Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/4/2005 11:31:14 AM EDT
Clampdown on sale of plastic guns
tvnz.co.nz
Aug 4, 2005

Around 600 plastic air pistols and BB guns have been destroyed by police in Christchurch.

Police say they had been imported by a local business, which did not have a licence to sell firearms, and were being sold by dairies in the eastern suburbs.

They say the guns were retailing for under $13 and often being sold to children.

Police say the guns are not toys, and can be very dangerous.

They are asking parents to check their children's toys and are calling on any retailers which still have the guns in stock to hand them over to the police for disposal.

tvnz.co.nz/view/page/411319/601897
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 11:42:30 AM EDT
[#1]
The street is safer without Airsoft.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 11:50:49 AM EDT
[#2]
hey man those thngs are dangerous, three guys at a gas station up the street were taken out by airsoft ninjas, really
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 11:51:57 AM EDT
[#3]
What is it with those crazy down-under folks and their evil, roving, gun-eating bandsaws?
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 11:53:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Dairies?

Does that mean ice cream shops?

Childrens' ice cream?
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 11:55:27 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Dairies?

Childrens' ice cream?

I would guess that they sell milk there
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 11:55:57 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Dairies?

Childrens' ice cream?

They coould have smuggled some in..... dare I say it..... Ice cream trucks!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 12:03:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Those wacky Brits.

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 12:26:55 PM EDT
[#8]
If they're not toys, then what are they?
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 12:39:10 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Those wacky Brits.

tenninetyseven.homestead.com/files/airsoft.gif

Britain. Part of Europe. Not where this story happened.

New Zealand. Nowhere near Europe. Where this story happened.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 12:41:59 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Obviously they're very dangerous. The police said so, so it must be true.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 12:47:09 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They are BB guns, in the same way that a Crossman is a BB gun.  The only differances are that the bbs are larger, travel at about half the velocity of your average BB gun (still plenty fast enough to knock out teeth and blind a person) and are normally made of plastic or some sort of biodegradable material (cornstarch & barium are popular).
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 1:06:05 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They are BB guns, in the same way that a Crossman is a BB gun.  The only differances are that the bbs are larger, travel at about half the velocity of your average BB gun (still plenty fast enough to knock out teeth and blind a person) and are normally made of plastic or some sort of biodegradable material (cornstarch & barium are popular).

[newsreporter] You mean BARIUM?  That stuff they give you to make your *ss-pipe show up on the gamma-ray machine?    OMFG!!!! RADIOACTIVE BULLETS!!!!" [/newsreporter]

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 1:12:50 PM EDT
[#13]
They are trying to wipe out all idea of firearms.  Let's see, squirt guns, cap guns, t-shirts with  images of guns, action figures with guns;the possibilities are unlimited.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 1:13:34 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

[newsreporter] You mean BARIUM?  That stuff they give you to make your *ss-pipe show up on the gamma-ray machine?    OMFG!!!! RADIOACTIVE BULLETS!!!!" [/newsreporter]

Rrrrr.  I ment Barium Sulphate...which is very differant.  Each maker of biodegradable 6mm & 8mm bbs has their own recipe.

1. BIOTECH consists of starch and potassium bicarbonate.

2. EXCEL and EXCEL BIO consists of styrene and Barium Sulphate

3. Cyber Gun consists of a [akrylnitril-styrene-sampolymer] and Barium Sulphate

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 1:18:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Somebody forgot to the tell them that there's no FIRE in airsoft.  
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 1:26:30 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Those wacky Brits Kiwis.

Look what I get for jumping to conclusions. Assumptions got me, you are right.  Fixed it.

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 1:29:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 1:39:07 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
t-shirts with  images of guns, action figures with guns;the possibilities are unlimited.

I've experienced the pointy end of the stick with regards to both. I imported a set of collectable 12 inch "Platoon" (from the movie Platoon funny enough) figures, and Customs stopped the package at their end claiming that the figures had "realistic 1/6 scale assault rifles" OMG THE CHILDREN!

Secondly, I was wearing my "it is better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it" T-shirt featuring pictures of various handguns and was told by a University lecturer that I was a Nazi because I advocated the ownership of handguns. I was actually arguing with him about something else, but my opinion on the matter was rendered void because I was wearing a gun T-shirt...sigh

Same lecturer almost took a hissy fit when I wore my "Punisher" T-shirt to a tutorial. When he saw it he immediately concluded that I was an advocate (and possibly practicioner of) vigilante justice...

Blair
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 2:13:39 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Rrrrr.  I ment Barium Sulphate...which is very differant.  Each maker of biodegradable 6mm & 8mm bbs has their own recipe.

Actually, it is the same stuff.  Barium Sulphate is the same as Barium Sulfate (BaSO4), which is a radiopaque substance often ingested during fluoroscopic examinations with x-rays (not gamma rays) to make the insides of the stomach and small bowel visible on x-ray images.  We give it to patients all the time for exams (I'm a radiologic technologist).

barium sulphate
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 2:29:15 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, it is the same stuff.  Barium Sulphate is the same as Barium Sulfate (BaSO4), which is a radiopaque substance often ingested during fluoroscopic examinations with x-rays (not gamma rays) to make the insides of the stomach and small bowel visible on x-ray images.  We give it to patients all the time for exams (I'm a radiologic technologist).

barium sulphate

Hmm. So airsoft pellts may in fact show up well on an x-ray. Interesting bit of information, though I can't yet think of a practical application. And I've never touched an airsoft pellet or gun.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 2:35:25 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

barium sulphate

Huh.  You learn something new every day if you spout off stuff you don't know anything about.

Thanks for pointing it out loonybin.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 2:47:02 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

barium sulphate

I thought they only gave those to people who were deathly ill.  

Isn't that why they call them "Bury 'em" enemas?
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 3:05:40 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Those wacky Brits.

but still part of the british commonwealth, of which most if not all members are anti gun
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 10:20:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Err doesnt NZ have better gun laws than the US?

From what I heard, NZers just need an easy to obtain license to get full autos.  None of this uber expensive class 3 stuff.  
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 10:25:08 PM EDT
[#25]
tag
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 11:19:21 PM EDT
[#26]
but still part of the british commonwealth, of which most if not all members are anti gun

Wow, some really detailed research being done here.

Look what I get for jumping to conclusions. Assumptions got me, you are right. Fixed it

They conceal information like that on these cunning things called Maps.  Try checking one.

Actually New Zealands Firearms laws are very reasonable…

They can own everything from handguns to assault rifles without much hassle

Keep it to yourself mate.  Wouldnt want to shatter the image of a little commonwealth country of british subjects stealing plastic guns off the kids, would we?

I think the issue is one of toy safety, not gun control.  As Andy said, our firearms laws are far superior and recognise individual rights far more than Australia and the UK.

Take a breath fellas.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top