User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/5/2005 5:15:13 AM EDT
www.wftv.com/news/4811007/detail.html

Mom Threatens To Blow Up Courthouse After Daughter's Sentencing

POSTED: 4:32 pm EDT August 4, 2005
UPDATED: 5:25 pm EDT August 4, 2005

BARTOW, Fla. -- The mother of a young 12-year-old car thief stormed out of a Polk County courtroom Thursday. She threatened to blow the place up out of anger over the 10-year sentence that was just handed to her daughter.

"This is a very serious, serious event," said Judge Charles B. Curry.

Curry sentenced 12-year-old Dekyra Bush to a total of 10 years in state custody for taking a joyride in a car back in June and then hitting two Polk County sheriff's cruisers before deputies fired a total of nine shots into the car to stop her.

As she was being led away by bailiffs, Dekyra's mother burst out of the courtroom. The judge had Sharon Bush brought back before him, but didn't find her in contempt. She could of spent up to six months in jail, but instead once again left the courtroom without her daughter.

The woman, who weeks ago railed against the system that exonerated deputies for firing on her kid, now had another cause to complaint about.

"I'm gonna blow this #@%$ up," Bush said. "That's how upset I am."

Also during sentencing, the judge said what the 12-year-old did was not just a delinquent act, but implied she had endangered the public.

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:16:05 AM EDT
[#1]
!!
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:20:54 AM EDT
[#2]
What a stupid bitch.  The judge should of thrown her sorry ass in jail.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:21:03 AM EDT
[#3]
God,  I can't believe parents today.  If I was that kid,  I would have never made it to court.  My dad would have taken care of everything,  then apologized to the judge for my behavior.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:21:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Maybe if the mother did her job right raising her daughter, her daughter would have known that stealing a car is a very bad thing to do.

They should sentence the mother to 10 yrs as well and make them share a cell. It would be the best thing for the both of them.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:27:20 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Curry sentenced 12-year-old Dekyra Bush to a total of 10 years in state custody for taking a joyride in a car back in June and then hitting two Polk County sheriff's cruisers before deputies fired a total of nine shots into the car to stop her.

That explains about everything.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:27:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Animal. Have a nice life in the PJs.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:29:49 AM EDT
[#7]
The judge should have locked the moms ass up.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:30:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Negligent parenting.

One of the main characteristics of today's society.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:32:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Wow! This time it really is all Bush's fault.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:32:04 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

BARTOW, Fla. -- The mother of a young 12-year-old car thief stormed out of a Polk County courtroom Thursday. She threatened to blow the place up out of anger over the 10-year sentence that was just handed to her daughter.

...She could of have spent up to six months in jail, but instead once again left the courtroom without her daughter.

..."I'm gonna blow this #@%$ up," Bush said. "That's how upset I am."...

Grammatical errors aside:  What a wholesome, upstanding family!  That judge is a heartless clod who should be ashamed of himself.  Why, every 12 year old girl embarks upon an occasional foray into car theft, wanton endangerment and thuggery, don't they?!   Why, it's as much a part of growing up as getting her first crush on a boy, right?  "Awwww loooook!  Little Dekyra is getting her boobies, just stole her first car, and just got shot at by the MAN for the first time, Awwwwwww!
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:32:17 AM EDT
[#11]
making terrorist threats, she should be in jail for 10 years too
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:35:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Here's what happened to land the little princess in the slammer: (it's a PDF file).

www.polksheriff.org/briefings/news/2005/deputyinvolvedshooting.pdf
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:38:23 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm sorry, I don't agree with putting a 12 yr old in jail for 10 years.  It's just not right.

PS - I'm no libe either.  Read some of my other posts.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:44:36 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I'm sorry, I don't agree with putting a 12 yr old in jail for 10 years.  It's just not right.

Well with a mother like that it's no surprise how she turned out.

Maybe that was the only way they could get the girl away from that wackjob.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:48:04 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

It's almost certainly not a 10 year prison sentence. It is in all likelihood 10 years of supervision, including up to (IIRC) 2 years in a juvenile lockup and lots of home detention, ankle monitoring, and probation.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:49:59 AM EDT
[#16]

As she was being led away by bailiffs, Dekyra's mother burst out of the courtroom. The judge had Sharon Bush brought back before him, but didn't find her in contempt. She could of spent up to six months in jail, but instead once again left the courtroom without her daughter.

What kind of site is this?  They let this grammatical error slip through.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:50:38 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm sorry, I don't agree with putting a 12 yr old in jail for 10 years. It's just not right.

PS - I'm no libe either. Read some of my other posts.

I don't know the law there, but it may be the only way to get that kid help.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:52:56 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

What the hell would YOU do with her?

Besides, it's not like she's going to real jail. Get over it.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:54:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Best thing is to get that kid out of that household.  She might have a chance.

That stupid cow better be glad I wasn't the judge.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:55:04 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I think it should of been more time for the little criminal.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:58:53 AM EDT
[#21]
+1 on the sentiment that this is much too harsh.

10 years for a 12 year old?  All we are doing is making a future miscreant who will murder.

This 12 year old would be better served being placed into a new family that can raise her properly.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:02:19 AM EDT
[#22]
The bad thing is most of those juvey lockup programs are just a college course for bigger crimes. No doubt it's the mom's fault.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:02:39 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I guess we should just release her back to the custody of her loving concerned mother then?
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:04:20 AM EDT
[#24]
shit begets shit
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:14:38 AM EDT
[#25]
Bravo for the sentence. Street-smart kids know that they can pull stuff like she did and there will be no consequences. Also, mom should have been placed in the slammer for her terroristic threats.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:17:15 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

First things first.  I highly doubt that she will be spending ANY time in jail, let alone 10 years.  I mean she is only 12.  Sounds more like juvi-hall, followed by some type of probation and, suspended sentence.  

