Parwana, about 130 miles northwest of Baghdad.

On Wednesday, 14 Marines and their civilian translator were killed when their vehicle was hit by a massive roadside bomb near Haditha as they were traveling inside a lightly armored vehicle.
Story continues below ↓ advertisement

On Friday, U.S. and Iraqi troops, including Special Operations forces, moved into the city of Haqlaniyah, the Marine statement said. U.S. jets conducted an airstrike on insurgents hiding in buildings outside of the town.

House-to-house searches
Residents in the area said U.S. and Iraqi forces had cordoned off Haqlaniyah, about 140 miles northwest of Baghdad, and began conducting house-to-house searches. American warplanes were hovering overhead and a number of heavy explosions were heard. Witnesses said 500-pound bombs were being dropped in the area.

The U.S. military has defended its operations in western Iraq, insisting it is reducing insurgent attacks, despite the deaths of the 14 Marines. The extremist Ansar al-Sunnah Army claimed responsibility in a Web posting and said its fighters used two bombs to destroy the vehicle.

Four more U.S. service members were killed in action Wednesday, the military said — three in Baghdad and one in Ramadi.

U.S. military spokesman Brig. Gen. Donald Alston said American military operations in Anbar province, which includes the area where the Marines died, have succeeded in disrupting insurgent activities.

“We still have deaths. We still have suicide car bombs,” he said. “But the numbers we see indicate (the insurgents) can’t generate the same tempo, and I think that’s because we’ve had some degree of effect in interdicting these forces.”

RELATED COVERAGE

Deadly attacks increase pressure on Bush

‘Tempo has decreased,’ general says
Alston cited figures showing there were 13 car bombs in Iraq last week — the lowest weekly number since April. “There’s a clear indication to me that the tempo has decreased.”

U.S. troops have stepped up operations in recent months in Anbar, the center of the Sunni Arab-dominated insurgency and a major avenue for foreign fighters infiltrating the country from Syria.

Alston warned that militants will likely rally their forces in a concerted effort to derail the country’s political progress, including a referendum on the constitution in October and an election in December.

The president’s office said a key meeting scheduled for Friday by political leaders to hammer out differences in the draft constitution has been postponed until Sunday. The statement issued Friday did not say why the meeting was delayed.

The gathering was called by constitutional committee chairman Humam Hammoudi, who promised the National Assembly that the draft charter would be ready by the Aug. 15 deadline, provided the country’s political leaders reach compromises on key issues including federalism, the role of Islam, and distribution of national wealth.

Prime Minister Ibrahim al-Jaafari spent Friday in Najaf meeting with the country’s top Shiite Muslim cleric, the highly influential Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani. The two were expected to talk about developments with the constitution.

U.S. leaders, who pushed hard for the committee not to seek an extension on completing the charter, considers the constitutional process vital to maintain political momentum, undermine the insurgency and pave the way for the Americans and their coalition partners to draw down troops next year.

More powerful roadside bombs feared
U.S. commanders have warned that although the number of vehicle and roadside bombings are decreasing, they are increasing in potency and sophistication. Bombs on the roads or planted in vehicles account for 70 percent to 80 percent of the U.S. deaths in Iraq, command spokesman Lt. Col. Steven Boylan said.

A roadside bomb late Wednesday killed three U.S. soldiers in Baghdad, the U.S. command said. A Marine was killed Wednesday by small arms fire in Ramadi, the capital of Anbar province 70 miles west of Baghdad, the command added.

At least 1,826 members of the U.S. military have died since the Iraq war started in March 2003, according to an Associated Press count.

Al-Jaafari announced a new 12-point security plan. He gave few details but said it included steps to improve intelligence, protect infrastructure and prevent foreign fighters from entering the country.

“We will not hesitate in saying this: We are in a state of war. It is one of the most dangerous types of war because it is not a conventional or a war of borders,” he said.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:48:26 AM EDT
[#1]
prayers sent.

May God aid them in doing what must be done.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:49:23 AM EDT
[#2]

The offensive was not retaliatory but planned in advance of three insurgent attacks that killed 21 Marines earlier this week in Haditha and Hit, Sunni Arab cities along the Euphrates River, said Lt. Col. Steve Boylan, director of the U.S.-led Combined Press Information Center.

