Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/16/2001 1:22:49 AM EDT
be when the fighting to restore the people to their rightful place starts?

Have you considered your own logistics?

Have you cached that ammo, reloading components, spare parts, all those extra guns you can not possibly carry?

Medical and surgical supplies, anti-biotics, dressings, something for pain, or?

How about drinking water, filtration, decon, long term storage?

Long term storage food, items to cure foodstuffs, cooking gear, studied how to make smokeless fire pit to cook and keep warm during the cold spells?

How about reading a map, land navigation by good ole compass? Your GPS is a no-no, there are GPS detectors that can locate your GPS unit to within a few feet, not registering the unit does not work!

Fuel, long term storage of fuel, how to make fuel?

Have you determined how much weight you can hump when there is no transportation, or how far you can hump it? Not an easy task!

What about your family?
The women need sanitary items, or alternatives!

Do you have the skills needed to deal with any potential enemy, through guerrilla efforts?

Just some of the questions you need to ask yourself, because it may be closer than you think, or care to know!
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 2:18:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Today's date is 7-16-2001, not 12-31-1999, you are aware of that, aren't you?
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 2:41:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
View Quote

Did I mention Y2K anywhere, I think not?
No, I did not buy into the Y2K bullshit as you infer!
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 4:11:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

The date just means we are all a year and a half closer.

sgtar15
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 4:13:36 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm ready, I have 4 years reserve of oreo's!! screw guns and water.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 4:41:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

How about reading a map, land navigation by good ole compass? Your GPS is a no-no, there are GPS detectors that can locate your GPS unit to within a few feet, not registering the unit does not work!
View Quote
Granted, one needs to learn to read a map and nav by compass, but the GPS detectors?  What a laugh.  If yours is recieve only, which mine is, there is no GPS detector if yours does not transmit.

You really hope for a civil war don't you andre.  You've never seen combat have you.  Don't be so damn eager.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 4:43:45 AM EDT
[#6]
At your house, drinking filtered water and downing antibiotics!
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 4:45:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Well not looking forward to SHTF scenario myself, but having lived in earthquake country I always try to be prepared for emergencies. Have case of MRE's, first aid, etc. Enough to last about 2wks.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 4:46:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Andy,

The only person who can perform all of your survival skills is [b]MacGuiver[/b]!

M.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 5:06:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Oh BTW andreusan, you left out the most important part of preparedness in you list.

PHYSICAL FITNESS

You would NOT last a day in a SHTF scenario if you are not physically fit, I don't care how prepared you are. You may last an extra hour than most people. Fatigue will be your enemy. Unless you are running at least a mile and half a day and doing some weight training, your toast. Really cracks me up when I see or meet guys that claim to be militia and are here to defend the country with their beer guts hanging out, smoking cigarettes, eating big macs and pork rinds. Yah right.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 5:28:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Riding in a black helicopter with my team.

Have you cached that ammo, reloading components, spare parts, all those extra guns you can not possibly carry?

Long term storage food, items to cure foodstuffs, cooking gear, studied how to make smokeless fire pit to cook and keep warm during the cold spells?
View Quote

Don't have to worry about that.  We have all the supplies and logistics in place before we start operating.

View Quote

Well, we already have GPS units.  Plus our satellites can relay real-time imagery information down to us.

Have you determined how much weight you can hump when there is no transportation, or how far you can hump it? Not an easy task!
View Quote

"No matter how much lightweight gear SOCOM buys, the ruck still weighs 100 pounds."

What about your family?
View Quote

I let local LE protect my family when I am away.

Do you have the skills needed to deal with any potential enemy, through guerrilla efforts?

Just some of the questions you need to ask yourself, because it may be closer than you think, or care to know!
View Quote

Well, as you so cunningly pointed out in a different thread, we are all training for MOUT now.

[rolleyes]
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 8:37:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Riding in a black helicopter with my team.

View Quote

Don't have to worry about that.  We have all the supplies and logistics in place before we start operating.

View Quote

Well, we already have GPS units.  Plus our satellites can relay real-time imagery information down to us.

View Quote

"No matter how much lightweight gear SOCOM buys, the ruck still weighs 100 pounds."

What about your family?
View Quote

I let local LE protect my family when I am away.

View Quote

Well, as you so cunningly pointed out in a different thread, we are all training for MOUT now.

[rolleyes]
View Quote

The new version of blackhawk down, coming to a neighborhood near you?

Link Posted: 7/16/2001 9:56:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The new version of blackhawk down, coming to a neighborhood near you?

View Quote

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!   No, ok... wait... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

[rolleyes]
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 10:28:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Just love the negative vibes that come from a handfull of those who have CHAT BOARD RAGE!!!!

