Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2005 8:28:59 PM EDT
Career mid-life crisis time!

I am considering applying to one of the many alphabet-soup organizations based in Washington, DC. The particular one is not important, but let's just say I would actually be helping to make a difference.

The thing is, it's a government job. The minimum pay cut I'd be seeing (and that's assuming I peg the range scale when I come in) is 30%. The area is anywhere from 20% to 60% more expensive than where I live now, so you can see the pay cut would be a bitch, especially with child support to pay.

So, the question becomes, step back down the career ladder and start over (at 37), or stay put and keep climbing from where I'm at, but not really make a difference?

Needless to say, this is all based upon the assumption that I actually get in, which is a WILD assumption.

So, any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.

Funny. Sometimes it sucks having too many options available to you....
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:32:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Stick it in her pooper and oooops wrong thread.

If a paycut will hurt you, don't do it. If it's your dream job ie your passion with a paycut, then go for it.

A man who loves his job never works a day in his life.

Zaphod the Fed? Let us know when dog days are at the range.....

HS1
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:33:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Stay put and retire early.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:33:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd say go with the one that makes you happy, because it's a major drag when you hate what you do.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:34:33 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:34:50 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Are you kidding? I'm just barely putting my life back together after my divorce, and I'm still $40K+ in the hole!

Retire?

They'll bury me in a cubicle.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:35:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Do it so i'll have "connections" when i'm looking for a .fed job next year
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:35:45 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I'd say go with the one that makes you happy, because it's a major drag when you hate what you do.

Fortunately, I don't hate what I do.

But man, would I LOVE to do this other thing....
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:39:09 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you kidding? I'm just barely putting my life back together after my divorce, and I'm still $40K+ in the hole!

Retire?

They'll bury me in a cubicle.

My reply was a trick

If you won't be able to retire early in your current situation, what happens if you change? Hmm? Going to be worse.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:58:55 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

If you won't be able to retire early in your current situation, what happens if you change? Hmm? Going to be worse.

Maybe. I guess part of me simply doesn't want to be laying on his deathbed thinking I could have done more...
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:59:30 PM EDT
[#10]
A 20% to 60% paycut is pretty huge.

Look at it this way.  Is working this job worth you paying 20% of your current salary?  If you went it bought this happiness off the rack at wally world is it worth it?

Many people feel the need to "do more to help" or "make a difference" when they are at a comfortable position in their lives.  If you take a 20% to 60% pay cut your not going to be in such a comfortable position.  You will be more stressed about bills, retirement money and lack of senority.  You'll be working for the government and all the bureacratic BS that comes with it.  And in the end you'll probably have more stress.  All that stress and lack of money is going to make you feel tired, and a whole lot less likely tto "do more to help" or "make a difference"

Stay where you are and save your money.  You can never have to much retirement money.  And if your bored/stir crazy use said money to help asuage that feeling.  Save the money.  Your kids might need bailing out one dayl; or not have the money to go to the school they want.  Or you nieces and nepthews if you dont have kids.  20% to 60% adds up aweful fast.  Plus once in the "system" its a lot of stress for not a lot of gain.

Stay and save.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:03:46 PM EDT
[#11]
LP,

That's precisely my problem with the idea. Start all over agin now, and run thais risk?

That's serious, man. WAY serious....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top