Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/4/2005 11:23:58 PM EDT
My buddy was telling me today he saw a program about Matt Groening and the Simpsons and that Matt is a gunnut.  I kind of had a feeling that he was with a couple of the great gun episodes I can think of off the top of my head. My buddy said that at the beginning (intro) of the show when Maggie gets scanned at a market, that instead of the price being shown, the screen says "NRA For  Life" (budy says that it's nearly impossible to make out what the screen says).  

So:

1. Is it true?

2. What's his screen name?

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 11:31:30 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
My buddy was telling me today he saw a program about Matt Groening and the Simpsons and that Matt is a gunnut.  I kind of had a feeling that he was with a couple of the great gun episodes I can think of off the top of my head. My buddy said that at the beginning (intro) of the show when Maggie gets scanned at a market, that instead of the price being shown, the screen says "NRA For  Life" (budy says that it's nearly impossible to make out what the screen says).  

So:

1. Is it true?

2. What's his screen name?

ARRRRRRRRRRRGH!!!  

i·ro·ny
n. pl. i·ro·nies

1. The use of words to express something different from and often opposite to their literal meaning.
        2. An expression or utterance marked by a deliberate contrast between apparent and intended meaning.
        3. A literary style employing such contrasts for humorous or rhetorical effect.

1. Incongruity between what might be expected and what actually occurs: “Hyde noted the irony of Ireland's copying the nation she most hated” (Richard Kain).
        2. An occurrence, result, or circumstance notable for such incongruity. See Usage Note at ironic.

No, it's not true.  The "NRA4EVR" on the checkout scanner is from a clip show, where Troy McClure says various absurd things, including saying that Matt Groening is a lunatic alcoholic right-wing gun nut.

None of those things are true, it's about as far from Matt Groening as you can get.  This is what is called "irony", but the joke has flown over so many peoples' heads, they think the checkout scanner really does says NRA4EVR in the opening sequence and that Groening is a gun nut.  It doesn't, and he isn't.  It was a one-time gag in one show.

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 11:32:04 PM EDT
[#2]
THe scanner doesn't really say NRA for life. In a clip epsiode, they asked the audience trivia questions before commercials and answered after the commerical. Well, one question asked was what the scanner shows when Maggie gets scanned. NRA4EVR was the answer. Then the announcer says "Just one of the many radical right-wing messages inserted by creator Matt Groening."

So it doesn't really say it. Except for as a joke on a clip show.

ETA:  Dammit!  Raven typed faster than me. And he typed more. I suck. + edited for NRA4EVR not NRA4LIFE. Dang he's good.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:01:44 AM EDT
[#3]
thanks raven, I knew what the definition of "irony" is, but didn't know if what my buddy told me was true or not.  I do not however, know what a clip show is...
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:17:38 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
thanks raven, I knew what the definition of "irony" is, but didn't know if what my buddy told me was true or not.  I do not however, know what a clip show is...

A clip show's when the writers get lazy and make a show that's mostly just recycled old clips from earlier shows, tied together with a flimsy plot.  The Simpsons unfortunately does this a lot.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:31:21 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A clip show's when the writers get lazy and make a show that's mostly just recycled old clips from earlier shows, tied together with a flimsy plot.  The Simpsons unfortunately does this a lot.

They don't do it alot, per se, but they do have 15 seasons (going on 16) and there are 4 or 5 clip shows.

I think there are more gun jokes in the show against gun owners than for.  For example, when Homer says "Aww, 3 day wait?  But I'm angry now!" and the "pistol whip" dream sequence where he shovels whipped topping into his mouth with the muzzle of a pistol.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:41:18 AM EDT
[#6]
I tried to see what it said on the register when maggie is scanned. Looked like it said "Baby" to me. But it was so fast, and I have never bothered trying to look at it since.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:51:14 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I tried to see what it said on the register when maggie is scanned. Looked like it said "Baby" to me. But it was so fast, and I have never bothered trying to look at it since.

