Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/5/2005 7:40:35 AM EDT
I've been noticing a very mild squeal in my rear tires when making a sharp right turn (I don't make many lefts here. Long story...)

What causes tire squealing, and should I be checking something (other than tire pressure, which I keep forgetting to check).

This is on an Isuzu Trooper.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:41:49 AM EDT
[#1]
could be a limited slip or locking differential that isnt releasing as it should, or it could be that you are getting on the gas too hard in the corner.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:41:59 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I've been noticing a very mild squeal in my rear tires when making a sharp right turn (I don't make many lefts here. Long story...)

What causes tire squealing, and should I be checking something (other than tire pressure, which I keep forgetting to check).

This is on an Isuzu Trooper.

Thanks.

Live axle or IRS?

What kind of differential?
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:42:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Tires squeal when they are breaking contact with the ground.  This isn't always a bad thing.  It can be caused by turning too fast, and yes low tire pressure is one thing that could make it happen at lower speeds.  If  you check that and it still does that, then get an alignment.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:43:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Your tire pressure is too low.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:43:54 AM EDT
[#5]
The noise is caused by high frequency vibrations as the rubber slips on the asphalt. As to why your tires are slipping, I haven't got a clue.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:44:04 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
could be a limited slip or locking differential that isnt releasing as it should, or it could be that you are getting on the gas too hard in the corner.

+1
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:44:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Your tire pressure it too high.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:45:13 AM EDT
[#8]
It's a solid rear axle.

No, I'm not mashing the gas, which is why I was surprised to hear it.

An alignment wouldn't surprise me in the slightest considering the abjectly shitty conditions the roads (if you can call them that) in Mexico are in. Damned speed bumps every 30 yards.

The ones at U.S. Customs are MOUNTAINS, man!
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:45:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Maybe you're taking corners like your a WRC driver or something.  
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:46:42 AM EDT
[#10]
It's obvious the nut behind your steering wheel is loose!  

ETA:  Are you comming across bridge 2?

Because, IIRC, the customs are concrete is slick, like inside a store... the road surface is certainly a contributing factor...
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:48:11 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:04:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Check your tire pressure!!  Unless you want to use my wife's method of tire pressure monitoring.  She waits until the wheel covers are popped off by the sidewall of the tire before she figures anything is wrong.

If she knew I told you all this, it would be the couch for me!
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:06:55 AM EDT
[#13]
because you are going to fast and the tires loose traction.

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:09:43 AM EDT
[#14]
You have shitty tires
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:11:43 AM EDT
[#15]
It's the spirits of all the rubber trees trying to get out.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:30:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Shiit i thought you were asking for a sciientific physics question! Not a car prob one. Well anyway wheels squeak when excess energy is put into them. That energy is radiated out in the form of heat and sound! just like a gun.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:34:11 AM EDT
[#17]

My tires squeal to tell me I'm approaching the limits of cornering.  I consider it a courtesy reminder, it's rather soothing on the autocross course.

Jim
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:51:05 AM EDT
[#18]
After carefully considering all the hypotheses put forth thus far, and cross-checking them against the accepted laws of physics, I have concluded that this theory is clearly the most logical and factual:

Quoted:
It's the spirits of all the rubber trees trying to get out.

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:00:31 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Oh, I kknow about that already!

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:15:17 AM EDT
[#20]
My tires do that. I find that some tires don't and some will. If I make a really sharp left turn my tires will squeel especially when it hits something slippery like the paint they use for road surfaces.

My 00 Vic is RWD with limited slip. I have Kumho KH11s running 36-38 psi cold.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:57:41 AM EDT
[#21]
It just means that they're working, not necessarily a bad thing.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 11:04:46 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Yup. Almost every 4X4'er will give that same response.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 11:04:47 AM EDT
[#23]
I see you're drinking 1%, is that because you think you're fat? Cuz you're not, you could be drinking whole if you wanted to.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 11:41:59 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I see you're drinking 1%, is that because you think you're fat? Cuz you're not, you could be drinking whole if you wanted to.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top