And so what if it was? Man, that is the message we WANT to send...you kill some of us, we will kill LOTS of you. You hit us with a rolled up paper, we hit back with a sledgehammer.

There is nothing wrong with retaliatory strikes.....
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:49:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Revenge is at hand!
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:49:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Go git 'em.

Fuggin' goat-fucking pole smokin' muslim fucktard asshole bitches.

I hope the Marines have plenty of bacon strips to go around.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:50:19 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
prayers sent.

May God aid them in doing what must be done.

the terrorist have no idea what they just brang upon themselves i hope the marines level that city and i few others and march west toward syria.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:51:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Get some Devil Dogs. Payback's a bitch.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:51:30 AM EDT
[#7]

I can not imagine what it would feel like to know that you have 1000 pissed off Marines all gunning for you.

Go get 'em, Marines!
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:51:33 AM EDT
[#8]
oh well, same shit, different day. we'll go in and kick the shit out of them then we'll leave and let them resupply and rebuild and do the same shit all over again in a few months.

this was fucking cool though...

On Friday, Iraqi special operations forces directed a Marine airstrike on insurgents firing from buildings near Haqliniya, southwest of Haditha.

enough of this, in problem areas 24/7 and we won't have to go back in...
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:54:34 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I can not imagine what it would feel like to know that you have 1000 pissed off Marines all gunning for you.

Go get 'em, Marines!

and they are armed to the teeth to no ty i would not want to piss them off

and the snipers want revenge to can you say .50 cals bullets be sent down range  ouch
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:58:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:04:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Kick some ass boys.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:09:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Some times revenge is NOT best served COLD, but HOT (with LEAD!)

Semper Fi, Devil DAWGS!
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:09:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:15:40 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Get some Devil Dogs. Payback's a bitch.

+1

Semper Fi

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:17:40 AM EDT
[#15]
I really hope they catch some of those bastards!!!
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:24:20 AM EDT
[#16]
It may not have been planned as a retalliatory strike.
But, you can bet your ass it will be conducted as a retalliatory strike by the Marines involved.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:30:41 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
It may not have been planned as a retalliatory strike.
But, you can bet your ass it will be conducted as a retalliatory strike by the Marines involved.

yeah i saw what they wrote that this was planned in advance oh well give the marines some needed time to avenge their friends and buddies.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:31:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Get Some!
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:51:13 AM EDT
[#19]
BTT
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:54:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Payback in spades.  OOOHHHRAH!!!
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:55:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Unless it involves a WTC sized can of VX nerve gas, stamped on the side "RAID" and "MADE IN THE FUCKING U.S.A., BITCH" I hesitate to call it an offensive.  This is all well and good but it won't bring back the 20+ Marines.  Will it prevent 20+ more from dying?  I don't know.  Somehow given what we're dealing with, I doubt it.

Time to call in Uncle Sam's Orkin man and end this shit once and for all.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:55:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Leave the cameras out of this and I bet revenge will be swift and deadly. Damn media.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:58:33 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Go get 'em, Marines!

'

The ING is part of that number too, but I don't think it's a large part of the force. No more than 400.

Ben
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:00:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Do you really think they will get it right this time??? You can't fight with your hands tied behind your back.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:03:34 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Get some!  Hope 1000 is enough.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:05:00 AM EDT
[#26]

Go get some payback, boys.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:05:56 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Do you really think they will get it right this time??? You can't fight with your hands tied behind your back.

Yes.

Ben
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:06:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Although it isn't rocket science, I called this a couple of days ago in the thread about the 14 Marines killed by the IED. Good! I hope they kill a shitload of those bastards.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:09:33 AM EDT
[#29]
Don't tell any indiginous people what we're planning or our guys may get ambushed again.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:12:20 AM EDT
[#30]
Payback's gonna be a royal bitch for those ragtops.....

Go get 'em, fellas!

HH
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:15:10 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:43:29 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

And so what if it was? Man, that is the message we WANT to send...you kill some of us, we will kill LOTS of you. You hit us with a rolled up paper, we hit back with a sledgehammer.