Lets not forget she did steal a car, hit 2 sheriffs office vehicles, and was eluding police.  This was not some sunday joy ride.  

I think the name dekyra and the actions of her mother pretty much sum up the problem all together.  

Know what I mean.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:33:10 AM EDT
[#27]
After reading the full account of the incident, I find it interesting that she fled from police. She obviously knew what she was doing was wrong or she feared the police in general.

Either way, as others have mentioned, she did more than just go for a joyride.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:33:27 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

10 years for a 12 year old?  All we are doing is making a future miscreant who will murder.

This 12 year old would be better served being placed into a new family that can raise her properly.

With who , someone who doesnt own a car ? .
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:34:44 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

The mother should have been jailed for making the threats.

If the little girl was trying deliberately to run over the officers then she got what she deserved , 12 years old or not.
If she just couldn't handle the car *more likely* then she got screwed, ten fucking years for being a stupid 12 year old?
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:36:14 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh no?
watch a movie called "sleepers" and tell me what a real jail.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:37:04 AM EDT
[#31]
What did the father have to say about any of this?

No mention of him anywhere.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:38:06 AM EDT
[#32]
Lock up the mom as well. She made a direct threat.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:40:14 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

To harsh.  What would you do.  Release her back into the jungle that is the ghetto where she grew up.  God forbid someone commits a crime in this country and actually gets punished for it.  

It could be worse, in other countries they cut off your hands for stealing, why, so you can't do it again.

" All we are doing is making a future miscreant who will murder"  what do you think will happen when she's allowed to steal cars unchallenged?  I don't think this will lead to college, or a life time as a productive member of society, do you?
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:44:43 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh no?

Yes, because we all know movies are real and stuff.  

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:47:16 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

The alternative, leaving her with the mom, wouldn't be agreeable either, at this time.  They both just might have anger and behavior problems that lead to things like this.  Justice is rarely perfect.  

I don't think we'd have any trouble putting a 12 year old boy in Juvenile Hall for the same thing.

10 years seems a little excessive, especially when compared with Hollywood style justice.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:47:41 AM EDT
[#36]

"I'm gonna blow this #@%$ up," Bush said. "That's how upset I am."

Once again, it's Bush's fault.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:50:47 AM EDT
[#37]
Lock 'em up...stiffer sentences for juvinile offenders might keep a few more thugs off the streets, at least for a little while.  I thought they had to release juvi perps when they turned 18?  That's part of the problem right off the bat.  They should just send 'em straight to adult prison from juvi.  
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:51:37 AM EDT
[#38]
I would have passed a sentence of a very painful whooping, public embarrasment and  much hard labor. Lots of time to think about what she did. However, I would not imprison a 12 YO child. Thats not the solution to the problem. IMO, it will only compound it. She'll come out of prison so messed up that she'll be a public burdon here entire life.  
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:52:12 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The mother should have been jailed for making the threats.

If the little girl was trying deliberately to run over the officers then she got what she deserved , 12 years old or not.
If she just couldn't handle the car *more likely* then she got screwed, ten fucking years for being a stupid 12 year old?

She definately did NOT get what she deserved.  The officers MISSED for crying out loud!!!  

"Remedial firearms training on aisle 9."
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:53:14 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
What did the father have to say about any of this?

Good point Pangea.  WHERE IS THE FATHER?

But maybe get her away from the household she is in.  Maybe ten years will get her half a chance in this world.  You never know.  

They should have jailed the mom.  Come on folks, it's post 9/11 and I thought we took those kind of threats seriously.  

But this is what happens where there is a lax policy in the household when it comes to parenting.

Just my .02.  
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:04:45 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh no?

Do you base everything you know off of what you have seen in movies?

Have you ever seen inside or dealt with the Juvenile Justice System? Particularly in Florida? Sje's not getting a true prison sentence.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:07:32 AM EDT
[#42]
This is a sad story all the way around...on a lot of different levels.

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:55:57 AM EDT
[#43]
A twelve year old gets 10years for a joy ride while rapists and child molesters get a few years????

Yea, I'd be pissed off too.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:00:31 AM EDT
[#44]
People actually think she is going to be behind bars for 10yrs?

Give me a break, maybe some juvie hall, lots of probation and restrictions but certainly not 10yrs in jail. Good grief some reactions here are like reading DU.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:07:40 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:14:30 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Give me a break, maybe some juvie hall, lots of probation and restrictions but certainly not 10yrs in jail. Good grief some reactions here are like reading DU.

The point is, that the judge gave her 10 years.  They give child molesters less.  
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:25:41 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:26:34 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The point is, that the judge gave her 10 years.  They give child molesters less.  

Maybe this judge doesn't give child molesters less.  Sure others may, but not necessairly this guy.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:44:17 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Geez, maybe a makeover would help.  

Kinda ASS backwards that child molesters get out with far less time.  
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:51:12 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
What did the father baby daddy have to say about any of this?

Fixed it for you.  

Quoted:

Miscreant: one who behaves criminally or viciously.  This "sweet girl" stole a car, ran from police, and used a car as a weapon against two cops.  Nobody would have any sympathy if she killed a deputy or other civilian on her spree of criminal mischief.....and it sounds like dumb luck she didn't.  I'll wager this wasn't her first criminal act either......probably just the first time she's been caught.

I won't shed a tear.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top