Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/3/2005 9:29:06 PM EDT
got this email from them today.
you'd think they'd be smart enough not to harp on the vacation time crap that the liberals spew

14 Marines Killed in <?xml:namespace
                                            prefix = st1 ns =
                   "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags"
                        />Iraq<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns =
                     "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office"
                                                         />

as President Bush Vacations

Does the Bush Administration Take Its Job Seriously?

(Washington, D.C.)  On Wednesday, 14 Marines deployed to Iraq from Ohio were killed when
                   their armored vehicle hit a roadside bomb.  The attack is one of the deadliest attacks to take
                   place in Iraq.  Days earlier, six Marines from the same unit were killed in a fire-fight near
                   Haditha.  

Meanwhile, Republican President George W. Bush set out yesterday to begin his five week
                   vacation in Crawford Texas.  The planned vacation will be the longest presidential getaway in
                   36 years (Richard Nixon spent over a month at his San Clemente estate in 1969).

While Bush's aides and enablers defend the president's aggressive vacationing, it is simply
                   poor leadership on the part of the Commander in Chief.  While American soldiers, sailors,
                   Marines and airmen are disallowed from simply returning to the United States as scheduled
                   and risks their lives in Iraq each day, the President of the United States enjoys the comfort
                   and pleasures of his Crawford ranch.

"As a self-professed 'Wartime President', George W. Bush needs to start taking his job
                   seriously by showing the leadership that our troops deserve," said Shane Cory, director of
                   communications for the Libertarian Party.

Cory continued, "Throughout his presidency, Bush has wrapped himself in patriotic rhetoric by
                   using the troops as the focus of American pride.  It's time for Bush to take a step toward
                   working as hard as they do by simply staying on the job and finding a way to bring our troops
                   home."

Quick Facts:

American troops reported dead in Iraq: 1822
                        Length of the invasion/occupation of Iraq: 869 days  
                        Vacation days of the Bush presidency: 319 days (20%)
                        Average days of annual paid vacation of the working American: 13
                        Days of annual leave for military personnel: 30

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:31:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I hate shit like that. I think the man with the most stressful job on earth deserves a bit of time to himself. Plus, its not like he is NOT working even when he is there...
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:33:41 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I hate shit like that. I think the man with the most stressful job on earth deserves a bit of time to himself. Plus, its not like he is NOT working even when he is there...

+1

He definately knows what is going on, and makes decisions, even if he is living at his ranch.  He is still working.

Its not like he does what I do, and turn his work cellular phone off and tell anyone who disturbs him to piss off
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:36:08 PM EDT
[#3]
My dad used to be a big time Libertarian.  National Secretary as a matter of fact.
Their stance on the War on Terrorism was the final straw.
The Libertarians are really just dope smoking peace niks who hate paying taxes now.
The Constitution isn't even important to them anymore.
For the original concept of the party, the CATO institute is one of the few remaining bastions.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:36:49 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Exactly!

I also heard that after he was declared "the fittest" President some liberals were complaining that he should spend less time PTing and more time worrying about the epidemic of obese children in America.  IMO, he is doing just that by setting the example for Americans to follow.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:37:18 PM EDT
[#5]
The Libertarian Party consist of far left and far right wackies that can't bring themselves to participate in the real political process. But that's just my opinion.

Always keep in mind that the Libertarians generally support a head-in-the-sand foreign and military policy.  According to the Libertarians, about the only reason to go to war is an attack on American soil.

9/11, sadly, did not qualify for them. *shrug*
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:37:57 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
My dad used to be a big time Libertarian.  National Secretary as a matter of fact.
The Libertarians are really just dope smoking peace niks who hate paying taxes now.
For the original concept of the party, the CATO institute is one of the few remaining bastions.

Never considered being a libertarian at all. Never will, and this just solidified my opinion.

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:43:12 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Actually, you hit the nail on the head.  The only thing you're missing is that Libertarians support gun rights as well... however, I have noticed more and more they're not any more likely to be serious about using those rights for the role in which they were intended.  Some of my best "what do you an an AR-15 for?" comments have come from Libertarians.  It's sad, but the party really has become about dope and not paying taxes, you're absolutely right.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:45:07 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, you hit the nail on the head.  The only thing you're missing is that Libertarians support gun rights as well... however, I have noticed more and more they're not any more likely to be serious about using those rights for the role in which they were intended.  Some of my best "what do you an an AR-15 for?" comments have come from Libertarians.  It's sad, but the party really has become about dope and not paying taxes, you're absolutely right.

Ask a libby "What do you need dope for?"

Ben
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:46:51 PM EDT
[#9]
If ANYONE thinks that POTUS isn't a 24/7 job they are out of their fucking minds.

Even if you aren't "on duty" in the Oval Office you're CONSTANTLY in the loop about things going on that would make most people crawl into a corner and die weeping like a frightened child.

All one has to do is look at photos taken of Presidents over the course of their terms.  People under "normal" stress levels don't age like that.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:47:28 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Never considered being a libertarian at all. Never will, and this just solidified my opinion.

The way I see it, you can be a libertarian and not be a Libertarian.

If you honestly believe that law-abiding citizens shouldn't be messed with by the government beyond the absolute necessities of keeping our society from falling into lawless anarchy, then you might have libertarian tendencies.  There's a good number of people like that in the GOP still, and by helping to guide the GOP in the right direction those folks can actually make a difference, something that pot-smoking hippies like Badnarik won't ever do.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 10:03:39 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

the party has been run over by a bunch of hippies who just want weed to be legal and fuck everything else.

why im now a regersitered Independant instead of a libertarian.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 10:04:24 PM EDT
[#12]
The Libertarian Party faces the same problems all small, new parties face. Most of the active leaders are ideologues who have no regard for public relations. These people measure success by ideological purity. Getting people elected often takes a back seat in their minds. I vote LP whenever I can because the alternative is voting for the status quo. I'd rather deal with the occasional 'nutty' Libertarian than what we see in the GOP and DNC parties of today.

