Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/4/2005 8:07:16 AM EDT
We put these low functioning morons on a pedestal in High School, let them get a free diploma, they get recruited and get a free ride by a college they could never gain admission to without the sports, get coddled academically and socially (and legally, apparently) and then move on to make a truly obscene salary playing pro sports. They are treated as heroes and act like they are gods but most are simple thugs with athleticism.

This example makes me sick.

You could take out the "UT" and put any major college in the country and the results would be the same.

Pathetic.

The colleges used to make their atheletes raise themselves to a higher standard but now it is simple thugs on the campus as opposed to thugs in the hood. I started seeing it 10 years ago when I was at Auburn and it just keeps getting worse.

I guess you can take the thug out of the hood but ya can't take the hood out of the thug...

Video Link.

By CHRIS LOW
Staff Writer
KNOXVILLE — His face still numb from a punch he never saw coming, Edward Goodrich wanted to trust in the system.

The Lewisburg native wanted to believe that Tennessee defensive tackle Tony McDaniel would be punished appropriately for caving in the right side of Goodrich’s face on Jan. 12 during a pickup basketball game on campus.

When Goodrich learned Thursday that McDaniel would be back on the field this fall with a two-game suspension, he felt betrayed.

“He got off easy,” said Goodrich, who goes by Deshaun. “I at least thought he would be suspended for the whole fall semester. Anybody other than a football player who did what he did to me would have been, maybe even longer. It’s hard to understand.”

Goodrich’s mother, Carolyn, said she understands unequivocally and that the message is loud and clear.

It’s almost like they’re breeding these guys,” she said, adding that nobody from UT’s football program had called to apologize. “They can do whatever they want to do and not be seriously disciplined because they play football.

“Despite all he went through, Deshaun graduated in May. But frankly, I’m sorry he ever went to the University of Tennessee. I’ve lost respect for the school, and in my opinion, the whole thing wasn’t handled like it should have been handled.”

McDaniel, charged with felony aggravated assault, pleaded guilty to a reduced charge of misdemeanor assault Thursday in Knox County Criminal Court.

Goodrich, 26, said he could see how the criminal charge was reduced, especially since McDaniel had no prior record.

But what was most disturbing to the entire Goodrich family was seeing McDaniel suspended retroactively by UT for the summer session of school.

“How do you suspend somebody retroactively?” Carolyn said. “That’s a joke.”

As part of McDaniel’s plea, he will have to make restitution to Goodrich, who’s still compiling his medical bills. McDaniel was sentenced to 11 months and 29 days in jail, but was placed on immediate probation and isn’t expected to serve any jail time.

Goodrich, who worked his way through school and used student loans, plans to file a civil suit against the 6-foot-7, 300-pound McDaniel, who told the judge he wanted to apologize to Goodrich had he been in court Thursday.

However, Goodrich said he was never officially notified of the court date change.

It was originally scheduled for Aug. 16, but moved up to Thursday after McDaniel’s attorney, Don Bosch, and the Knox County attorney general reached a resolution in the case.

Goodrich called several times to see if he needed to be in court last week, but said he never got an answer. He said nobody ever discussed a deal with him and that he learned of McDaniel’s fate through the media.

“I didn’t want to see his career ruined or see him kicked off the team for good,” Goodrich said. “But I missed a lot of class and suffered that whole semester. I felt like he should serve the same punishment.”

The 6-4, 200-pound Goodrich isn’t sure the right side of his face will ever be the same.

The punch fractured four bones, and he had to have a metal plate permanently inserted to repair his cheekbone. Two eye socket bones and a sinus cavity were also fractured.

According to Goodrich, doctors told him he could have been killed had the punch landed a few inches higher because it was so close to his temple.

The incident was caught on a video surveillance tape at UT’s recreation center, and Goodrich has seen the tape. He said several other football players were also playing in the game and that some of them were milling around laughing following the punch and while he lay unconscious on the court.

“I didn’t know what had happened until I woke up,” Goodrich said. “I thought I’d caught an elbow. I wasn’t even guarding (McDaniel). I came over to help out when he drove, and there was a little bit of contact. The next thing I know, I’m out.”

Goodrich said McDaniel was growing increasingly agitated during the game over being fouled and proclaimed that he was going to “lay out” the next person who fouled him. Goodrich said it was primarily other football players fouling him.

“I’m not sure that I touched him the whole game,” Goodrich said. “Even on the play where he punched me, there were a bunch of guys around him.”

Goodrich said the tape showed McDaniel falling to the floor and then getting up in one motion and striking Goodrich on the right side of his face.