There is nothing wrong with retaliatory strikes.....

+1
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:48:15 AM EDT
[#33]
KTALGSTO
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 11:28:29 AM EDT
[#34]
Good to hear, but ultimately futille if they are going to stay on the Iraqi side of the Iraq/Syria border.

Face it... the WOT has stalled beacuse our leadership has lost its vision & balls.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 11:35:54 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Good to hear, but ultimately futille if they are going to stay on the Iraqi side of the Iraq/Syria border.

Face it... the WOT has stalled beacuse our leadership has lost its vision & balls.

I would say more like an unidentifiable enemy. Gotta pick the bad from the "good"
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 11:36:27 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

when haven't they gotten it right? killing these cocksuckers isn't the problem, it's keeping them from coming back in and stirring the shit up again that's getting guys killed and that won't change til we start sending enough guys in to hold territory.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 11:47:24 AM EDT
[#37]
If they are getting shaped charges into Iraq... many more US personel are going to die
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:01:47 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would say more like an unidentifiable enemy. Gotta pick the bad from the "good"

Not quite... www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=361042
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:17:24 PM EDT
[#39]
ITS CLOBBERING TIME

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:19:07 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not quite... www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=361042

As a believer that they should all die, we as a nation have to make sure we only get the "bad" ones. We can never win fighting like that,
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:23:25 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
well they only waited a few days

Both that AND your topic title are False, and I expect deliberately so.

Try reading some CENTCOM press releases, or some details on the MilBlogs or BelmontClub, and learn that the operations have been underway for some time in the area, with a new multi-city push kicking off earlier this week which is why those Marines were under fire in the first place

Kindly amend your gross mischaracterizations of the sequence of events. Kindly go read something more than the LLLib-MSMs f'n negativist spin on the Operation, and kindly shut the fuck up until you do.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 2:05:56 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Note to Mister Clean,

We: Good

Syria: Bad

Carry on.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 2:48:55 PM EDT
[#43]
I remember seeing Russian “leaf” anti-personnel mines back in the 80s. The Ivans kicked that shit out of the back of cargo planes by the millions.  Time we did it to the Syrian border... About a k deep and liberally interspersed with anti-tank equivalents. It’s what 500 Kilometers long? About 8 million should do it quite well.

Of course the Jihad Johnnies would eventually just come through Turkey, Iran or Saudi-Arabia.

But that first “month of stumps” would be a thing to behold.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 2:58:36 PM EDT
[#44]
I think its about time some JDAM's land on Syrian President Assad's place of residence, 2000 lb bombs have a way of getting one's attention.  

If I had my way, it would be a B-83 at full yield, its the only way you can be sure you got their attention.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 3:03:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Just imagine the shitstorm if we invaded Syria, too.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 3:06:22 PM EDT
[#46]
They need to do something about the influx of insurgents into the country.  Somehow seal the borders with either mines or troops to kill anything that moves near the border. Its a near impossible feat.  Either that or invade whoever is letting them into Iraq.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:27:57 PM EDT
[#47]
BTT

wonder if the fucking media would stay at camp so the marines can get the job done faster and without   having to worry about the media getting them in to trouble.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:47:08 PM EDT
[#48]
it's war, and bad nasty fucking ways people die.  no remorse no quarter given, un restricted open warfare should be conducted on everyone or any country that support the fuckin jihadists. if there's country cant or wont stop them then, open warfare to all who support or looks the other way. any means necassary.
let the devil dogs loose and exact revenge and total extermination on these fuckheads who support or sympathize with them. imho

god bless our troops.

our prayers go out to the family and friends who have made the ultimate sacrifice to protect our freedom!

meat
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:49:49 PM EDT
[#49]
update well looky looky they are using 155mm arty shells for booby traps.among other things

www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8827629/

Updated: 7:57 p.m. ET Aug. 5, 2005

BAGHDAD, Iraq - U.S. Marines and Iraqi troops pounded insurgents with bombs and tank cannons Friday during a major offensive along a stretch of the Euphrates River valley where 22 Marines were killed this week.

