Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2005 9:37:44 PM EDT

The other evening I was driving home along a two lane road.  Nothing special, just listening to the radio with the windows down.  

Anyway, there is a small red sporty car with a targa style top that is off with a one person in it.  I am driving behind him in a stock Dodge 2500 4X4 Ram pickup for a 1/3 mile or so.  I had my headlights on since it was close to dusk and generally I flip 'em on all the time.  So, after about 1/3 to 1/2 mile, he swerves over into a large driveway, but doesn't pull in.  I pass him and he is looking at me, shaking his head side to side slowly with a disgusted look on his face.  I pass him and the guy behind me does as well.  I am thinking "WTF, did I cut him off or something."  I can honestly say I don't what, if anything, I did to piss him off.  A mile or so later, I come to a four way stop and take a right.  75 yds later I take a left into the road that leads into my subdivision.  About 100yds or so up that road, I then hear a car reving behind me and he is 100yd or so behind me on the street I just turned off of and appears to be following me and trying to catch up to me.  I keep driving normally  to determine if he really is following me, but turn into another driveway instead of my own and stop.  He stops 50-75yds short at the end of the street and begins to turn around.  I  back out and start to follow him, mostly to send the message, "Screw with me?  I ain't afraid to screw back."  Anyway, not much of a chase!  Sports car vs Dodge diesel truck  He is way ahead of me, but pulled off and waited, did a 180 when he saw it was too late for me to turn and follow.  This happened about 2 miles from where I started following him.   I pointed at him and laughed.   Drove around another 10 or so minutes to make sure he was gone and went home.  I was never close enough to get a license plate number.

I like what my wife said.  "You're like a dang dog chasing a car!  What would have done if you caught it?"  Well I was just letting him know I wasn't going to roll over with a please don't hurt me attitude.  Who knows what kind of asshat he is?  I didn't want to look helpless and invite him back if he felt in the mood to screw with someone at a later date.  I was armed, but funny, knew I would NEVER get out of the truck, nor even stop.  Too much risk of something getting out of hand.  Looking back, I probably should have just started after him for a few hundred yards, turned around and gone home.

How would yall have handled it?

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:39:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Dont egg-on morons. Ignore them while staying vigilant.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:40:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I would have parked in the asshole's driveway across the street.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:43:40 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I agree, and think I strayed too far on the egging on side.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:43:45 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I would have parked in the asshole's driveway across the street.

Ben
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:57:40 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I  back out and start to follow him, mostly to send the message, "Screw with me?  I ain't afraid to screw back."  

Leave your piece at home until you can resist these urges.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 10:01:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I would have pulled into some place public, not my own place.  Then the ball's in his court.  If he want to take it to the next level that's his problem. Once he gets above a certain level, it's REALLY his problem.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 10:10:05 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I  back out and start to follow him, mostly to send the message, "Screw with me?  I ain't afraid to screw back."  

Leave your piece at home until you can resist these urges.

Point taken.  By armed, I mean there was a weapon in the vehicle, but not immediately available.  At the beginning, I made a very conscious decision NOT to retrieve it and also NOT to stop or get out of the truck.

Funny, I wasn't really pissed personally, nor even mad, but I resented  this guy for wanting to know where my family and home are.  Much like if someone was acting suspicious around your house, a brief show of fortitude is in order to discourage anything else.  In this situation, that display of resolve was difficult, if not impossible to do.  Hence why I brought the subject up for discussion and your point is well made, as well as brief.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 10:10:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Your headlights probably pissed him off.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 10:12:25 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I would have pulled into some place public, not my own place.  Then the ball's in his court.  If he want to take it to the next level that's his problem. Once he gets above a certain level, it's REALLY his problem.

No pubic places available.  I pulled into a driveway (not my own)  in another neighborhood near mine.  Only thing I could think of at the time.

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 10:14:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Convertable you say? Got  a spyderco?

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 10:14:11 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Your headlights probably pissed him off.

That is what I was thinking.

You would think if you drove a car that drags your @ss 2 inches off the pavement, you would know EVERYBODY'S headlights are bright!
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 10:14:59 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Convertable you say? Got  a spyderco?

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 10:28:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Drive to a police station. Or the driveway of someone you hate. Or call up the missus
on the cell phone and tell her to pick the guy off with a rifle as you drive past
the house.

If you do stop, take care to not get boxed in.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 10:31:11 PM EDT
[#14]
he probably got offended that a dodge was trying to pass him....especialy a damn cummins
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 10:36:33 PM EDT
[#15]
How far behind him were you, and how fast were you going?

How loud was your car radio?

How much other traffic is on that road?
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 10:39:49 PM EDT
[#16]
I assume Bubba lives in ''doctorville" Might have been another Doc wondering what a redneck in a big ass truck was doing in that neighborhood.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 11:08:06 PM EDT
[#17]
That guy came back and tried to have sex with my goat later that night.  Good thing I live near a car wash.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:06:27 PM EDT
[#18]
The last time I had that happened to me I pulled into the gun club!  and he didn't follow. Smarter than I thought he was.h.gif
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:15:37 PM EDT
[#19]
hope you keep your truck in the garage..
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:20:13 PM EDT
[#20]
I wouldn't have followed him.  That's just asking for trouble.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:22:29 PM EDT
[#21]
When I used to actually have a diesel Benz, I was always able to thwart would-be tailgaters by letting them get real close at a stop light and then power-brake the shit out of those 5 cylinders of Teutonic soot-belching goodness! They'd be lost in a black cloud when the light turned green.

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:30:00 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Drive to a police station.

+1

If you do stop, take care to not get boxed in.

+1 again.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:35:00 PM EDT
[#23]
something else to keep besides a gun in your truck is a old POS broke camcorder, the perp wont know it's not working.  Being video taped or appearing to be video taped will cull out 95% of the hard asses, the other 5% is what the gun is for
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:37:37 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

+1 I just ignore the other idiots out there. Let's face the truth if they are going faster than you they are an idiot, if they are going slower than you they are an idiot.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:43:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Are your headlights out of alignment?  He might have thought you were high-beaming him.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:46:42 PM EDT
[#26]
be careful with morons. one today or yeseterday decided he'd had enough, went home, got his gun went back and wacked the offender..

its like this.. guy goes to his doc, doc says.. you have inoperable anal cancer, you will be dead in six months, better take a couple more percodans .. might help..

dude gets in his car drives home.. a 'i don't take shit from nobody' pisses this guy off.. he's got nothing to loose, his pissed, is anus is toast, his got 6 painful months to live, you're an asshole for some reason in his eyes, he pulls that old 1911 he's kept in his glove box for years and tries to settle a few scores with life and faith in general and you get a lead suprise...
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:54:44 PM EDT
[#27]
If lead does end up flying, it looks far better to have been the one completely avoiding confrontation.

myitinaw
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:03:51 PM EDT
[#28]
[qoute]I would have pulled into some place public, not my own place.[/qoute]

Same thing I wouldve done either pulled up to police/fire station or somewhere like a supermarket and let him made the 1st move.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:12:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Could have felt you were tailgating him with your brights on.

I get rednecks in their trucks tailgating me on my motorcycle with the fifty fucking lights on fairly regularly. I try to speed up to get some room, and then they speed up to tailgate again. A handfull of pennies will sometimes fix this problem. Or if you are less than 7 yards from his bumper, you could not be a dick and pass the poor bastard.

GT
I need to find a good packaging system for copier toner. Defense like an octopus. Ink the threat and evade!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top