Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/15/2001 9:49:47 PM EDT
Help !

My wife bought me a shotgun for my birthday a few days ago (o/u SKB 585 gold) and I felt kinda guilty so I bought her a shotgun too.

(previously -- our only shotguns were for defense and were a few Remington 870's and a few Marine 870's -  I have no real shotgun experience)

I bought her a Browning "Gold Ladies Sporting Clays" semi-auto.  

[url]www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/gold/gold_lady_sporting_clays.htm[/url]

Here's my question:

After we got it I ran a patch w/ militec-1 down the barrel a few times and she went to the range and shot about 10 shells.

When it was back home, I stripped it down and cleaned each part with Ballistol (great stuff by the way!).   The bore and chamber were pretty filthy but cleaned up nicely.  BUT..  When I tried to wipe down the outside of the blued barrel, the cloth came off with an orange color.  
OVER and OVER again !   I thought that it might be some kind of rust preventative grease or coating ...??  After wiping down about with Militec-1 about 20 times, the orange color still comes off !  (NOT from the militec coloring.  it even happens with the clear Ballistol)

Is it from the blueing process? (i know that blueing is done with an oxidation process of some sort)  

Is it possible to rub the finish down too much?

Will I remove the blueing by over cleaning?

(the damn gun cost me more than an AR15 and I don't want to ruin it...)

Thanks!!
Link Posted: 7/15/2001 9:57:12 PM EDT
[#1]
It's rust preventive.  I've had my Winchester 1300 for 3 years and I still occasionally wipe off orange crap when doing a detailed cleaning.  

Clean it like usual, oil it, reassemble it and leave it alone.  The rust preventive will disappear after a while.
Link Posted: 7/15/2001 10:11:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Damn..  I could kiss you !!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks!
RBAD

Oops..  forgot to ask again:  Can I damage the blued finish by oiling and cleaning too much?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/15/2001 10:26:50 PM EDT
[#3]
When using Ballistol,
never rub on blackened/blued parts,
but simply wipe it on, let it creep, and wipe it off
with a lint free cloth.

Link Posted: 7/15/2001 10:38:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I clean the externals by wiping with an oily rag, but when the orange rust stuff was still on the weapon I used Hoppes and a toothbrush.  A little light scrubbing, wipe down, and oily rag, then into the gun safe.

That doen't hurt the blueing at all.  

SPECIAL NOTE:  If the weapon has interchangeable chokes, ALWAYS use grease to lube the threads.  I made the mistake of using oil and the choke tube got stuck tight after a summer in the safe.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top