Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/3/2005 9:30:15 PM EDT
You could be 7/8 white, and 1/8 black, and society is going to call you black.

If your Asian and European, guess what, your Asian.  Asian and black? Now you get to be black.

Why is that?  Why is Colin Powell 'black' when in reality he's probably just as European as he is African?

Seems like bullshit to me.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:32:53 PM EDT
[#1]
It's about color of the skin. Thought you would've learned that by now like the rest of us have known since children. Slow discovery for you?
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:32:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Maybe people like being  members of a victim group!
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:35:33 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

If your Asian and European, guess what, your Asian.  Asian and black? Now you get to be black.

Why is that?  Why is Colin Powell 'black' when in reality he's probably just as European as he is African?

Because it's a predominantly white society therefore you tag the difference. It's natural. Get used to it. Pretty soon there will be more Hispanics and white will be the minority. Don't worry. Is it right? I don't know.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:35:47 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
It's about color of the skin. Thought you would've learned that by now like the rest of us have known since children. Slow discovery for you?

Hell, I just read this one response, and I've already figured out that you're a retard.

Many "black" people have a skin color that's closer to white than black.  Sticking with the Powell example, homeboy is pretty pale.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:38:16 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Because it's a predominantly white society therefore you tag the difference. It's natural. Get used to it. Pretty soon there will be more Hispanics and white will be the minority. Don't worry. Is it right? I don't know.

It happens in non-white society too.  Brown + Black = Black.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:39:07 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It happens in non-white society too.  Brown + Black = Black.

Well, is it a brown society that does that? Would make sense...
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:39:22 PM EDT
[#7]
it helps them get into college for free
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:52:36 PM EDT
[#8]
we are all related to each other. it's the only thing that makes sense.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 10:00:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Yep, know watcha mean. 1/2 white, 1/2 chinese but some how I just get labeled as chinese. I wouldn't understand it either if I was labeled as just white. Hell I don't really care if people call me a halfie, halfbreed or mutt. At least it's more accurate than just white or just chinese.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 10:04:36 PM EDT
[#10]
RACE
check ALL that apply  
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 10:05:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Hmm... I wonder if that 5% Cherokee/Iriquois ancestry can get me a scholarship...
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 10:05:47 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Hmm... I wonder if that 5% Cherokee/Iriquois ancestry can get me a scholarship...

Play your cards right....
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 10:06:30 PM EDT
[#13]
in an "ideal" world it wouldn't matter.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 10:06:51 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

It worked for Ward Churchill
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 10:09:06 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

do you look it? can you back it up? If so milk that all you can! You'd be stupid not to take advantage of a free ride through school.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 10:10:27 PM EDT
[#16]
It is because in addition to color, there are some characteristics that are common to particular races.  Often times, those characteristics are dominant, meaning that although the person is 1/2 white, the other half's characteristics show up and are obvious.

With the black race, the flared nostrils, curly hair, and larger lips, tend to show black ancestry.  Powell, although light skinned (which tends to show some white ancestry), has curly hair and flared nostrils.

With the yellow race, the slanted eyes, flat noses, small stature, and stubborn straight hair, tend to show yellow ancestry.

So when a cop for example sees a suspect and is broadcasting the description for other officers to attempt to locate the suspect, he/she will often say HMA, BMA, or AMA, etc.  He/she is not going to say that the suspect appears to be of mixed ancestry, he is going to just categorize the person.  That's what most people do, they just put people into a category based on their first impression.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 10:10:59 PM EDT
[#17]
They pull the race card on that 25% ethnicity when it suits them.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 10:31:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Tradition.  Look up the "one drop rule".
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 10:45:38 PM EDT
[#19]
It was the opposite for me.  I'm half Filipino and half white, and everybody in my high school said I was white.  Now, in college, everyone just thinks I'm Hispanic, lol.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 11:32:12 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
It was the opposite for me.  I'm half Filipino and half white, and everybody in my high school said I was white.  Now, in college, everyone just thinks I'm Hispanic, lol.

Hey so am I.  

In Texas everyone assumes I'm Mexican.  When I went to New Jersey with my mom a few years ago, people started asking me what part of Asia I was from, for the first time ever.

I've never been considered white.  Sometimes I just throw people for a loop when they ask me what I am, and I say, "I'm white."  It's amusing; they usually don't know how to respond to that, even though I have just as much Asian blood as European blood... but whatever.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 11:54:01 PM EDT
[#21]
If you are 1/2 Asian and 1/2 European = Eurasian. Look it up, it's actually in the dictionary.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 11:54:03 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I'm not really sure what your're on about here.  Is it racism?  My complexion is generally white so if some one had to describe me I would expect that they would describe me as,.... oh I don't know white.  Perhaps.......

