Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/3/2005 9:53:42 PM EDT

www.wftv.com/news/4801190/detail.html

Police: Man Fabricated Murder Story To Make Wife Leave Him

POSTED: 5:48 pm EDT August 2, 2005
UPDATED: 6:46 am EDT August 3, 2005

OCALA, Fla. -- A man made up a story about killing a hitchhiker and burying the body in the woods in an effort to persuade his wife to leave him, authorities said.

Teddy Claire Akin, 28, of Ocala, was charged Tuesday with making a false report and petit theft. He was being held without bail.

Akin's wife, Felicia, called the Marion County Sheriff's Office Monday to report that her husband had told her that he killed a hitchhiker, authorities said.

Akin told investigators he had picked up the hitchhiker, who wanted a ride to Tampa. He said he hit the man in the neck, causing him to gasp and make a gurgling sound, when the two got into an argument over how far Akin would drive him, authorities said.

Akin said he dumped the body in a forest near a gun range and kept the man's wallet, which contained the license of Utah resident Dennis Legrande Allen, authorities said.

Deputies searching the area Akin described with dogs and an air unit failed to find a body Monday evening, Capt. Thomas Bibb said.

Akin eventually told investigators that he was going through a divorce and had hoped the murder story would make his wife leave him, said Sue Livoti, a sheriff's office spokeswoman.

"It seems he wanted to get a little attention and sympathy from his wife," Bibb said.

Akin told investigators he found the wallet on top of a newspaper stand. Investigators reached Allen in Utah by phone; Allen said he did not know Akin.

The sheriff's office would probably bill Akin for the cost of their seven-hour search, Bibb said.

"This was something that cost us a lot of time and energy," Bibb said.

A message left early Wednesday at the county public defender's office was not immediately returned.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:57:24 PM EDT
[#1]
*whistling*
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 10:02:53 PM EDT
[#2]
So where did the driver's license come from?
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 10:19:24 PM EDT
[#3]
They should charge the wife. She made the false report. Heck, he was just writing fiction and bouncing ideas off her.

I love the fact he's being held without bail. Such a danger to society. Telling a tale. Pissing the Sheriff off. Wasn't there something about "excessive bail" or something I read once? Hmmmm????
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 10:24:40 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
So where did the driver's license come from?

Akin told investigators he found the wallet on top of a newspaper stand. Investigators reached Allen in Utah by phone; Allen said he did not know Akin.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:08:52 AM EDT
[#5]
They will hold this guy without bail but not a murder or rapist suspect.  Hell, he will likely get money out of this cause his civil rights were violated.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:11:02 AM EDT
[#6]
I wish my wife would leave ....
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:13:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Wow, that could have worked out really well if he had told the cops he didn't know what his wife was talking about.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 2:29:49 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Wow, that could have worked out really well if he had told the cops he didn't know what his wife was talking about.

+1. His only illegality was echoing his fairy tale to the PD.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 2:31:06 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I wish my wife would leave ....

ask her to start hitch hicking?
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 2:35:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Good plan; poor execution.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top