“(McDaniel) is lucky he wasn’t charged with something worse,” Carolyn said. “He told everyone he was going to lay out the next person who touched him. To me, that’s premeditated. It wasn’t a spur-of-the-moment thing. He knew what he wanted to do. He just didn’t know who he was going to do it to.

“I’m just thankful there was a video of it. If not, I truly feel he wouldn’t have got what he did and they would have swept it completely under the rug and sent him right back out to the football field.”

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 8:14:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Damn, that sounds pretty serious to me.

Claims he's going to beat someone.

Beats someone, collapses his face, and nearly kills him.

gets probation and 2 game suspension.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 8:18:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Can't demand anything of the gang members in jerseys cause they could go to another school you know?

I'm sure he worked hard to get through college too.  
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 8:19:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Get a good look, he's a future role model for kids.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 8:21:49 AM EDT
[#4]
I hope the civil suit turns out better for this guy.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 8:24:18 AM EDT
[#5]
The judge and DA are probably season ticket holders.

Add to this the universities crying about funding, yet finding the cash for a new stadium.  (Or here a new training center with an LCD TV in ever locker)
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 8:25:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
We put these low functioning morons on a pedestal in High School, let them get a free diploma, they get recruited and get a free ride by a college they could never gain admission to without the sports, get coddled academically and socially (and legally, apparently) and then move on to make a truly obscene salary playing pro sports. They are treated as heroes and act like they are gods but most are simple thugs with athleticism.

This example makes me sick.

You could take out the "UT" and put any major college in the country and the results would be the same.

Pathetic.

The colleges used to make their atheletes raise themselves to a higher standard but now it is simple thugs on the campus as opposed to thugs in the hood. I started seeing it 10 years ago when I was at Auburn and it just keeps getting worse.

I guess you can take the thug out of the hood but ya can't take the hood out of the thug...

Right on. They start grooming them from jr. high or even lower grades, right through college, where they train some of these guys to believe they are above the law.

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 10:22:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Hm...I think a little .223 lovin' to the guy's knee would just about even the score.  55gr of Blitz King oughta do it.  

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 10:27:39 AM EDT
[#8]
As long as the "athletic boosters" and advertisers keep those $$$$ flowing in, "student-athletes" will get a bye from the legal system.

Compare the salaries of AD's to top professors to get an idea of just how committed any one school is to "education"

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 10:32:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Go Team!

It's a sad day when Americans want to keep their kids AWAY from sports and professional athletes.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 10:38:57 AM EDT
[#10]
and thats why some people get shot.....justice at its finest....what a joke.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 10:40:45 AM EDT
[#11]
I think organized sports in public schools should be banned.

Have some games in PE class and then get back to your classwork.  They're in school to learn how to read and write, not how to play basketball.  Of course, the money says otherwise, so we just sit around and wonder why education in America sucks.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 10:51:44 AM EDT
[#12]
This will never change as long as people pay to watch sports.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 11:32:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Time to get a new f'in lawyer!

A deal was reached, and the victim was never even consulted?  That's pure and utter BS!

In a strange twist, maybe it's time for the victim to appeal the sentence.  Can that even be done?

With as much damage as was done to the victims face, they pleaded him down to misdemeanor assault?  Just goes to show that college degrees don't breed common sense.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 11:39:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Sucks dont it well you people had better get used to it because in america especially within the entertainment field money talks and bullshit walks( bullshit being everyone who kisses the asses of so called heroes who do nothing more wonderfull than throwing a piece of leather around)  The real heroes in this country get low pay and sometimes spit upon by hippie asses.  The only sports star that could be called a hero died as a real hero an Army Ranger.  
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 11:42:25 AM EDT
[#15]
So, who want's to try to take a full power punch from this Tony McDaniel fellow?

ETA:  I agree it's bullshit and McDaniel should've got a lot worse.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 11:50:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Nothing a dark rainy night and a ballbat to the face wont make right.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 11:54:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Yeah, the system screwed up big time here, if the victim was anybody with even the slightest amount of pride, they need to understand there's going to be some reciprocation. And not of the legal sort. It's just breeding more violence.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 11:56:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Holy shit has anyone watched the video? Nobody does anything. The poor kids laying there with his face bashed in for over a minute and they just stroll around him like nothing happened. That pisses me off so like you wouldnt believe.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 12:05:28 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Holy shit has anyone watched the video? Nobody does anything. The poor kids laying there with his face bashed in for over a minute and they just stroll around him like nothing happened. That pisses me off so like you wouldnt believe.

