Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/5/2005 5:05:33 AM EDT
www.cnn.com/2005/US/08/05/lapd.toddler.death/

Toddler slain in police shootout had cocaine in system
Trace amounts blamed on second-hand smoke or milk

LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) -- A 19-month-old toddler killed in a gun battle between police and her father had trace amounts of cocaine in her urine, according to toxicological tests released Thursday.

The toddler, Suzie Marie Lopez, was killed last month by a bullet wound to her head by Los Angeles police after a failed rescue attempt by members of SWAT. Authorities said the toddler most likely ingested cocaine either by second hand smoke or possibly through breast milk.

"We found about 0.07 micrograms of cocaine per milliliter in her system and it had been there at least a couple of days," said Los Angeles coroner investigator David Smith.

More than 130 gunshots were exchanged between police and 34-year-old Jose Raul Pena, who barricaded himself in a small office room after taking the toddler hostage for 2 1/2 hours.

Crime scene photographs released last month showed cocaine residue scattered over Pena's office desk at his auto shop in the Watts section of Los Angeles. Autopsy results on Pena have not been completed, authorities said.

An attorney representing the toddler's family declined to comment on the report, saying he had not reviewed the autopsy report.

Last month's standoff began as a 911 disturbance call when Pena's estranged common law wife made a domestic terrorist report, accusing Pena of threatening her, his stepdaughter and the toddler, according to police.

When officers arrived on the scene, Pena began shooting at police, eventually unleashing 40 shots while police fired more than 100 rounds throughout the ordeal.

In earlier statements, Los Angeles Police Chief William Bratton blamed Pena solely for the death of the girl and found no evidence in the preliminary investigation that pointed to any criminal wrongdoing by police officers.

The autopsy report released earlier this week concluded the girl suffered two gunshot wounds by police, including one shot that blew out most of her brain.

WTF?
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:10:38 AM EDT
[#1]
I just saw that as well.  So fucking sad.  There is a lot of bad news out today.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:11:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like our "good father" (as the family will allege) was coked up a lot and that his child was getting exposed to second hand cocaine from residue and the like. Or possibly because she got into daddy's stash. (19 month olds can't tell the difference between sugar and cocaine....)

Yet another hideous attrocity brought to you by the victimless and harmless use of drugs.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:11:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Shes where she deserves to be, in a better place now.
And the father is where he deserves to be as well.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:12:09 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) -- A 19-month-old toddler killed in a gun battle between police and her father had trace amounts of cocaine in her urine, according to toxicological tests released Thursday.

i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2005/US/08/05/lapd.toddler.death/story.girl.ap.jpg

The toddler, Suzie Marie Lopez, was killed last month by a bullet wound to her head by Los Angeles police after a failed rescue attempt by members of SWAT. Authorities said the toddler most likely ingested cocaine either by second hand smoke or possibly through breast milk.

"We found about 0.07 micrograms of cocaine per milliliter in her system and it had been there at least a couple of days," said Los Angeles coroner investigator David Smith.

More than 130 gunshots were exchanged between police and 34-year-old Jose Raul Pena, who barricaded himself in a small office room after taking the toddler hostage for 2 1/2 hours.

Crime scene photographs released last month showed cocaine residue scattered over Pena's office desk at his auto shop in the Watts section of Los Angeles. Autopsy results on Pena have not been completed, authorities said.

An attorney representing the toddler's family declined to comment on the report, saying he had not reviewed the autopsy report.

Last month's standoff began as a 911 disturbance call when Pena's estranged common law wife made a domestic terrorist report, accusing Pena of threatening her, his stepdaughter and the toddler, according to police.

When officers arrived on the scene, Pena began shooting at police, eventually unleashing 40 shots while police fired more than 100 rounds throughout the ordeal.

In earlier statements, Los Angeles Police Chief William Bratton blamed Pena solely for the death of the girl and found no evidence in the preliminary investigation that pointed to any criminal wrongdoing by police officers.

The autopsy report released earlier this week concluded the girl suffered two gunshot wounds by police, including one shot that blew out most of her brain.

WTF?

