Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/4/2005 7:02:49 PM EDT
Bush: 'Guest worker' plan will benefit U.S. employers
The president, in a wide-ranging talk, gives a hint at how he'll pitch reform measures

By MICHAEL HEDGES
Houston Chronicle Washington Bureau
Aug. 3, 2005
www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/nation/3295541
GRAPEVINE - President Bush told a crowd of state legislators Wednesday that he will push immigration reform as beneficial for U.S. employers as well as foreigners looking for work.

He also made an impassioned pitch for Americans to stay behind the war in Iraq.

"Immigration reform is going to be an interesting subject when we get back to Washington" in September, said Bush, who plans to spend this month at his Crawford ranch.

He argued that his proposal for a "guest worker" program is good for employers and illegal immigrants who want a mutually beneficial relationship.

"If you are a willing employer (and) you have somebody looking for work and you can't find an American, there ought to be a legal way for you to employ that person," he said. "We'd rather have people coming in with a card that said, 'I'm a legal worker,' than trying to sneak across the border."

The president has proposed a system under which immigrants would be granted worker temporary worker status, after which they would have to leave the United States.
(so......they work legally then leave to go back to mexico, belize or el salvador to live happily ever after)
Critics have called it a thinly veiled amnesty program. Immigration reform plans have stalled in Congress so far this year, and Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist recently suggested a GOP push on the issue was more likely to happen next year.

Talking hours after the first reports that 14 U.S. Marines were killed in Iraq, Bush said, "The violence in recent days in Iraq is a grim reminder of the enemies we face. These terrorists and insurgents will use brutal tactics because they're trying to shake the will of the United States of America."

With polls showing that public support for continued military involvement in Iraq is eroding in the face of steady casualties, Bush relied on a familiar linkage of the war with the larger struggle against terrorism. He said Americans who died in Iraq and Afghanistan "lost their lives in a noble cause."

Speaking to 1,800 people at the American Legislative Exchange Council conference, Bush basked in recent legislative victories delivered by a GOP majority in Congress, including the Central American Free Trade Agreement and energy and highways legislation.

Bush said his priorities when Congress reconvenes after Labor Day will be immigration reform, making his tax cuts permanent, getting Supreme Court nominee John G. Roberts confirmed and resurrecting his Social Security reform initiative.

Bush drew loud cheers by saying he strongly believed in private retirement accounts for workers under 55. "Now is the time to permanently fix Social Security," he said.

The event was held at a mammoth convention center where visiting legislators were introduced to Texas pride, including a large replica of the Alamo, a 10-foot-long space shuttle model and other state symbols.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 2:20:50 AM EDT
[#1]

GRAPEVINE - President Bush told a crowd of state legislators Wednesday that he will push immigration reform as beneficial for U.S. employers as well as foreigners looking for work.

Yeah, but it sucks for the taxpayers
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 2:29:40 AM EDT
[#2]
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA!! LMAO!!!

I said on here MONTHS ago that the immigration issue was an ingenious strategy to counterbalance the negative effects of the Baby Boomers and retirees on Social Security. Let 30,000,000 illegals in. Give them amnesty, and WHAM! you instantly counterbalance the population disparity of the generation gap (brought about by the Baby Boomer's penchant for murdering 40,000,000 unborn children since Roe v. Wade). Now all those illegals are paying into the system, thus ensuring that the present policymakers will receive their benefits.

Of course, in typical ARFCOM fashion, I was shouted down and told that I was wrong, that was stupid, etc...
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 2:51:03 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA!! LMAO!!!

I said on here MONTHS ago that the immigration issue was an ingenious strategy to counterbalance the negative effects of the Baby Boomers and retirees on Social Security. Let 30,000,000 illegals in. Give them amnesty, and WHAM! you instantly counterbalance the population disparity of the generation gap (brought about by the Baby Boomer's penchant for murdering 40,000,000 unborn children since Roe v. Wade). Now all those illegals are paying into the system, thus ensuring that the present policymakers will receive their benefits.

Of course, in typical ARFCOM fashion, I was shouted down and told that I was wrong, that was stupid, etc...

Well, it is a pyramid scheme, but those 30mil(20+already here)will also have their families covered.............
I think the main reason he wants them here is for the "consumerism" it helps the economy when
they buy toothpaste, cars, rent apartments, ect...........
the FACT that they are committing MORE than their fare share of rapes, robberies, kidnappings
and fleeing to mexico if they are identified doesn't seem to inconvenience him at all
he also doesn't seem worried about the overcrowding of our schools, hospitals or jails\prisons
Oh well, so we have a "few" Americans that are killed, disabled, raped or kidnapped.......it benefits society as a whole
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top