Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/3/2005 5:47:15 PM EDT
I was looking over a book called "generation kill" and in some of the pictures it will show Team leaders and LT's carrying m203's.

In most of the Army units i have seen the team leaders and LT's usually carry standard m4's, if you wanted to and you were a Lt. Could you opt to carry a 203.

Personally i wouldn't mind because i think the M4/203 is a great weapon. But i would amagine the job of the PL is to tell others where to fire...
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:51:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Typically, in a line unit (from my experience), leaders would not usually carry M203s.  When I was mortar platoon leader, the squad leaders did, but that is a different organization.

One good reasons leaders may carry M203s (you mentioned this), is that a leader can use it to mark targets or signal.

One good reason to not carry it is that leaders (squad and above) seldom have time to lay down some HE while controlling their units.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:54:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:55:46 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

One good reason to not carry it is that leaders (squad and above) seldom have time to lay down some HE while controlling their units.

yeah i was thinking the extra weight really wouldn't be that bad and a 40mm might come in handy?
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:56:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Marine Corps standard TO/E has team leaders with M203, allowing him to mark targets, provide Illum, fire pyro as part of the pyro plan and to place HE when necessary.  Outside of TBS Officers never get M203, up until recently most officer didn't get a rifle issued to them, but just a pistol.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:58:07 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
 Outside of TBS Officers never get M203, up until recently most officer didn't get a rifle issued to them, but just a pistol.  

What officers without rifles????
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:01:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Marine officer weren't  issued rifles in the FMF, outside of the infantry, for anything other than annual weapons qual.   Since the GWOT officers now get a pistol and a rifle (or carbine) when they deploy because of force protection issues.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top