Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/5/2005 2:56:32 AM EDT
Just saw this on the atf website.

www.atf.gov/firearms/071105openletter.pdf

I wonder if we'll see cheap SA M193 again??
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 3:00:00 AM EDT
[#1]
They did mention Denel specifically. I'm pretty sure that's who made the SA M193.

Boy, I sure hope this turns out to be the case. I do miss the SA M193.

BTW, if there was some sort of law blocking the importation of this ammo enacted in 1994, then how did so much of it get here? Was it simply because it was 80's ammo made prior to this and was somehow grandfathered through?

When the SA started to dry up, I just assumed that it was the end of that batch of surplus. Oh well, learn something new each day I suppose. Hopefully, if this is what it sounds like, maybe Denel will make and sell new production M193 to us.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 3:07:31 AM EDT
[#2]
I didn't have such great results with South African surplus.  It was accurate and HOT, but I had extraction issues with it.  The rims would rip and fail to extract reliably.  LC, WCC, Winchester brass don't have this issue.  Wolf has the same problem.  It's chrome lined 5.56 chamber so I don't get it.  If it works great for you then more power to you, but I will pass on it.  It is good news since most people love it.  MJD
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 3:14:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Highwayman, I';m surprised to hear you had bad results with SA surplus.  It works great for me.  I've used it in AR15s, M16s, the Steyr Aug and a M249 SAW.

Is it possible you have a .223 chamber and not a 5.56 chamber causing overpressure?  What kind of rifle are you using?
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 3:22:30 AM EDT
[#4]
I never had an issue with the SA M193 in any rifles that had chrome chamber/bores.   My DPMS and Oly had issues but they're now long gone.   I've fired it in my Cav uppers as well as my Colt with no issues.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 3:26:31 AM EDT
[#5]
If the SA M193 is coming back, and the price is decent, I'm buying a sh*t load!!
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 3:33:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Well, it only took the feds 11 years to inform us that SA was importable again. . .
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 3:38:24 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Well, it only took the feds 11 years to inform us that SA was importable again. . .

Yeah and I thought my NFA transfers were taking too long  
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 3:39:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 4:11:55 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Highwayman, I';m surprised to hear you had bad results with SA surplus.  It works great for me.  I've used it in AR15s, M16s, the Steyr Aug and a M249 SAW.

Is it possible you have a .223 chamber and not a 5.56 chamber causing overpressure?  What kind of rifle are you using?

Definitely not a .223 chamber.  It's a 16" CMMG Mod4 barrel marked "C MP CMMG 5.56NATO 1/7" I may have gotten the order wrong but you get the idea.  Wolf and SA do the same thing, rim gets sheered off about once every 30 rounds or so.  The chamber is clean.  I was thinking about dropping an H2 buffer in there instead of my H buffer to see if that would cure the problem by slowing down the bolt speed.  Don't know what's causing it but it runs XM193, Q3131A (loves this stuff), and Winchester just fine.  MJD

ETA:  Sorry about the slight thread hijack.  
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:19:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Love that stuff, just bought 10 packs couple of weeks ago.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:27:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Man, I hope this is true......great ammo whenever I shot it....
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:29:58 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Where? Please tell.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:31:14 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where? Please tell.

On the EE
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:32:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Anyone in the industry out there know if it'll be in the pipeline any time soon?
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:32:42 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

me to, the SA stuff is also most accurate in all my AR's. I love the stuff .... still have a few thousand rounds, I need more!
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:37:21 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
If the SA M193 is coming back, and the price is decent, I'm buying a sh*t load!!

That just about sums it up for me.
+1
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:10:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Did anybody read the letter? It really makes you question how government manages to work at all...

Basically, it appears the ATF cut off import of South African ammo because there were sanctions against buuying defense-related items from South Africa. Of course, those sanction had ended in 1994; but State didn't get around to notifying ATF until March 2005.

As a result, after only five months of deliberation on whether it was now OK to ignore sanctions that had been dead for over a decade, the ATF made the bold decision to move forward and allow the import of South African ammo.

Bravo to the ATF! I am sure the urge to appoint a 30-member inter-governmental agency commission to examine the issue and report back no later than March 2014 was overwhelming. At least they did the right thing and in bureaucratic time, did it rather quickly even.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top