Now if I were as you say, and I'm not really sure how this works geneticly speaking "7/8 white, and 1/8 black" and my skin color was for the sake of argument black, I would sorta expect that I would be described as..... black person.  It's not so much a label as a description.

This black guy just suddenly ran up and performed CPR on the child.

If I were "7/8 black, and 1/8 white" and my complexion was white should I be upset at being described as white?

This white guy just suddenly ran up and performed CPR on the child.

Exactly what is the difference?

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 12:04:31 AM EDT
[#23]
What really irks me as that when we go to the beach my pastey white skin gets beet red while my half white/half mexican daughters skin just gets browner!!
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 12:06:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 12:06:58 AM EDT
[#25]
1/2 Japanese, 1/2 White here and people seem to lump me in with who I'm hanging out with.  Most of my friends are white so most people assume I'm white although there are certainly some that think I'm mexican since I tan easily.  Once in a while somebody gets it right that I'm a "hapa haole" (white/asian) because of my eyes.  BTW, there are no women more beautiful than half White half Asian women, if in doubt check out the chick in that shitty Smallville show.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 12:43:14 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
there are no races folks, and the comment about "physical characteristics" are blatantly wrong.

Well, um indeed their are differing races in the human species, and we all have different characteristics, appearances etc.

Physical Characteristics are not blatantly wrong, they are a fact of life.  What is wrong is how an individual deals with these differences.

A yellow flower is.... well it's yellow isn't it.   A purple flower is.......  well it's not yellow is it.  That doesn't mean the purple flower is any less pretty, it's just not yellow.

Now if love yellow flowers and hate purple flowers it's not the purple flowers fault nor is it the yellow flowers fault.  They didn't have any choice in their creation nor should they be offended if someone comes along and calls them yellow or purple.

Tweak, I'm not sure what you've been smoking but I think it's only fair that you share......  
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 1:25:05 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

In places like Mexico City, for example, have a large numbers of natural blonde, blue eyed mexican women ... taken from the Spain side of the things and have little or no native indian in them.   Just watch a Mexican soap and see (novela)
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:51:00 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Yep, know watcha mean. 1/2 white, 1/2 chinese but some how I just get labeled as chinese. I wouldn't understand it either if I was labeled as just white. Hell I don't really care if people call me a halfie, halfbreed or mutt. At least it's more accurate than just white or just chinese.

A buddy of mine is in the same situation (except he's 1/2 Korean) and his CCW says he's white.  

My (old) CCW said I was "O" in terms of race, which must mean I'm in the "Other" category.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:55:10 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
there are no races folks, and the comment about "physical characteristics" are blatantly wrong.

It is my understanding that there are in fact races.  Mongoloid, Africanus, and Caucasian.

I'm dark to the point where people have asked if I was from Greece or Mexico or American Indian, but my ancestry is mainly Western European.

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:59:47 AM EDT
[#30]
The way things are, it seems the farther away you are from "white", the better off you are (the more special treatment you get).
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 8:06:12 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

i'm half white/half asian (japanese) but i guess most folks consider me white. i always put "asian" on my gun forms though. i figger it looks better in the stats of folks who buy firearms.

i've been mistaken for everything from latino, to jewish, to hawaiian, to arabic...everything but japanese and anglo-saxon...

hahahaha i was with a black friend of mine and we went to se dc and these black kids followed us and called me a "sandnigger"! that was hilarious!
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 8:08:10 AM EDT
[#32]
As an aside, I prefer being refered to as "European-American" instead of "White."  White seems to be indicitive of being blank, or characterless.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 8:15:33 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

What about albino "negroids" (albino black guy is kind of an oxy moron)? They're white as any other cracker. They still have the other "physcial characteristics" such as "flared nostrils" and "curly hair".
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 8:28:05 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Tradition.  Look up the "one drop rule".

It's not just "tradition".

It's written into law.

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 8:33:34 AM EDT
[#35]
"Why are bushs....bushy?"
"Why is the sun yellow?"

- IT JUST IS!
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 8:49:43 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
...Once in a while somebody gets it right that I'm a "hapa haole" (white/asian) because of my eyes.  ...

Could you explain "hao le"  and its connotations for the rest of us?  We should all have an awareness of this term and how it's used in the asian / pacific cultures.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 9:06:43 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Could you explain "hao le"  and its connotations for the rest of us?  We should all have an awareness of this term and how it's used in the asian / pacific cultures.

