Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/5/2005 12:53:50 AM EDT
Can someone explain what enfilade and defilade fire means?
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:57:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Enfilade fire is when the long axis of the beaten zone coincides with the long axis of the target.  Defilade is a position taken preventing effective fires (i.e. "in defilade")

ETA: Here.  I still remembered "enfilade" almost word for word.

www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/army/fm/3-22-68/c05.htm
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:01:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Enfilade is exposed to direct fire.  Defilade is cover from direct fire.

You typically set mortar positions for defilade fire where you have a FO for direction and control.

Just because a rifle is a direct fire weapon doesn't mean it cannot be used from a defilade position.  Plunging fire from a MG is one example.

And yes, you can use a mortar from an enfilade position.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:03:46 AM EDT
[#3]
enfilade       defilade
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:32:53 AM EDT
[#4]
What about "withering fire"?  I have heard that term a few times too.

And while we're at it, what is a "free fire zone"?
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 3:29:02 AM EDT
[#5]

And while we're at it, what is a "free fire zone"?

Just guessing but think it means if you can identify it as a BG you can shoot it at will.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 3:38:04 AM EDT
[#6]
A free fire zone is a permissive fire support control measure in which support arms can be used without the approval of the higher headquarters.  FFZ are set up within a units Zone of Action/Responsibility and allows anyone to engage an IDed target without permission.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top