Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/4/2005 10:02:25 PM EDT
Here's a line-up of some shots of Jed from FreedomSight and me, samsong, or as I am known in the blogging world, the Libercontrarian, bustin' caps a couple of weeks ago.

We found a spot near Lyons up hwy 7 at the intersection of 72 to plink. Great place, much more open than crummy Left Hand Canyon, and much larger. It would be easy to mark off 200 yard shots there.

I'll be mounting my new 10 x 42 Bushnell 3200 Elite Tactical Mil-Dot scope to the JLD PTR 91 and sighting it in this weekend. I can't wait!

Jed with his SKS:

More SKS shooting:

with my Garand:

Another:

Me with the Garand:

One more, I'm making a goofy expression:
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 10:24:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like you had fun, and that's a nice looking Garand.

Mind telling the specs on it?
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 10:27:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Garand Buttpad

Blasphemer!
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 10:28:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the pics
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 10:39:52 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Garand Buttpad

Blasphemer!

Yea-yea.

It softens the blow a little - everybody that fired it remarked on how soft-kicking the rifle was.

It also screws up LOP a little for me, as I was used to the small GI buttplate.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 10:48:52 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Looks like you had fun, and that's a nice looking Garand.

Mind telling the specs on it?

Sure. Bought 1994 for $325 as a Blue Sky import from Korea. 989XXX SN, which puts it at Nov. '42, right in the thick of things. Had a half-worn 52 era GI BBL on it. Park was in OK shape, birch stock, no cartouches.

Shot like ass out of the box; used to double (even tripled once!), eject clip on the 7th round, etc. I replaced the clip latch and the trigger group and had the weapon free-floated and bedded; eventually came into some money and had SA replace the BBL with their Match version, reparked and hand refinished stock with tongue oil, then had Clint Fowler rework the gun with a rear lug, special bedding in both the stock and the op-rod channel, reattach the floating front handguard, rebent the op-rod to straight, and removed the gas cyl plug and replace it with a "tuned" version with a set screw that changes the volume of the cylinder so that the op-rod doesn't start moving until the bullet is out of the barrel. He did some kind of mega-magic to the already great trigger, too.

Rifle shoots wicked sub MOA groups with Lake City MG ammo (blacktip) all day long. This is the most accurate and expensive gun I've ever had, and it hasn't malfed on me one time in 5 years. It's almost dull to shoot, it's like a laser gun.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 10:49:26 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Thanks for the pics

You're welcome! I will occasionally bring along The Punisher when I plink. I'll be shooting the Poddle Gun, dinking tiny rounds off at cans and making them jump. Then, I'll break out the Punisher, and the cans simply dissapear, flying 30 feet into the air, spraying vegatables everywhere. It's frickin' UNBELIEVABLE!

Shooting .30 cal is like firing off a tank cannon in comparison to lil' ol' .223. Look at what's happening to the poor target in that big picture of Jed!
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 10:51:03 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Rifle shoots wicked sub MOA groups with Lake City MG ammo (blacktip) all day long. This is the most accurate and expensive gun I've ever had, and it hasn't malfed on me one time in 5 years. It's almost dull to shoot, it's like a laser gun.

Sweet looking rifle.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 10:53:47 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sweet looking rifle.

Danke! BTW, I just noticed that I didn't have my eye protection on.

Weak sauce.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:57:03 AM EDT
[#9]
. for day crew.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:00:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Great pics.

Can you post the plans you used for the shooting bench?
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:15:17 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Great pics.

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:17:05 AM EDT
[#12]
In the one pic I swear that guy is duck hunting
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:25:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Nice pics, love that Garand.

I have a CMP SA that I haven't done much with.  It's just sitting in the safe for now.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:48:02 AM EDT
[#14]
I am sick of Left Hand myself. I am In Broomfield and go up there with friends every sat. Have you had anyone give you grief out there? thanks great pics.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:08:48 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Great pics.

Laugh it up, Fuzzball.

It's actually Jed's bench. He's a scratch carpenter, and the damned thing is quite solid, comes apart in about a minute, and fits into the back of a BMW coupe.

And it was free.

Any more questions?
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:14:03 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I am sick of Left Hand myself. I am In Broomfield and go up there with friends every sat. Have you had anyone give you grief out there? thanks great pics.

Negative, no hassle at this new shooting site. It's 1000% cleaner than LHC, and we pick up after ourselves. We're headed there about 1200 tomorrow, if'n you wanna join up.

On a side note, I will stop by a junkyard today to see if I can purchase any steel plate.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:27:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Beautiful Garand.

Ben
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top