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:32:25 AM EDT
[#5]
It really saddens me this little girl lost her life. Prayer sent for her and the officers involved.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:18:03 AM EDT
[#6]
WTF, there really should be a test before your allowed to breed.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:19:15 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

WTF?

ummm???? is this cartmens dad?
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:21:30 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

+1.  he got what he had coming to him.  To bad for the little girl,  but shes in gods hands now.  
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:27:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:29:28 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

WHISKEY TANGO FOXTROT  
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:30:51 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
WTF, there really should be a test before your allowed to breed.

Ya know what they say........ "you need a license to catch a fish, but any idiot can have a child."
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:32:41 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) -- A 19-month-old toddler, killed in a gun battle between police and her father, had trace amounts of cocaine in her urine, according to toxicological tests released Thursday.

WTF?

Fixed it.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:39:30 AM EDT
[#13]
cocaine used to be given to children to quiet them down back in the 1800's, oh the Good Ol' Days before that nasty War on Drugs thingy.  Now it's child abuse.  Times have changed

"At the time powerful drugs such as opium, morphine and cocaine were contained in numerous household remedies, and opium was employed by childminders in keeping children quiet and passive" - http://www.release.org.uk/html/~The_Law/Legal_History.php
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:44:42 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

WTF?

Heh, heh, heh..... The worm turns.... Heh, heh.    
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:46:29 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
cocaine used to be given to children to quiet them down back in the 1800's, oh the Good Ol' Days before that nasty War on Drugs thingy.  Now it's child abuse.  Times have changed

"At the time powerful drugs such as opium, morphine and cocaine were contained in numerous household remedies, and opium was employed by childminders in keeping children quiet and passive" - http://www.release.org.uk/html/~The_Law/Legal_History.php

w00t!@

"Shaddup, you brats, or I'll drug your asses out again!"

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:19:11 PM EDT
[#16]
I am still sick to my stomach with disgust about this. What a major POS. I hope she is eternally happy. I hope he is eternally hot.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:26:06 PM EDT
[#17]

This will make you sick

yea, your right.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:30:54 AM EDT
[#18]
bump for the weekend crew
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:39:23 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2005/US/08/05/lapd.toddler.death/story.girl.ap.jpg

WTF?

The police fired 100 of that.

can they not place there shots a little better.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:46:56 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Please enlighten the class why she DESERVES to be dead ?
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:50:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Yeah it makes me sick but why should anyone be surprised !

The man used his own daughter as a shield as he fired on Police Officers

I'm curious  Any mention on whether Pena was a Legal Citizen ?

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:57:40 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Not really,  Cocaine is a stimulant and would have made them bounce off the walls.  Opium and morphine were the common drugs used to sedate people.  Most likely the little girl got some cocaine into system by accidently eating some residue or even getting some on her mucous membranes.  There was only a trace in her urine so either she was given it a while ago or more likely it was an inadvertant contamination of the little girl.

We had a little girl that found a rock in the ER.  Some thugs dumped it because there is a large LEO presence in the ER.  The little found it and though it was candy and ate it.  So we had to pump the belly of this child.  It was not a fun experience.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:08:16 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Sounds like our "good father" (as the family will allege) was coked up a lot and that his child was getting exposed to second hand cocaine from residue and the like. Or possibly because she got into daddy's stash. (19 month olds can't tell the difference between sugar and cocaine....)

Yet another hideous attrocity brought to you by the victimless and harmless use of drugs.

Well, it is just like the victimless and harmless use of alcohol -- which causes about ten times as many deaths as all the illegal drugs combined, about half of all homicides, half of all domestic abuse, two-thirds of all sexual assaults on children, etc.

If that sort of thing happens, then you don't need a drug law to arrest them, do you? Same as with alcohol which is perfectly legal and causes far more of those problems than cocaine.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:13:07 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Opiates were used for that. Heroin was included in some baby colic remedies. Cocaine wasn't. Cocaine is a stimulant and would not calm them down. Cocaine was used primarily in "tonics" to give people energy -- as in Coca-Cola and Pepsi-Cola -- and it was included in things like toothache drops because it is a good topical anesthetic.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:15:28 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Not really,  Cocaine is a stimulant and would have made them bounce off the walls.  Opium and morphine were the common drugs used to sedate people.  Most likely the little girl got some cocaine into system by accidently eating some residue or even getting some on her mucous membranes.  There was only a trace in her urine so either she was given it a while ago or more likely it was an inadvertant contamination of the little girl.

