Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/3/2005 4:14:37 PM EDT
Is any one going to watch the second episode?  I sent a long letter to S Bochko through my agent.  Neither Cmdr Bob A. the Navy rep in H-Wood or Kathy the Army rep in Hollywood is giving the series any support.  I sent a big list of recommendations from both of these folks to S B.  We'll see what happens.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:16:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Not me, I gave upafter the first one.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:16:37 PM EDT
[#2]
No.

coburn
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:16:46 PM EDT
[#3]
From what I have heard of the show it is VERY anti-war and anti-Bush.

So WTF would I want to watch it?

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:19:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, I'm going to watch it.  What else is there to do?
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:22:30 PM EDT
[#5]
I'll be sure to miss it, as I did the first one.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:27:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Dupe

And it sucks, too.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:30:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Im not going to
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:31:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes.

I won't give up until the 4th or 5th episode..IF it's not any good.  I'm tired of Law and Order reruns, and I liked the 1st episode enough that it beats anything else.

...besides...the Astros are playing in Arizona and it's a late game, so I can do both.

HH
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:34:00 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Sgat1r5

I also heard that if you eat pop rocks and drink coke you die

I saw the first episode and didn't see anything particularly anti-war (all war movies are anti-war, by definition) or even remotely anti-bush.  It just seemed to show a group of soldiers fighting insurgents.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:38:27 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm watching it.  I won't condemn it based on one shitty episode. A lot of TV shows don't really get good until after a few episodes. Besides, its TV so who really gives a shit?
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:38:28 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm watchin BHD now so I'll let it play at least one more episode.

If you kinda squint your eyes and hum while you watch it seems like an ok show.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:38:35 PM EDT
[#12]
I think they messed up by showing Black Hawk Down before that show.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:44:00 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I actually liked the show. Parts of it that were meant to be serious turned out to be hilarious (like the M203 shot to the running guy, and his legs kept going)

I don't see why some of you hate it so much

- Laughable attempt to make me give a squirt about any of the characters.  The noise about nicknames that goes on the first half of the pilot just made me want to puke it was so contrived.

- Totally transparent heart-string setup in the first 10 minutes.  (Gee, do you think the guy with the unborn child is going to get waxed in the first season?  Duh).

- Laughable plot so far.  (The newbies just happen to catch a firefight their first day in country... please).

- Cartoonish Sergeant "Scream" supposed to be amusing/shocking, comes off as a moron.

- The Lt. who is supposed to be the tactical moron with no "tactical flexibility" is the worst drawing of the outstanding Lt. Wolfe in Platoon I have ever seen.

- Clear anti-war/anti-U.S. theme tries to hide to keep share but does so poorly (the General making tactical calls based on PR concerns).

- Laughable and typecast Arab characters (who don't sweat during desert battle or gather dust during dust storms).

- An apparent 100% kill rate with the first hit on the battlefield (with no wounding).

- Mortars that drop once every 9 minutes during a firefight....  Need I continue?

- 3rd ID troops that shoot their M-16s from the hip while advancing at a walking pace, but only after the Arabs advanced at a walking pace in formation like the British in the revolutionary war or something.

It's totally predictable, tactically stupid, and despite having watched the entire first episode twice I can't recall a single character's name except "Bo."

It wanted to be the first season of Battlestar Galactica meets Iraq, but didn't bother to hire any writing talent.

Save your time.  Watch something useful.  QVC has Zirconium Bling hour on I think,
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:47:18 PM EDT
[#14]
I tried on the first one but couldn't finish it. I won't be watching tonite.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:53:08 PM EDT
[#15]
I don't let the television affect my politics. I watch the show for the entertainment value only, I'm mature enough not to allow entertainment get me riled up or have an influence on my political values. Their message falls of deaf ears.

I'll be watching the series, because I like military based TV shows. All of the good ones have had an underlying political message. WAR IS HELL! Saving Private Ryan, Blackhawk Down, The green Berets. They all have one thing in common, WE have the greatest Armed Forces that has ever existed, past and present.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:59:10 PM EDT
[#16]
You would have to pay me to watch it a second time.

Let’s see what my problems were:

1. The Black dude with racial problems.  Isn’t Racial Awareness Program (RAP) 2 in around?  Even if they renamed the thing.
2. The Army is still about Team ship.  I didn’t see much of it.
3. Smoking refers.  That’s a nice and quick way to get kicked out.
4. Nicknames.  Really?  Since when?
5. Backup, backup, backup!  Only a squad guarding the mosque?  And a reduced squad at that?  Where is everybody else?  That squad should have more support!  It should have at least looked like there were others besides them.
6. Just how long does a Basic Load of ammo last?  At the rate they were shooting I’d expect that they would run out of ammo in less than 30 minutes.  Make that 10 minutes at the most.
7. Spread out!  Get your intervals!  No less than 5 yards in between each soldier!  It would be one thing when clearing out a room in a building.  But out in the open?  The Bad Guys did it better.  They (the Bad Guys) attacked like idiots, but they were spread out properly.
8. Mrs. B would have been sent to the rear with that head would.  OK, she was only knocked unconscious, but she still would have been evacuated.  She could be sent back later.