Galland
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 10:09:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 3:09:06 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
One of my best friends used to be a higher-up in the Illinois Libertarian party.  He worked hard to recruit me about ten years ago.  These days he just glares when I bring it up and refuses to talk about it.  The party had its fifteen minutes--now go away.  

[Blues Brothers]I hate Illinois Libertarians...[/Blues Brothers]
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 3:24:02 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
The Libertarian Party faces the same problems all small, new parties face. Most of the active leaders are ideologues who have no regard for public relations. These people measure success by ideological purity. Getting people elected often takes a back seat in their minds. I vote LP whenever I can because the alternative is voting for the status quo. I'd rather deal with the occasional 'nutty' Libertarian than what we see in the GOP and DNC parties of today.

Galland

And you go along with it?  History has passed the Libertarian Party by, and they don't even know it yet.

They are taken seriously by no one.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 3:32:57 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Meanwhile, Republican President George W. Bush set out yesterday to begin his five week
vacation in Crawford Texas.  The planned vacation will be the longest presidential getaway in
36 years (Richard Nixon spent over a month at his San Clemente estate in 1969)............Vacation days of the Bush presidency: 319 days (20%) Average days of annual paid vacation of the working American: 13 Days of annual leave for military personnel: 30

I think the thing that gets most people who object to this sort of thing is the "5 week" thing. As stated in the blurb at the end, 5 weeks is way above what most people take for vacations, even if he is "working" while he's at the ranch.Maybe if he broke it up into smaller chunks spread out, even if he made a couple of trips back to DC for some nominal reason during that time, or made some trips around the country while he's down there, people couldn't jump on the 5 week issue. Most people don't see 5 weeks off ina  row once their out of school until they retire.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 3:55:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Libertarian= wasted vote
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:00:37 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
And you go along with it?  History has passed the Libertarian Party by, and they don't even know it yet.

They are taken seriously by no one.

By 'they' do you mean the party leadership or the little guys who run for city dog catcher and so forth? The local people who run for small offices are usually down to Earth. And yes, I do go along with anything that erodes the Republicrat power base. Of course I'd much rather destroy the Democrat power base before the Republican power base is given attention. The GOP platform (that document that most major GOP office holders ignore) is much closer to the Libertarian platform than the DNC platform. If a Libertarian is on the ticket, he or she usually gets my vote. If not, then the Republican will likely get it.

There are cases where I've voted for a Republican instead of the LP candidate- usually races in which the Democrat is an obvious modern leftist who stands a decent chance of winning. Elizabeth Dole ran against a fellow named Bowles who was a big Clinton era DNC toadie. I wanted to vote for the LP candidate, but I thought it was more important to defeat the DNC in that race.

Galland
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:05:22 AM EDT
[#19]
The president taking 5 weeks vacation only means he is not in DC for 5 weeks, he will probably only get 1 few hours a day for relaxation time.  

I found out when I became a field grade a while back that your leave and vacation doesn't belong to you, for my 30 days last year I maybe had 5 I didn't work, you still have to do conference calls, catch up on paper work and respond to all the phone calls when something happens.  OWA (Outlook Web Access) has made work at home the standard even away from the office.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:24:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Libertarians = Pot smoking Republicans
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:27:41 AM EDT
[#21]
I am a libertarian at heart but sadly, both the Republican and Libertarian party have caused me to loose faith.  Both hold positions that are uterly stupid.  These days I vote on a candidate bases regardless of party affiliation.  I WILL NOT VOTE FOR A DEM.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:33:24 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Bingo. He still has security briefings. He still performs all the functions of CIC. Roosevelt used to spend entire summers outside of DC, and he was a liberal hero, remember?

We ought to do whatever we can to keep politicians from being in Washington as much as possible.

Bush haters are just looking for any reason they can find to bash the man.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:34:32 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Exactly!

I also heard that after he was declared "the fittest" President some liberals were complaining that he should spend less time PTing and more time worrying about the epidemic of obese children in America.  IMO, he is doing just that by setting the example for Americans to follow.

Liberal mindset:

How dare the President work out that much! He should just say how important it is to be healthy while downing Big Macs, because children listen to words more than actions!
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:37:20 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
36 years (Richard Nixon spent over a month at his San Clemente estate in 1969)............Vacation days of the Bush presidency: 319 days (20%) Average days of annual paid vacation of the working American: 13 Days of annual leave for military personnel: 30

I think the thing that gets most people who object to this sort of thing is the "5 week" thing. As stated in the blurb at the end, 5 weeks is way above what most people take for vacations, even if he is "working" while he's at the ranch.Maybe if he broke it up into smaller chunks spread out, even if he made a couple of trips back to DC for some nominal reason during that time, or made some trips around the country while he's down there, people couldn't jump on the 5 week issue. Most people don't see 5 weeks off ina  row once their out of school until they retire.

FWIW, the President WILL be making visits to other places during his "vacation", talking up his agenda.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:41:37 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
FWIW, the President WILL be making visits to other places during his "vacation", talking up his agenda.

Then they should downplay the length as being 5 weeks then. Its a matter of perception.Of course, someone should also ask how long the Congressional break is, and whether the Members are holding town meetings with constituents during that time period and that sort of thing.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:45:35 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Then they should downplay the length as being 5 weeks then. Its a matter of perception.Of course, someone should also ask how long the Congressional break is, and whether the Members are holding town meetings with constituents during that time period and that sort of thing.

The "they" making a big deal about all of this is the press, who almost universally loathe Bush.

"They" aren't going to give him a fair shake, are they?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top