I have discussed similar issues with a fair number of experts on drug testing. Their consensus, I think, would be that inadvertant contamination would not produce much on a typical drug test. Sad to say, but I would conclude that she ingested some of it somewhere along the line, probably within the 24 hours preceding the incident.

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:34:56 AM EDT
[#26]
THat little girl was cute.

I feel bad for the SWAT team, having to live with the thought that they accidently killed shot that little girl...

Edited to remove killed, because her father is the one that killed her by placing her in that situation.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:39:09 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

And... that makes it okay???
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:58:38 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have discussed similar issues with a fair number of experts on drug testing. Their consensus, I think, would be that inadvertant contamination would not produce much on a typical drug test. Sad to say, but I would conclude that she ingested some of it somewhere along the line, probably within the 24 hours preceding the incident.

I disagree, if he was smoking crack just before the altercation and she was inside with him, just inhaling some of the second hand smoke would have caused a positive test.  Especially in a little person like the little girl.  Also there only a TRACE in her urine, not a quatifiable amount.  So I doubt it was direct use of the drugs.  More secondhand involvment of some sort.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 9:11:23 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We had a little girl that found a rock in the ER.  Some thugs dumped it because there is a large LEO presence in the ER.  The little found it and though it was candy and ate it.  So we had to pump the belly of this child.  It was not a fun experience.

Cocaine HCl was at one time used to treat teething pain of childern, a common cause of toddler unrest.  It is still used for this today...after getting a foreign object in my eye (yes, I was wearing PPE), the ER doc used it to deaden my eye before removing the debris.  He warned me about the side effects, a bit sternly.  WTF, I didn't get a perscription for it???
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 9:20:20 AM EDT
[#30]
Gotta love those "peaceful" drug addicts. I find it sickening that some people are defending the fact that this child was exposed to the drug. I bet you wouldn't be saying that if it was tobacco, hypocrites.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 9:22:40 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Gotta love those "peaceful" drug addicts. I find it sickening that some people are defending the fact that this child was exposed to the drug. I bet you wouldn't be saying that if it was tobacco, hypocrites.

You must be on drugs. Who defended the fact that the child was exposed to drugs?

And, if you are asking my opinion, I wouldn't want the kid exposed to tobacco, either. Nicotine is quite a deadly poison and tobacco kills about 200 times as many people as cocaine.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 9:35:10 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
THat little girl was cute.

I feel bad for the SWAT team, having to live with the thought that they accidently unintentionally killed shot that little girl...

Edited to remove killed, because her father is the one that killed her by placing her in that situation.

Just being a nitpicky little bitch

The father was an utter shitbag, not worthy of life. It's unfortunate that the child had to be cought up in that, but I guess it's for the best and she's in a better place now.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 10:33:17 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 10:36:02 AM EDT
[#34]
Rapidly descending basket.....
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 10:45:02 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) -- A 19-month-old toddler, killed in a gun battle between police and her father, had trace amounts of cocaine in her urine, according to toxicological tests released Thursday.

WTF?

I fFixed it.

There you go.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:01:37 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Yeah, Im with you; I think they should make coccaine illegal or something.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 9:08:09 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And... that makes it okay???

in the 1800's it was
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:35:32 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cocaine HCl was at one time used to treat teething pain of childern, a common cause of toddler unrest.  It is still used for this today...after getting a foreign object in my eye (yes, I was wearing PPE), the ER doc used it to deaden my eye before removing the debris.  He warned me about the side effects, a bit sternly.  WTF, I didn't get a perscription for it???

Many drugs have different effects on different tissues of the body. You are looking at this much too simply.  Cocaine works as a local anesthetic but systemtically it is a stimulant.  Not many people still use for medical treatment with other medical agents readily available.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top