About 800 U.S. Marines and 180 Iraqi soldiers moved into Haqlaniyah, one of a cluster of western towns in Anbar province around the Haditha Dam that is believed to be a stronghold of Iraqi insurgents and foreign fighters.

Heavy Abrams tanks battled insurgents armed with rifles and rocket-propelled grenades, while U.S. jets destroyed at least four buildings — two of which were found booby-trapped with explosives, a U.S. military statement said.

“The wires were connected to numerous 155-mm artillery rounds scattered throughout both buildings,” the military said.

Operation Quick Strike is the third major campaign since May aimed at rooting out insurgents and foreign fighters in the Euphrates valley, which is believed to be a major infiltration route for extremists entering Iraq from Syria.

www.dod.mil/news/Aug2005/20050805_2347.html

'Quick Strike' Moves Into Area Where Marines Were Killed
American Forces Press Service

WASHINGTON, Aug. 5, 2005 – About 1,000 Iraqi security force soldiers and U.S. Marines from Regimental Combat Team 2 moved into the city of Haqliniyah, Iraq, and the surrounding area today as part of Operation Quick Strike.

The operation began Aug. 3 with Iraqi soldiers and U.S. Marines positioning their units.

Coalition forces confirmed through gathered intelligence that terrorists are operating in these cities and surrounding areas.

Iraqi special operations forces this morning directed an air strike on terrorists hiding in buildings outside of Haqliniyah, about seven kilometers southwest of Haditha, where 20 Marines were killed in two widely reported attacks this week. Marine pilots attacked terrorists who were using these buildings to fire small arms at the Iraqi forces.

Elsewhere during the operation, while searching for evidence of terrorist activity, Iraqi soldiers and U.S. Marines came across two adjacent buildings with wires running between the structures. The wires were connected to numerous 155 mm artillery rounds scattered throughout both buildings. The two buildings were subsequently destroyed.

Tanks also fired on a building in Haqliniyah that terrorists were using to engage coalition forces with small-arms and rocket-propelled-grenade fire.

The intent of Operation Quick Strike is to interdict and disrupt terrorists' presence in the Haditha, Haqliniyah, and Barwanah areas, U.S. officials said. About 800 U.S. Marines and sailors and 180 Iraqi soldiers are participating in the operation.

In other news from Iraq, a 45-year-old Iraqi man died Aug. 4 from multiple organ failure as a result of gunshot injuries suffered while engaging coalition forces.

The detainee was evacuated to the 86th Combat Support Hospital on July 24 and underwent extensive surgery on his chest, arm and abdomen, officials said. He was transferred to the 344th Field Hospital in Baghdad on July 26, where he developed a serious tissue infection. Despite aggressive antibiotic therapy, the infection spread to the blood and eventually resulted in multi-organ failure and death, officials said.

The remains will be transferred to the family upon completion of an autopsy. This is standing procedure for all detainees who die while in custody of Multinational Force Iraq, officials said.

Also on Aug. 4, Iraqi security forces supported by coalition forces conducted a joint search for known terrorists in the Nasr area, just northwest of Nasiriyah. Iraqi and coalition forces detained 17 suspects and confiscated nine vehicles during the operation.

Elsewhere, Iraqi army soldiers detained three suspected terrorists after targeted searches in Mosul today. No injuries or damages were reported during the operations.

Terrorists attacked Iraqi police officers eating lunch near the market in Old Baqubah on Aug. 4 with small-arms fire. The officers returned fire and pursued their attackers, eventually catching two of them. The detainees were transported to a nearby jail for questioning.

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:51:19 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:
well they only waited a few days

Both that AND your topic title are False, and I expect deliberately so.

Try reading some CENTCOM press releases, or some details on the MilBlogs or BelmontClub, and learn that the operations have been underway for some time in the area, with a new multi-city push kicking off earlier this week which is why those Marines were under fire in the first place

Kindly amend your gross mischaracterizations of the sequence of events. Kindly go read something more than the LLLib-MSMs f'n negativist spin on the Operation, and kindly shut the fuck up until you do.

hey assfuck hate to tell you but from the dods website this latest operation started on AUGUST 3rd 2005 not a few weeks ago.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top