Posted: 8/5/2005 7:36:37 AM EDT
www.jobrelatedstuff.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=372405

Files refute Reservist's Iraq story

Files refute reservist's Iraq story
Haab detained 7 at state rest stop

Robert Anglen
The Arizona Republic
Aug. 3, 2005 12:00 AM

When Patrick Haab was arrested in April for holding seven undocumented immigrants at gunpoint at an Arizona rest stop, the Army reservist described himself as an Iraq war veteran and used that status to generate financial support and sympathy from around the country.

But military records obtained Tuesday by The Arizona Republic show that Haab never served in Iraq and indicate that he was on the verge of being removed from the military because he was paranoid, threatened to kill himself and pulled a knife in an altercation with fellow soldiers.

In February 2004, Haab was removed from his unit in Kuwait, the records show, after he reportedly told a commanding officer during an Arabic cultural awareness class that he "just wants to kill all of the camel jockeys," including a Muslim soldier in his own unit.  

As a result of that incident and an apparent suicide attempt moments later, Haab was transferred back to the United States for a mental health evaluation at Fort Bragg and Walter Reed Medical Center, records state.

The records are in stark contrast to the picture Haab painted of himself at the time of his arrest: a dedicated and meritorious soldier who just wanted to return to duty.

Haab refused to talk about his military service or the issues contained in the records when contacted via cellphone Tuesday. "I can't talk," he said. "I have nothing to say."

According to the records, he received counseling for five months and a military official said "he did not think Sgt. Haab was ready to return to duty or become a functioning part of society." Military officials found out that while on "med hold" at Fort Bragg, Haab spent $12,000 on a .50-caliber sniper rifle. (Oh teh noes!@!21! A .50 caliber sniper rifle!!@ )They were concerned enough to contact the Surgeon General's Office.

At the end of October 2004, Haab's unit demobilized.

Haab moved to Mesa in January and took a job as an Army reservist in Deer Valley. In previous interviews Haab said that he moved to Arizona to join another military unit and was preparing to go to Afghanistan.

Haab's current military status is unclear. Records and e-mails show that officers in that unit were concerned Haab was hiding his mental-health issues and questioned his fitness for duty.

On April 10, Maricopa County sheriff's deputies arrested Haab and charged him with seven counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon after he drew his pistol on seven immigrants in an encounter at a desolate Interstate 8 rest stop.

Haab has repeatedly said his decision to draw his gun was a case of self-defense and said he feared for his life when the immigrants rushed toward him in the darkness.

Haab, who has accused the Sheriff's Office of wrongful arrest and has demanded $1 million in compensation, spent four nights in jail before all of the charges were dismissed by the Maricopa County Attorney's Office.

Barnett Lotstein, special assistant to the Maricopa County attorney, said Tuesday that the military records do not affect the decision not to prosecute Haab. "The fact that he had blemishes in his past would not be relevant," he said.

County Attorney Andrew Thomas dismissed charges against Haab because of a state law that allows citizens to make an arrest when a felony has been committed. According to Thomas, all seven of the immigrants were committing felonies: the smuggler in planning the operation and the six immigrants in "conspiring" to illegally cross the border.

Haab's arrest and subsequent release triggered a storm of protest on both sides of the immigration issue and has prompted a review by the U.S. Department of Justice to determine if Haab violated federal civil rights laws.

Haab maintained that race had nothing to do with his decision to stop the immigrants, but following his arrest he became a celebrity on conservative talk radio and television shows where he said immigrants were turning the country into "Americo," a combination of America and Mexico.

Sheriff Joe Arpaio said Tuesday that the military records speak for themselves.

"I've said it before and I'll say it again: You don't pull guns on people because of the color of their skin," the sheriff said, adding that the decision to arrest Haab was the right one. "I will continue to defend my deputies. They made the right decision."

The Sheriff's Office collected Haab's military records as part of its investigation and released them to The Republic, which filed a request under the state's open records law.

Haab played up his military service in jail interviews after his arrest and on a Web site dedicated to building his defense fund, which refers to Haab as a sergeant and pictures him in full military dress.

A local resident who put up Haab's $10,000 bail bond said he wanted to help the soldier. Haab and his family said repeatedly that they had gotten support from veterans across the country, who have described Haab as a hero and patriot.

