Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/4/2005 6:15:16 AM EDT
What type of ammo do you all prefer?  I will be picking up a Beretta Storm CX4 next weekend and wondering what type of ammo I should run for the best velocity and accuracy.  I ordered it with all the optional rails and forward hand grip.  What type of red dot or scope works best on them?  
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:16:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:17:10 AM EDT
[#2]
I run whatever is cheapest through my Oly upper.  Even Wolf.  
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:18:02 AM EDT
[#3]
I just shoot generic 9mm FMJ thru my model B Uzi carbine, or 45ACP FMJ when I have the 45ACP kit installed.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:18:58 AM EDT
[#4]
On average, what are the Beretta Storm's going for right now?
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:19:51 AM EDT
[#5]
I shoot the winchester 100 pack from walmart through my CX4.  it shoots good enough for me!!
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:21:29 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

i bought my 9mm when it first came out for $650, i've seen them for 600 at gilberts in frankfurt gilberts
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:21:40 AM EDT
[#7]
I picked mine up for 650, and got a deal on the rail and hand grip (100 for the accessories).  I cant wait to shoot it.  Too bad I have to work next weekend, I wouldnt mind sending some rounds down range, might have to shoot it at the indoor range for a lil bit.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:23:18 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Speer 124gr +P GDHP or Remington 115gr +P+ JHP

Thats what I'm using in mine, shoots 2" groups at 100 yards. it is zeroed at 25, 2" high at 50, then zeroed again at 100. (Using trijicon reflex sight)
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:23:39 AM EDT
[#9]
What Wave said.  Either 115 or 124 grains and definitely +P.  Out of a 16 inch barrel wooo hooo
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:24:24 AM EDT
[#10]
My Storm shot most consistently & closest to POA right out of the box with the same Speer +P+ I use in my 9mm AR than others I tried (I tried all sorts of loads while breaking it in).  I've since put a red-dot on it and am still very happy with the performance of that load.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:41:55 AM EDT
[#11]
The Storm is awesome,

I've seen folks spend >$1k accessorizing thier $600 Carbine.  You rarely see one come back in on trade, since folks just love to shoot them.  Not sure it's tough enough to handle .40, and no high cap .45 mags, si I still have a 9mm on the wish list.

Aren't they using them on Batlestar Gallactica too??

BTW - can the 9mm handle +P loads?
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:45:31 AM EDT
[#12]
I've heard a rumor that they have extractor problems.  Any truth to that?  
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:14:50 AM EDT
[#13]
I tested a bunch of 9mm ammo through various 9mm carbines and pistols here:

9mm Carbine Ammo Tests

For my CX4 or PC9, I usually stick Speer 124 grain +P or similar.  Note how fast the Federal 124 gr +P+ LEO stuff is out of the CX4 -----> 1650fps!
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:24:58 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I run whatever is cheapest through my Oly upper.  Even Wolf.  

+1
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:25:38 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
BTW - can the 9mm handle +P loads?

They are rated for both +P & +P+ - the owner's manual simply warns that "extended use of +P and +P+ ammunition may lead to accelerated wear of some parts," which is basically true of any firearm.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:30:28 AM EDT
[#16]
I run whatever is available in my PC9.

GT
Clean it? What are you? Fucking nuts?
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:55:39 PM EDT
[#17]
So the +P ammo runs fine in the Storm?  What kind of red dot do you all prefer, I normally shoot iron sites, but what to do something differ with this one.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:57:26 PM EDT
[#18]
I generally shoot whatever out of my HK94...Finocci, Federal HP's, etc...all seems to run fine.

I personally eschew from +P and +P+, mostly because, well, it's a real HK94..I don't want to abuse it. I'll put 500 rounds through it in a session, but I don't like the idea of battering it more than it needs to be. I need to pick up a beater SW or something for that.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:17:52 PM EDT
[#19]
I have shoot both the fed & the win out of mine with no problems what so ever.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:31:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Next saturday on the way to pick up my storm, I will stop by and pick up some ammo from wally world.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:17:01 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I shoot the winchester 100 pack from walmart through my CX4.  it shoots good enough for me!!

