Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/4/2005 4:43:50 PM EDT
I was walking back to my shop... was carryin my lower reciever...

*plop* I feel something hit my hand.  "Ah it was probably just a grasshoper that hit my hand..."

I have a sinking feeling because the selector switch just moves freely now...

What did I lose?
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:46:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Spring thingy inside handguard.

I'd give you the exact name but I am drunk and my AR-fu is weak right now.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:47:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Detent spring and detent. ETA: Cheap, and easy to replace.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:47:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Was the lower assembled?
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:47:59 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd say you lost the selector detent.

I'm trying to remember if it's held on by the grip or the stock.  Someone who's had one apart lately will be by soon to advise.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:48:14 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Spring thingy inside handguard.

Now I remember:

Selector Spring

Why was that so hard?

It's held in by the grip.

And no, you didn't loose the detent spring and deten.....wtf is that?

I'm sure he ment selector spring and detent. That would be my guess too.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:49:06 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Spring thingy inside handguard pistol grip.

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:49:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Is the detent still in there? Maybe (if you're lucky) just the spring departed.
M
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:49:38 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I'm trying to remember if it's held on by the grip or the stock.  Someone who's had one apart lately will be by soon to advise.

The stock.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:50:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Was the pistol grip off? If so, your selector detent just took a hike.
The buttstock, or the receiver plate, in case of a collapsible stock, retains the rear takedown pin detent and spring.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:50:45 PM EDT
[#10]
I had removed the PG and Stock the night before and I wanted to match up the little indent on the lower back of the reciever with the stock blank I'm working on...

So it was the selector spring and/or detent?
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:51:22 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The stock.

No grip.

Excuse the arguementativeness, I'm still drunk.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:53:21 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I had removed the PG and Stock the night before and I wanted to match up the little indent on the lower back of the reciever with the stock blank I'm working on...

There should be a spring that fits in a hole on the left side of the pistol grip. If it's there, there should be a small gold colored detent that slides into the lower reciever and puts a little pressure on the safety selector.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:54:01 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Well, since you removed the pistol grip AND buttstock, you could be out both the rear takedown pin detent AND the selector detent.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:55:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Yep. My bad. The stock holds the take down pin detent.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:56:57 PM EDT
[#15]
the front sight?

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:02:22 PM EDT
[#16]
I've got the spring and gold detent that came out when I removed the stock.

I've got the spring that came out when I removed the PG but no detent...

I think you'er right Da_bunny...

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:17:07 PM EDT
[#17]
for a field tip.....
I lost the selector spring once. Until I was able to get another, I used a spring from under the flint of a disposable lighter.

It kept me shooting...
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:20:33 PM EDT
[#18]
I just realized...

This is the first pic of my gun I've shown on AR15.com.

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:21:19 PM EDT
[#19]
After the above exchange, I don't feel so bad about not remembering the stock/grip thing.

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:30:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Which reminds me, I really should buy a spare parts kit......
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:31:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:33:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:39:02 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
The spring sits in the top of the pistol grip with a little metal doodad above it, that's what pushes against the safety.

The spring held in by the buttplate holds in the rear takedown pin.

When you order the new ones, buy a bunch of those and the spring and metal doohicky that hold in the rear takedown pin. Good to have spares

Good info.  Yeah what I'm missing is the metal doohicky "safety detent"  that goes on top of the srping in the PG.

Thank God for Arfcom.

Oh, who sells JUST those individual tiny bits btw?
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:42:38 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
for a field tip.....
I lost the selector spring once. Until I was able to get another, I used a spring from under the flint of a disposable lighter.

It kept me shooting...

ballpoint pen spring here...
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:47:45 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Give Adco a call. They shipped me out replacements in two days. They saved my weekend of a shooting roadtrip my buddy and I had planned for a while.

They made my weekend!

I'll not divulge what pieces were lost and how I lost them.

HS1
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:52:20 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The spring sits in the top of the pistol grip with a little metal doodad above it, that's what pushes against the safety.

The spring held in by the buttplate holds in the rear takedown pin.

When you order the new ones, buy a bunch of those and the spring and metal doohicky that hold in the rear takedown pin. Good to have spares

Good info.  Yeah what I'm missing is the metal doohicky "safety detent"  that goes on top of the srping in the PG.

Thank God for Arfcom.

It's not worth the cost of postage  to order just the "tiny bits" by themselves.

Brownells sells each and every pin and spring individually if that's what you want.

As a previous poster suggested I'd just go with the whole pin, detent  and spring kits.

It's short change and somewhere down the line you'll probably need a spring, pin or detent here or there.

I bought two (one for my range box and one  to keep at home).

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:49:38 PM EDT
[#27]
So I'm sitting here looking at my rifle now, and well:

Why couldn't a guy, at least with respect to the rear takedown pin detent, simply cut the spring a wee bit shorter, cut the head off of a fine thead bolt the size if the hole, cut a slot in it for a screwdrive, and "screw in" a plug after the spring so that the detent and spring would stay there regardless of whether the stock was on or not?

Not sure it'd be "as" doable with the selector detent, but am I nuts here?  Surely someone else has thought of this before.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top