Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/3/2005 5:34:36 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:38:52 PM EDT
[#1]
It's worth it Hiram.

Chicks will bend over [cough] to get a ride in that car.  

CMOS
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:42:25 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
It's worth it Hiram.

CMOS

Yeah, stupid superficial chicks will.  But wait, those are usually the best kind.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:43:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:45:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:46:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:48:48 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Chicks will bend over to get a ride in that car.

Which way?
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:34:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:45:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:47:21 PM EDT
[#9]
You can't drive a standard? Hand in your man card!
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:48:47 PM EDT
[#10]
obligatory shot of my new old Porsche:

Of course, I was basically told I was pussy b/c it wasn't a 911GT
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:55:40 PM EDT
[#11]
You better be packing an HK when your in that thing!!
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:45:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 10:19:05 PM EDT
[#13]
That is a beautiful car Gator. I've always wanted an early Targa S- maybe 1969 or 1972. The early porsches had such clean lines! Even the paint schemes were a wonder to behold. Only a vintage Porsche can look good with a pea green, orange, or pale yellow paint job. :)

Galland

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 10:39:32 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

admin.brightroom.com/events/docs/2005630134944.jpg

Nice.  67ish?  Looks like a short wheel base.  I have a 1970 911T, but it doesn't look anywhere near as good as yours... yet!  

And whoever told you it wasn't a '911GT'.... there is no '911GT'.  There's a GT2 or GT3, but they were never called a 911GT.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 10:42:16 PM EDT
[#15]
I feel weird because my newest car is an automatic.  I'm still waiting for the time I'm driving on autopilot and try to use the clutch and screech to a halt on the freeway.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 10:44:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Yeah....the only person with a stick shift who's willing to teach me is NOT willing to sacrifice his car.

Gee, I can't understand why...

Maybe because it's a freakin' STi?
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 10:47:14 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Yeah....the only person with a stick shift who's willing to teach me is NOT willing to sacrifice his car.

www.apt401.com/STIsm.jpg

You won't damage that Subie's clutch anymore than the hotheaded owner does...or did.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 10:48:38 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

www.apt401.com/STIsm.jpg

Those are fun.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 10:48:41 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.apt401.com/STIsm.jpg

You won't damage that Subie's clutch anymore than the hotheaded owner does...or did.

He's a damn good driver.  I am not.  Therefore, I will cause damage.

And hotheaded?  WTF?
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 10:58:59 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.apt401.com/STIsm.jpg

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 11:18:39 PM EDT
[#21]

... P.S., how's the SP1 runnin'?
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 11:30:11 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Just laugh at them, nice car
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 11:44:39 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

www.apt401.com/STIsm.jpg

I don't see why he's worried about it.  You might do him a favor and 'accidentally' sheer that shopping cart handle off the back of his car.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 11:51:28 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I don't see why he's worried about it.  You might do him a favor and 'accidentally' sheer that shopping cart handle off the back of his car.

I don't see how you can accidentally sheer off a functional rear spoiler that has like 19 anchor points.

At least it's functional and on an AWD car, not some FWD POS where it's for looks only.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 11:55:17 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't see how you can accidentally sheer off a functional rear spoiler that has like 19 anchor points.

At least it's functional and on an AWD car, not some FWD POS where it's for looks only.

Oh, I'm sorry.  Didn't realize that was a spoiler.  

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 11:55:39 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh, I'm sorry.  Didn't realize that was a spoiler.  

Ba-zing
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:29:20 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:44:29 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nice.  67ish?  Looks like a short wheel base.  I have a 1970 911T, but it doesn't look anywhere near as good as yours... yet!  

And whoever told you it wasn't a '911GT'.... there is no '911GT'.  There's a GT2 or GT3, but they were never called a 911GT.  

Here was exactly what was said:

there are two types of porsches and porshe owners.

1- the kind for speed freaks (enthusiasts) and mentally instable people that know that crashing their car into a tree is in the immediate future. These people would buy a beafed up 911, 911sc, 993 basically anything with lots of power and scary handling.