Doesn't say anything.  That's one of the first things I checked when I got a DVR.  
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:37:34 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Doesn't say anything.  That's one of the first things I checked when I got a DVR.  

it says 847.63
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 3:37:42 AM EDT
[#9]
IIRC NRA4EVER was only displayed on one special episode, the rest of the time it says void or nosale or something.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 4:23:36 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

it says 847.63

DING DING DING DING DING!!!!  We have a winner!  If you have the DVD sets you can pause and advance it 1 frame at a time.  847.63 is what the cash register says.  MJD
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 4:27:44 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

it says 847.63

DING DING DING DING DING!!!!  We have a winner!  If you have the DVD sets you can pause and advance it 1 frame at a time.  847.63 is what the cash register says.  MJD

It's said a couple things over the years, it used to say tilt at one point too.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 4:33:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Groening said he donated money to Ted Kennedy's re-election campaign on the DVD commentary on season 3.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:06:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Actually, I have used the "Homer gets a gun" episode as a training aid when orientating new shooters before heading to the range. Homer is a boob and so we see many examples of poor judgment and poor handling regarding guns. In contrast,the NRA members (including Dr. Hibbert, old lady Agnus, Moe and Lenny) are portrayed as responsible citizens exercising their 2A rights.

BTW- The scene in which Lenny connects five guns (a luger, SxS, 1911, e.g.) to make one super gun; who here hasn't actually thought about doing that?
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:07:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Not true.  Matt Groening is a left wing liberal,  FORTUNATELY, he sold all his rights to the Simpsons when they did the Tracy Ulman show.  He is one of the creators, but he does not have the deciding vote.

Overall, the Simpsons stands about in the middle, maybe it leans a little to the right.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:34:41 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

BTW- The scene in which Lenny connects five guns (a luger, SxS, 1911, e.g.) to make one super gun; who here hasn't actually thought about doing that?

Moe is the guy who makes the "super gun".  Lenny is the one who explains that you need assault rifles to take out modern superanimals like the flying squirrel and electric eel.

As you can see, I am a hardcore The Simpsons fan.    
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:43:31 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

it says 847.63

Yup.  It is easily visible on the DVD.  The TiVo or whatever MPEG2 compression that you are using will compress frames, run interlaced frames together, and rough encode fast action.  Use the highest quality setting for best fast motion viewing.

The DVD is perfect though!
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:00:51 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They don't do it alot, per se, but they do have 15 seasons (going on 16) and there are 4 or 5 clip shows.

I think there are more gun jokes in the show against gun owners than for.  For example, when Homer says "Aww, 3 day wait?  But I'm angry now!" and the "pistol whip" dream sequence where he shovels whipped topping into his mouth with the muzzle of a pistol.

Yeah, but are those jokes really against gun owners or the idiots who propogate that kind of horseshit?

For instance, saying "Aww, 3 day wait? But I'm angry now!" makes fun of the notion that people get angry, go to the gunshop, load up, then kill someone instead of just getting a gun somewhere else and doing it.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:08:55 AM EDT
[#18]
(gun shop owner when homer is buying gun) "silencer, loudener, attatchment for shooting down police helicopters....."
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:20:38 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
(gun shop owner when homer is buying gun) "silencer, loudener, attatchment for shooting down police helicopters....."

"Ohhh I don't need that...yet"

Someone had to finish it
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 4:32:57 PM EDT
[#20]
There's also the epiosode that seems to have an ARFCOM tie in (he who forsaketh pie will acquire more weapons):

To avenge Lisa, Homer becomes "Pieman".  His pie attacks are so feared that Springfield sponsors a pie trade in for assault rifles!
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 4:47:42 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Not true.  Matt Groening is a left wing liberal,  FORTUNATELY, he sold all his rights to the Simpsons when they did the Tracy Ulman show.  He is one of the creators, but he does not have the deciding vote.

Overall, the Simpsons stands about in the middle, maybe it leans a little to the right.

Except for Lisa, who's a textbook liberal.  Sometimes the writers mock her politics, sometimes the writers use her politics to mock other people. Simpsons is a pretty balanced show.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:17:57 PM EDT
[#22]
I've frozen a dvd on the register and saw "No Sale".
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:15:20 PM EDT
[#23]
If you didn't have the right to bear arms, then the King of England could come into your living room and start pushing you around.  Would you like that!!  (poke in chest) Huh!!

...quote may be slightly off
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top