Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/4/2005 7:07:33 PM EDT
Like aroll top desk??

This is for a spice box on my countertop.

I want to do a roll top front door.

Any tips, suggestions, parts sources, etc??

Thanx for any help.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:14:31 PM EDT
[#1]
www.leevalley.com/home.aspx?c=

Try these guys, I believe they have the rolltop material (can't remember the correct name for the stuff).

Brent
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:16:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Wrong place.

www.vandykes.com

It's called TAMBOUR
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:17:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Dude, you playing fantasy football?
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:23:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Yep just did one, a roll top desk.  Route the grooves in each end for the track.  That was the hardest part to get them clean and identical.  Cut the slats 1/2 by 3/4 and rounded two edges with a 3/8 round over bit.  Glue the flat side of the slats to canvas with Elmers wood worker glue.  Weigh the whole mess down to dry.  Easier than I thought.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:25:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Ho wdo you route the grooves to be perfectly alligned? Do they have jigs for things like this?
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:37:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I made one in shop class in high school.  Don't remember what the jig was like for the groves though.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:40:03 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Ho wdo you route the grooves to be perfectly alligned? Do they have jigs for things like this?

Yes, they are called "board with radiused ends".  Set up your router with a plunge bit and collar and run it along the board clamped to your workpiece.

Here is one that I did, with more explanation.  http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=15151
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:47:55 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

You can make your own jig or template out of good quality plywood,  determine your design, for a desk example a 90 degree 18" radius for the front then 6" or so straight back on top. then about a 90 degree 4" radius and then straight down the back far enough that when rolled up there is enough weight to hold it up.  

Clamp it to one side piece and route your groove and then flip it over for the other side piece  Looking toward your desk  the template is clamped to the inside or left side of the right side of the desktop, and then when done you just slide it over to the other side and clamp it.   You would actually do the cutting and clamping before assembly.

It's probably more of a challenge inletting and lining up the hardware that holds the top to the bottom, than doing the roll top.

Let's just put it this way, your going to wow the guys when you show them what you did, just down't let them know how easy it really was...

You can even get fancy with s curves but that gets a little tougher because the groove needs to be able to take the twisting but not be too loose.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top