Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/4/2005 4:07:41 PM EDT
I want to buy my girlfriend a new PC but know absolutely nothing about windows machines.

I have always used Macs. She has been using (suffering) my old Mac for the last year but it has finally died and a new machine is in her future. I'd like to buy it this weekend while she's at work and surprise her.

So here's my question:

She really only uses the computer to surf the web. Not much more.

What should I be looking for in a new PC?

What processor for surfing the web? Which windows operating system?
Any special features I should be looking for?

Can I get away with buying one of the basic complete systems that sell for around $500-$600? (computer, screen, keyboard and free printer)

Any reason not to buy from Best Buy? (I have some Amex gift cards that they accept)

Your suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:41:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Surfing the web = basic machine. YES.

Hope this helps.

ByteTheBulllet  (-:
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:44:13 PM EDT
[#2]
$600 should get what you need. I don't know if Best Buy is the best place but buy it there if it is handy.

You want Windows XP; XP Home Edition is fine.

Get a decent anti-virus\firewall program.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:01:21 PM EDT
[#3]
a cheap e4me or hp willl get the job done and then some.  the processor type will not speed up the internet by any means.  only switching to high speed dsl or cable will speed up the internet.  if you don't   plan on upgrading the system much in the future a e4me or hp will do fine.  make sure you buy with with a year warranty. because once that warrarnty is up.. if a major hardware problem occurs you will end up replacing the entire machine. they are not made to be fixed, but to be replaced
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:05:51 PM EDT
[#4]
If you don't mind waiting for the computer you can search these sites for a good deal:

www.bensbargains.net/
www.ableshopper.com/
www.slickdeals.net/
www.techbargains.com/
www.xpbargains.com/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top