My college roomie was from Guam.  He said it basically means a mainlander (i.e. a non-islander).  I did not ask specifically but I did not believe there is any racial connotation to the word.  You do not have to be white to be a "hao le".  As an example, because I am from the US continent (PA) I was a "hao le" to him.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 9:11:30 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Less than 5% for Ward.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 9:17:10 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey so am I.  

In Texas everyone assumes I'm Mexican.  When I went to New Jersey with my mom a few years ago, people started asking me what part of Asia I was from, for the first time ever.

I've never been considered white.  Sometimes I just throw people for a loop when they ask me what I am, and I say, "I'm white."  It's amusing; they usually don't know how to respond to that, even though I have just as much Asian blood as European blood... but whatever.

shut up you bunch of FLIPS!

just kidding!  im half filipino myself, my mom's mexican from texas!
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 9:22:26 AM EDT
[#40]
I read somewhere about a 'white guy' who always put down 'native american', since he was born and lived his whole life in America (and is thus 'native').

My personal opinion is that we need to stop asking these stupid fucking questions.  Racism is Racism, regardless of if the person's a minority or not.  Just stop asking these questions, and judge people on their merits, not the color of their skin.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 10:21:23 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is my understanding that there are in fact races.  Mongoloid, Africanus, and Caucasian.

I'm dark to the point where people have asked if I was from Greece or Mexico or American Indian, but my ancestry is mainly Western European.

Mongoloid, Australoid, Caucasian, and Negroid, actually.  Within those larger groups, things get interesting.  Really, looking at Linnean taxonomy, they would actually be species (or subspecies, depending on how picky you were) (for instance, Negroid) with a subcategory like "race" (pygmies and the black people that everyone thinks of as "typical African", the black people in Ethiopia, who aren't actually that closely related to "typical African" black people, and the Bushmen and similar relic populations), and subraces (in the "typical African" group, that would be pygmies, Nilotic black people like Manute Bol, and so on).  One of the interesting aspects of the genetic mapping projects going on now is that they are giving us really good graphs of this stuff, so we can start to reconstruct movements of early peoples.

There is no good reason not to figure this stuff out.

More to the point, I know lots of mixed people, I am allegely part French, Arab, Spanish, and so on, but I look like a Mexican.  I would be really surprised to see someone ferret out a 1/8 black or Thai or whatever.  How the heck can you tell at that point?

And yes, Thai/white chicks are really hot.  I don't know why, but whatever it is, I want more of it.  Another good argument (besides Jennifer Connelly) for advancing the science of human cloning!
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 10:27:47 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The thing is he does not have any indian blood.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 10:57:43 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:
...Once in a while somebody gets it right that I'm a "hapa haole" (white/asian) because of my eyes.  ...

in hawaii, "howlie" is what kanaka's call whites. it's usually a racial epithet like "cracker" "honkie" etc.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 11:04:30 AM EDT
[#44]
Kinda like old Eldrick (tiger) Woods.
He is half asian and half black but he is always referred to as black.
This is simple really, it's because in todays society there are some advantages to being black or another minority, both financially and socially.
It's "cooler" in todays media culture to be a minority.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 11:06:09 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Depends where you are. I'm half korean and half irish. I was born in South Korea, while I was there I was referred to as white or american, come to the USA and I'm considered a chink. Yeah I got in hundreds of fights, never fit in anywhere, but I learned that I can beat the shit out of 99.9% of the the world (actually lost a few of the several hundred fights I've been in).
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 12:21:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 9:51:39 PM EDT
[#47]
FWIW...

March 9, 2000
OMB Bulletin No. 00-02
Guidance on Aggregation and Allocation of Data on Race for Use in  Civil Rights Monitoring and Enforcement

II. Allocation Guidance:
Federal agencies will use the following rules to allocate multiple race responses for use in civil rights monitoring and enforcement.
 * Responses in the five single race categories are not allocated.
 * Responses that combine one minority race and white are allocated to the minority race.
 * Responses that include two or more minority races are allocated as follows:
    - If the enforcement action is in response to a complaint, allocate to the race that the complainant alleges the discrimination was based on.
    - If the enforcement action requires assessing disparate impact or discriminatory patterns, analyze the patterns based on alternative allocations to each of the minority groups.

"The one-drop rule was invented by slave masters because they wanted to have more slaves. Today, ironically, the one-drop rule has been embraced by black folks because we want more black folks. After all, greater numbers translate into greater political and social clout."
~ Clarence Page,
journalist/editorialist for The Chicago Tribune.

Page goes on to discuss the example SPECTRE brought up regarding Tiger Woods.

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:26:49 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

in hawaii, "howlie" is what kanaka's call whites. it's usually a racial epithet like "cracker" "honkie" etc.

That's the way I heard it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top