2- the kind that women and gay men like. they enjoy the styling as an art form, they dont car about going fast but do care about looking posh and forein. they would buy a '60s 911, 912, 914, Boxter or basically anything with a curvy body and small skinny wheels and no power

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:58:55 AM EDT
[#29]
Well I don't have a Porche but I do have a small German car with a 5 speed manual transmission and a 6 cyl engine. However, my engine & tranny is in the front.

I wanted a old 911 but I needed something with a real back seat (kids) and I couldn't find a 911 in my price range anyway, so I got a BMW 325is.

I also have an independant mechanic that I trust. That makes a big difference. Don't be afraid to try some of your own maintenance. It's a good way to learn about your car and it gives you some appreciation of how well made they are.

Be warned, you will spend some $$ keeping it going. In the last 2 months I've spent about $1600 on mine. But that was the first big expense I've had and I have had the car 27 months. So that's only $60 bucks a month. That's way cheaper than a car payment. (I paid $6800 cash for mine).

Have fun but don't let the back end loose traction on a curve. I understand that 911's can be a real handfull when they try to swap ends on you, so don't play to hard on a slick road.

Drive safe,

EMSflyer
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:58:55 AM EDT
[#30]
I recommend you visit Avis or whatever, rent a focus or otherwise slow-moving cheap car with a stickshift, get a buddy whose a master with the stick sit next to you for a little while, an then spend the rest of the weekend cruising around with it. Took me about 6 hours to get sufficiently proficient with it (ie, nothing fancy, but can get from point-A to point-B with a manual tran'ee).

Edit: BTW, I hear Porches come with the best clutches (the buggers have HUGE friction plates, really built for daily driving); but still be prepared to replace it in the not-too-distant future as you get used to clutch use and MAY eventually burn it out.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:05:40 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
It's worth it Hiram.

CMOS

I had my Dad's Porsche for a few weeks while I was in college.  It is amazining the girls that it attracted.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:56:20 AM EDT
[#32]
driven nothing but a manual trans. for the last 10yrs, only time it sucks is in bumper to bumper traffic, other than that I love my standard. Enjoy your Porsche, way fun to drive.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:18:44 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
It's worth it Hiram.

CMOS

You can't be serious. I guess it depends on where you live. Those cars are very common in these parts.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 10:04:48 AM EDT
[#34]
I learned to drive a stick my freshman year in college, on a '69 Z-28.  My buddy who tought me was none too pleased when he had to replace the throwout bearing a couple months later.  He got me back, though...we started a band the next year, and I lent him the '69 SS Chevelle I bought over the summer to run down to Conn. to pick up a new set of drums he bought.  I forgot to tell him the water temp guage was a little faulty.  I'd have thought he *might* pull over when he saw wisps of steam coming from under the hood, but no.  It wasn't until the engine died that he thought there *might* be a problem.  

Yeppers...pretty much needed a whole new engine after that.  Good thing his dad was one of the richest men in New England  
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 10:42:41 AM EDT
[#35]
Yeah, my dad must have been wincing when I was grinding the gears of his 1975 914-4 back in high school (1990).  The 914-4 is more VW than Porsche but hey it sez Porsche on the back.  

He still has it; 15 years later my sister and her fiance (now hubby) drove it to their wedding.  It's got around 12,000 original miles on the engine and (believe it or not) no visible rust.

Enjoy that Porsche, Hiram.  
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 10:48:47 AM EDT
[#36]
Obligatory old Porsche pic.  Here's mine.   Blatant ego photo posting

And on a recent trip to New Orleans, somewhere between Shreveport and NO,
with the cruise control set on "STUN"  It gets 19 MPG like this.....

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 10:59:19 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Obligatory old Porsche pic.  Here's mine.   Blatant ego photo posting

members.rennlist.com/jayc67/image021.jpg

And on a recent trip to New Orleans, somewhere between Shreveport and NO,
with the cruise control set on "STUN"  It gets 19 MPG like this.....

members.rennlist.com/jayc67/DSC00071.JPG

For some reason, I have always LOVED the 928 more than any other Porsche

There is nothing like knowing how to shift gears (up and down), brake, and apply power appropriately to truely turn driving into a passion.  "Proper" driving is leagues beyond a daily driver automatic.  I come from the mountains of NC where traditions like moonshining and racing still run strong.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top