550 at gunshow, less if you know a dealer.  mine is fantastic, but wish I'd held out for .45
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:18:06 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
So the +P ammo runs fine in the Storm?  What kind of red dot do you all prefer, I normally shoot iron sites, but what to do something differ with this one.

I started out with the el-cheapo Wally World special ($30 BSA), which worked fine.  After a while, I got an "itch" and put an EOTech on it...

... but for what I use it for (fun/plinking) and, more importantly, what I DON'T use it for (defense) I concluded that I really didn't need to tie up one of my EOTechs on a fun-gun.  I went back to the BSA, which hasn't let me down yet on this 9mm carbine.  (If it ever does I'll replace it, but I've had very good luck with the cheap BSAs on PCCs and RFs. )
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:31:27 AM EDT
[#23]
My AR 9mm will run everything reliably, except for the Speer GDHP.  Tons of jams.  Need to "tune" the feedramps to make it more reliable for the GDHPs.

However, I typically run Fed Hydra-Shok, NATO M882 and WhiteBox.  I prefer the M882.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:39:29 AM EDT
[#24]
My 9mm AR eats anything that's not a wide hollow point. It won't do Gold Dots.

My favorite load is subsonic hand rolled 147 grain flat tipped rounds with the minimum load of Hodgdon HS6. They sound somewhat between a loud air rifle and a 22lr, but without the sonic crack.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:59:36 AM EDT
[#25]
My Storm eats anything but prefers the hotter full powered 124gr. & 147gr. loads (standard or +P). While it will digest the 115gr WinWB it is very sluggish (slow to cycle). I have over 1000 rnds through mine. The only failure was a FTFeed on the second round I ever fired through it! After that it has not even blinked! With a good load like Speer 124gr GDJHP+P I would not hesitate to use this in my home for "bump in the night" situations. I have a Hakko Panoramic parallax free sight and this set up is deadly accurate and quick to employ.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:04:27 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

You can get a 9mm for $550 at the local store and a .45 at $650
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 4:52:54 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I started out with the el-cheapo Wally World special ($30 BSA), which worked fine.  After a while, I got an "itch" and put an EOTech on it...

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=38590

... but for what I use it for (fun/plinking) and, more importantly, what I DON'T use it for (defense) I concluded that I really didn't need to tie up one of my EOTechs on a fun-gun.  I went back to the BSA, which hasn't let me down yet on this 9mm carbine.  (If it ever does I'll replace it, but I've had very good luck with the cheap BSAs on PCCs and RFs. )

Does the shroud do anything for the rifle, or just looks?  I got mine with all the rail and a forward hand grip.  What type of light did you get for yours?  I will probally mount one on the side.  Once I get this one home, I will be sending my AR out for a make over to a local guy for a free float and some other changes.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:08:18 PM EDT
[#28]
I paid $400 for my CX4.  Did I get a good deal?

Where is a good source for 15+ round mags?
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:28:03 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Does the shroud do anything for the rifle, or just looks?  I got mine with all the rail and a forward hand grip.  What type of light did you get for yours?  I will probally mount one on the side.  Once I get this one home, I will be sending my AR out for a make over to a local guy for a free float and some other changes.

The shroud is just for looks.  FWIW, there is a guy here on Arfcom who is making one that look more like a "fake can" if you prefer that look.

That's a Streamlight M3 on mine in the picture - I have a half dozen of them that share duty on various guns.  When I had a VFG on my Storm, I had the light on the side-rail at 3:00 - but I didn't care much for the VFG on the Storm and went back to the configuration pictured (no VFG, light at 6:00 & controlled easily by the off-hand).
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:38:40 AM EDT
[#30]
Winchester Ranger SXT's.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top