HEY, Why is CHAT BOARD RAGE not a crime yet???
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 10:33:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 12:39:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
[moon]
View Quote

Did you try to pull your head out of there? I'd bet it is stuck!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 1:06:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 1:25:23 PM EDT
[#17]
All you can do is improve.  My fitness is improving from poor to moderate.  I ride my bike to work when the weather allows (or days I know I have no errands to run).  I am up to 100 pushups every other day and try to make it to the range once or twice a week.  My equipment is getting better but come on!  If I ordered all the "necessary equipment" some guys list the bill would kill me forget a hostile chemical attack.  I am of the opinion that if I were to get to the physique of Arnold and the list of "necessary items" in redundant caches, WTSHTF I would probably get hit by a armored personel carrier.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 1:39:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
All you can do is improve.  My fitness is improving from poor to moderate.  I ride my bike to work when the weather allows (or days I know I have no errands to run).  I am up to 100 pushups every other day and try to make it to the range once or twice a week.  My equipment is getting better but come on!  If I ordered all the "necessary equipment" some guys list the bill would kill me forget a hostile chemical attack.  I am of the opinion that if I were to get to the physique of Arnold and the list of "necessary items" in redundant caches, WTSHTF I would probably get hit by a armored personel carrier.
View Quote

Surely, it is nothing to dwell on always, but being ready is good for the soul!
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 2:40:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By LARRY G:
Granted, one needs to learn to read a map and nav by compass, but the GPS detectors?  What a laugh.  If yours is receive only, which mine is, there is no GPS detector if yours does not transmit.

You really hope for a civil war don't you andre.  You've never seen combat have you.  Don't be so damn eager.
View Quote

I was thinking the same thing. Commercial GPS units are mini-computers with an extensive built-in map database that calculate the time signals are received from GPS satellites, distances, and hence.. position.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 3:35:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Bush Hamster:
Granted, one needs to learn to read a map and nav by compass, but the GPS detectors?  What a laugh.  If yours is receive only, which mine is, there is no GPS detector if yours does not transmit.

View Quote

I was thinking the same thing. Commercial GPS units are mini-computers with an extensive built-in map database that calculate the time signals are received from GPS satellites, distances, and hence.. position.
View Quote

This guy Larry G. has his head up his rearend, to think GPS can not be located even though they, as he says, "do not transmit!" Easy as passing wind with the tech. toys of today!

Larry G. should tell that one to those in Great Briton who are arrested and put in jail for 30 days, for having an un-licensed tv reciever, (yes Larry G. we know they do not transmit), simply because all these devices have a signature, but he will not because, LARRY G. nows better!
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 3:52:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 3:57:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 3:59:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Well, what you posted sounded exacty as the BS that was going around back then. Come on, don't try to tell me you thought no one would post a response like mine?
Where's your sense of humor?
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 4:13:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Well, what you posted sounded exacty as the BS that was going around back then. Come on, don't try to tell me you thought no one would post a response like mine?
View Quote

I guess it went over my head! Now the flames will really start!
You may not believe this but, I did not however even think of Y2K, to me it was a repeat of 1000 year old history of another time!
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 7:32:28 PM EDT
[#25]
View Quote

I guess it went over my head! Now the flames will really start!
View Quote

Please be gentle. [;)]

You may not believe this but, I did not however even think of Y2K, to me it was a repeat of 1000 year old history of another time!
View Quote

One more time please?
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 7:35:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Some of you are so paranoid, it's laugh out loud funny.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 8:37:36 PM EDT
[#27]
It doesn't hurt to be a little prepared, or at thought about it.  It won't be the end of the world scenario, but how about a hurricane, earthquakes, a leaking railroad tank cars, inclinate weather?  I know a lot people were scarced $hitless during the '92 L.A. riots.  My friend bought a Sig 229 even though he couldn't pick it immediately because of the Calif. 15-day waiting period.
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 2:11:45 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Garand Shooter:
Quoted:
Originally Posted By Bush Hamster:

View Quote

View Quote

This guy Larry G. has his head up his rearend, to think GPS can not be located even though they, as he says, "do not transmit!" Easy as passing wind with the tech. toys of today!

Larry G. should tell that one to those in Great Briton who are arrested and put in jail for 30 days, for having an un-licensed tv reciever, (yes Larry G. we know they do not transmit), simply because all these devices have a signature, but he will not because, LARRY G. nows better!
View Quote

A TV is not a GPS reciever. A TV generates its electric signal that it puts out in the process of coverting the signal into the seperate signal that is projected onto a screen. The signal it puts out is pretty weak, and the "tv police" in the UK have to be pretty close (under 100 feet usually) to detect it. A GPS reciver will have some signal leakage, but very, very little... so little it would be undetectable . Comparing the signal leakage of a large object that plugs into the wall and sucks up lots of power to one that lasts hundreds of hours on 2 AA batteries is not a valid comparasin, not even close.

On the other hand, a real reason to not depend on GPS is that fact that the signal is controlled by the military and can be turned off at any time, and that the Russians have put a GPS jammer on the open market for the last couple years.
View Quote

You are right it is a poor example, so all of you that believe the little toys in the movie ENEMY OF THE STATE are real, it is just hollywood movie hype that is all!!!!!

So do not be so paranoid when you use those little toys, because of stories guys like me make up time to time, oh well back to R&D!!!

Yes the military can shut down GPS, but don't they also have control of the net????, NAH, just making up some more BS for the un-knowing!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top