Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/5/2005 5:19:19 AM EDT
Anyone ever change muffler to one that actually works?

M4-AK
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:45:22 AM EDT
[#1]
...also, what's a good wiring setup for temporary hurricane use. Do most of you use 25' or more cables into the house?

M4-AK
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:43:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes, some mufflers will indeed do a better job. IMO, the longer styles do a better job than the short, fat types. Virtually any lawnmower or small engine shop should have a lot of options for you.

As for cable, keep it short! Voltage drop can & will apply, unless you go to oversized cables to compensate for that.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:52:22 AM EDT
[#3]
When you take off the old muffler are there threads for 1/2 or 3/4 pipe?  If so, you can plumb it out to the point where you can put a bigger muffler on it.  Should be able to get something at your local hardware or automotive store.  Farm stores may be the best option for odd sizes, but I don't know if those are available where you are.  I agree the little mufflers that come on them are pretty much cosmetic.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:55:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Check this web site for wire size.  http://www.csgnetwork.com/wiresizecalc.html

I would think you would need about number 4 copper if a 5000 kw generator going 25 feet.  That is a SWAG tho.  YMMV.  Good luck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top