Haab joined the reserves in 2001 and served with distinction in a civil affairs battalion in Kosovo, where he was awarded multiple service medals.

Records show that military officials became concerned that Haab was experiencing stress related problems at the end of his service in Kosovo in 2003. They say by the time he transferred with his unit to Kuwait in 2004, he had become "distant, uninterested in training and paranoid."

In media interviews, Haab acknowledged taking doctor-prescribed anti-depressants while in the military, saying he was suffering from stress after his friend died in a roadside bombing. There is no mention of that in the records.

According to the records, military officials said that when Haab's unit was delayed in the Czech Republic because of an aircraft problem, "Sgt. Haab thought it was a conspiracy to blow up the hotel with the entirety of his (unit) in it."

Two months after arriving in Kuwait, the records state, Haab was pulled out of the cultural awareness class by his superior and ordered to talk to a chaplain. A few hours later, he became distraught, threatened to commit suicide and got into a scuffle with military officials attempting to take away a hidden knife.

Haab's lawyer, Douglas Loefgren, said Tuesday that he could not comment on the records because he had not had a chance to review them. He questioned if the records should have been released at all. \
There's nothing quite like kicking a guy when he's down, eh?
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:37:35 AM EDT
[#1]
$12,000?  he got ripped off
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:40:43 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Yep, he's definitely not an arfcommer, or he would've known better.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:41:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Even if this is true, the broken clock is right twice a day.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:43:23 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, he's definitely not an arfcommer, or he would've known better.

$12,000.....he IS crazy...

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:44:21 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Even if this is true, the broken clock is right twice a day.

LoL!! well said.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:45:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Maybe the price included some really nice glass and a bunch of ammo.

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:50:49 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
[In February 2004, Haab was removed from his unit in Kuwait, the records show, after he reportedly told a commanding officer during an Arabic cultural awareness class that he "just wants to kill all of the camel jockeys," including a Muslim soldier in his own unit.  

Well, regardless of the situation, this part really has me scratching my head...this shit has to stop.

Can you imagine Patton giving his troops a talk on European or German cultural awareness before going like sh*t through a goose across France?

I know this sh*t has been going on for quite some time, with the whole diversity and tolerance BS that is being spread not only in the work place, but also in the military.

Between this crap, and coppers having to take their shoes off before raiding a ROPer house kind of stuff, we all may as well convert, and start bowing to Mecca 5 times a day, because we are going to lose this war....
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:57:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Considering that the Arizona Republic is disgustingly pro-illegal alien, I would take anything negative about Haab they print with a grain of salt.

I don't care what kind of mental problems or anything else this guy has, he still shouldn't be prosecuted.

Also, while he wasn't actually in Iraq, he was Kuwait as part of the war effort so technically he is an Iraq war vet.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:58:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Sounds to me like someone is desperately trying to spin the story after the lawsuit:

Don’t know if Haab violated any laws but the paper being in possession of his medical records is certainly a violation of the law.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 2:42:58 AM EDT
[#10]
We should send Haab back to the border or back to Iraq! [ If he really is crazy, then he can go crazy on the illegals and the on terrorists.  If he isn't crazy, then we've got one dedicated man who is up for to job and can make a capture singlehanded!  A win-win situation.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:11:12 AM EDT
[#11]
What is interesting is that htey released Medical records. That is a violation of HIPPA, if it came out in court it would be one thing, but prior to court, the coounty lawyer is als prejudicing the jury pool.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:31:20 AM EDT
[#12]
So the kid served honorably until the stress got to him. BFD. Everything I read does nothing to diminish his service...which, by the way, is pretty darn close to his previous accounts. He served honorably and meritoriously in Kosovo...and then was transferred to Kuwait. It is my understanding that Kuwait is still considered the Iraqi theater so he will get a pass from me on that one. (An aside: Remember that show "Who wants to marry a millionaire?" The "bride" from the show got hammered by the press for claiming she was a Desert Storm vet when in fact she never left the US. It was then explained that while it was true that she was stationed in Colorado, she was an air force air traffic controller for jets over Iraq and Kuwait. She also gets a pass from me.)

Sheriff Araipo is an asshat for trying to destroy this kid. The kid's a vet and apparently one who needs some help. Fuck Araipo.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top