They were other guys on his team.  What were they suppost to do?  Help the guy that got seriously injured for no reason?
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 12:51:39 PM EDT
[#20]
gotta be carefull these days..... appliances can jump off a roof at any time and fall on an unsuspecting thug scholar...
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:32:00 PM EDT
[#21]
The kneecapping is the best idea I've heard yet...

See if his mind and character can earn him what his body has...
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:39:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Wonder if all those folks clad in Orange chanting go Vols this fall mind supporting a school which excuses assault & battery (in the quest of a championship)?

http://utsports.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/mcdaniel_tony00.html

$5 says Oakland takes him when he turns pro.

(Tennessee fans should note that most of the other NCAA schools do the same damn thing)

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:42:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Homey don't play.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:51:41 PM EDT
[#24]
You know.... Police don't catch random robbery/assualt suspects too often.

Dark alley, crowbar, and kneecaps.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:57:03 PM EDT
[#25]
And where, my liege, do these "stars" go after "UT" or whatever school?

to the big leagues, where you see them beating the living crap out of someone on the court.  
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:02:51 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Wonder if all those folks clad in Orange chanting go Vols this fall mind supporting a school which excuses assault & battery (in the quest of a championship)?

http://utsports.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/mcdaniel_tony00.html

$5 says Oakland takes him when he turns pro.

(Tennessee fans should note that most of the other NCAA schools do the same damn thing)

Heh.  Did you see this ass's major: "Arts and Sciences".  Wonder how much "Arts and Sciences" he's learning when he's not beating the sh$t out of people?
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:03:56 PM EDT
[#27]
BTDT and got the lousy T-shirt.

I know precisely what this guy is going through.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:07:48 PM EDT
[#28]
this is just another reason I don't watch sports anymore.  If you would reverse the situation this would have pissed off the whole country had he not been able to play football cause someone puched him and Edward would be in jail.  This pisses me off as much as when those basketball players went into the crowd I wish there would have been some big ass marine that woulda fucked those basketball players up or even just an ordinary guy.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:15:27 PM EDT
[#29]
At least he hasn't killed anyone...yet.

But he'll skate then too.  
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:31:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Other players laughed after this guy was knowked out cold!?    You can't ecpect better then that when you play with APES.  JMHO

ETA: the felony charge should've stuck.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:24:05 AM EDT
[#31]
My UT cousin refuses to E-Mail me back on this...

As I said, it could happen anywhere but busting Vol balls is just fun.

Now, about that kneecaping...
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:29:55 AM EDT
[#32]
This is why I hate pro sports.

It's all a bullshit con-job money-grab clusterfuck.

Fuck all these assholes.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:30:21 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:36:29 AM EDT
[#34]
Buncha crybaby nerds.

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:17:53 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Time to get a new f'in lawyer!

A deal was reached, and the victim was never even consulted?  That's pure and utter BS!

In a strange twist, maybe it's time for the victim to appeal the sentence.  Can that even be done?

With as much damage as was done to the victims face, they pleaded him down to misdemeanor assault?  Just goes to show that college degrees don't breed common sense.

This was the criminal case.  You don't have a say in the plea.  
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:26:57 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
You know.... Police don't catch random robbery/assualt suspects too often.

Dark alley, crowbar, and kneecaps.

Satisfying, but it doesn't help you.  Drag the civil suit out for a couple years when he goes pro.  Then take his money.  
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:37:54 AM EDT
[#37]
This phenomenon is funded entirely by those people who, for reasons I can't begin to understand, just live for watching sports. Were it not for their addiction, this nonsense would immediately cease.

While I do believe that there is a lot of good stuff that kids can learn from sports (if their parents don't fuck the whole thing up), how anyone can place enormous significance upon a group of grown men playing with a ball escapes me entirely. It's not as if the numerical outcome of a score based on artificial constructs really matters. Losing a bull fight matters. Losing on a dangerous game hunt matters. Losing a mountain climb matters. Losing a gunfight matters. Making a significant error in motor racing matters. But a ball game which children can play?

And, unlike bull fighting, mountain climbing, dangerous game hunting, gun fighting, and motor racing; a complete imbecile (obviously) can be successful in ball games.

So what exactly is the point?
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:41:15 AM EDT
[#38]
Damn whiners. If you were Fat Phil Fulmer and had a million+ contract, what would YOU do? IT'S BUSINESS, BABY!

Being from the state I'm from, I used to be on hand at the tube or stadium when THE University of Alabama hit the field, stomach all tied up. After watching NC2A shenanigans I progressed to listening to the radio as I do my weekend chores to probably not. Read about it in the paper Sunday a.m. My wife wants to drag ME down to T-Town for a game and I give in from time to time. She screams her head off and I munch peanuts. It's a racket.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top