Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/4/2005 2:09:07 PM EDT
How do ship a rifle over state lines?

Do I just pack it up and ship it fedex to the buyers FFL?

Or does my FFL have to get involved also?
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 2:15:00 PM EDT
[#1]
legally, your FFL doesn't have to get involved, but the buyer's FFL may require it as policy (it's a trend).
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 2:28:38 PM EDT
[#2]
So should I just include a signed copy of my FFL with the rifle?
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 3:12:51 PM EDT
[#3]
A few months ago I sent an extremely rare Mosin-Nagant to a collector in another state.  He sent me a copy of his C&R license. I took the rifle down UPS. I didn't have the carton sealed so I could show them that it wasn't loaded.  The girl was very helpful.  Asked a few questions about the rifle.  She taped up the carton and off the rifle went.  No problems and nobody ran screaming from the store and no SWAT teams showed up. Same thing with a pistol I shipped back to the manufacturer for repair. This time I used Fed-Ex.  Both firearms made it to there on time and in one piece.  And nobody gave me a hard time about what  I was shipping.  But then again, I live in a free state.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 3:18:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 3:30:21 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
You can use USPS, FEDEX, or UPS.  You don't have to ship it FROM an FFL but it MUST be received by one if it's crossing State lines.

Unless you are shipping it to yourself. For example, if you are going hunting, you can ship it to an address at the location you will be hunting. Address it to yourself and open it yourself when you get there.  No FFL involved at either end. Wierd, huh?

ATF FAQ

B10) May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity? [Back]

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the state where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 3:35:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Box the rifle up in something that doesn't have firearm manufacturer's name stamps on it (don't wanna tempt would be theives).  Put an address on it.  Take it to the post office and send it insured priority mail, delivery confirmation.  They won't (usually) ask you what it is.  If they do, say it's machine parts.  You have no legal obligation to tell them you're shipping a rifle and every legal right to do it.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 3:43:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:07:15 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
You can use USPS, FEDEX, or UPS.  You don't have to ship it FROM an FFL but it MUST be received by one if it's crossing State lines.

Unless you are shipping it to yourself. For example, if you are going hunting, you can ship it to an address at the location you will be hunting. Address it to yourself and open it yourself when you get there.  No FFL involved at either end. Wierd, huh?

ATF FAQ

B10) May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity? [Back]

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the state where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

I don't believe that's what he was asking about.  

Yep, he specifically mentioned the word "buyer".
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:19:53 PM EDT
[#9]
You have to ship to the buyer's FFL.  

Make sure you get a signed in ink copy of the FFL license before you ship.  

Online verification is NOT a substitute for the signed ink copy.  

Ship a long-gun via USPS direclty to the FFL.  

Insure it for full-value.  

You may (non-FFL) ship directly to the buyer's FFL.  

Some receiving FFLs choose not to receive from non-FFLs and you will have to use your FFL in that case.  
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:36:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the replys!

I was just asking because last time I recieved a firearm, my FFL got a little mad because the seller didnt include a copy of his FFL.  Which sounded strange to me...but owell its his gunshop.  
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:50:01 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
You have to ship to the buyer's FFL.  

Make sure you get a signed in ink copy of the FFL license before you ship.  

Online verification is NOT a substitute for the signed ink copy.  

Ship a long-gun via USPS direclty to the FFL.  

Insure it for full-value.  

You may (non-FFL) ship directly to the buyer's FFL.  

Some receiving FFLs choose not to receive from non-FFLs and you will have to use your FFL in that case.  

An unlicensed individual is not required to have a certified copy of the receiving FFL's license and many, if not most, dealers will not send one to an unlicensed individual.  The BATF eZCheck web site is perfecly acceptable for use by an unlicensed person in lieu of having a copy of the FFL.  

The use of a certified copy of an FFL is only required in transfers between licensees.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top