I wonder what Rusted Ace will have to say about the show.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:01:17 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I actually liked the show. Parts of it that were meant to be serious turned out to be hilarious (like the M203 shot to the running guy, and his legs kept going)

It's totally predictable, tactically stupid, and despite having watched the entire first episode twice I can't recall a single character's name except "Bo."

You hated it so much you watched it twice?
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:07:11 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You hated it so much you watched it twice?

I wanted to see if that 3rd ID soldier was REALLY shooting from the hip.

I wanted to see if the Arab leader was REALLY not sweating or dusty...
etc. etc.

Saw so many things I couldn't believe it, had to go back.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:22:42 PM EDT
[#19]
I like guns. The show shows a lot of guns being shot.

I'll watch it.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:26:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Nope, 1st episode only pissed me off...  It was craptastic...

EPOCH
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:50:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Veteran here:

I kinda like it.

Plenty of criticisms (if you look for them), but not too bad overall.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:56:39 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Veteran here:

I kinda like it.

Plenty of criticisms (if you look for them), but not too bad overall.

+1

Combat is a clusterfuck. They showed that very well.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:59:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Wow.  I did not see the first one, but that was powerful.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:01:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Better than the first one.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:02:21 PM EDT
[#25]
I liked it tonight.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:02:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Tonights 2nd episode was better then the 1st one
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:04:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Did anyone else just catch the MEU(SOC) pistol at the very end of next weeks previews?

Coulda sworn I saw a 1911 with forward serations...
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:04:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Tonight's episode was nothing like the first. No bullshit nicknames and lame female-soldier plot lines. Very sad they killed the little girl, but the enemy is ruthless. Completely different screenwriter on this one.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:04:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Looks promising now, maybe it will get better as it goes along....

Also looks like "Bull" is gonna be on next week.......doin' some righteous terrorist torturing
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:04:58 PM EDT
[#30]
I missed it the first time so I'm gonna watch it.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:05:12 PM EDT
[#31]
I have to agree, this episode was much better.  Fewer stereotypes and cliches.  This thing sorta reminds me of Combat, except in Iraq, you know?
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:07:08 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm watching from now on...tonight sold me.

HH
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:07:12 PM EDT
[#33]

Much better than the first one...... LOTS of bodies.

Jake
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:07:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Just finished watching the second one.  I thought it was good.  Much better than the first.  Its a TV show.  I don't see any slant one way or another politically.  It does show Dim as somewhat of a bleeding heart in the beginning but by the end of this episode he isn''t so much.  He is all distraught because they killed a old man and his grand daughter but then he about pops a haji because they were just a decoy to help get him through the road block.

The movie isn't anti war from what I see.  It just shows, as far as a hollywood guy knows, how it is out there.  Some of you my get your panties in a bunch seeing a ward full of amputies but well there are guys who lost limbs.

You guys remind me of the people who didn't want to show dead americans on film in early WWII because it was anti-war and not good for the cause.  Pff.  Its a show, I like Sgt Screams and it has guns.

--
It appears like these guys are part of an ad hoc fire/security team in a support or supply platoon of a battalion.  Arn't those platoons commanded buy 1Lt or Captains anyway.  And they usually only drive trucks-hence the females.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:13:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:15:05 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Episode #2 was better than #1

+1

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:20:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Ummm...all I remember is a bunch of commercials...I think I saw some hajis get wasted in between though. And there WAS some liberal slapstick thrown in.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:21:40 PM EDT
[#38]
to me it made no sense for the SAW guy to go check out the car. set it on its bipod on the sandbags and have soemone with a lighter more manueverable gun (plain M4 with no M203) go check out the car
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:24:02 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Tonights 2nd episode was better then the 1st one

True, but that's not saying much
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:31:06 PM EDT
[#40]
why are they NOT turning on their OTALs when the cars are coming?  That OUGHT to provide much more than a warning shot, right?  

I read something about olympic rollmarks on the other thread.  I saw them myself on more than one occasion.

questions-

1.) why aren't they using their OTALs for illumination in last week's NVG "recon" or in this evening's roadblock?
2.) would a brand new set of guys "over there" have the newer ribbed stocks?  
3.) is it normal to quite often, as dim does, to sling your rifle over your shoulder using the sling as a 2 point and not a 3 point?
4.) where the F*$@ else have I seen the sergeant before?  
5.) where have I seen Smoke before? how about Dim, doublewide, Nassiri or anyone else?
6.) do you think the actor playing dim should get an award for that god awful yell he let out when he saw the girl wasn't as alive as he thought she was?  out of all of the guys he's with, he's seen the most shit, that's for sure...
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:33:18 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Sgat1r5

Maybe you shouldn't be so gullible, eh?
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:36:26 PM EDT
[#42]
So when it repeats this weekend, should I watch it or not?
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:36:34 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Dupe

And it sucks, too.

hey dupe nazi why do you still continue to fucking post her eif its a fucking dupe??
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:37:34 PM EDT
[#44]
this one was better, but i mean when the guys started fighting in the middle of the road in a combat zone i thought that was  really rough. Next weeks looks cool.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:42:38 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
So when it repeats this weekend, should I watch it or not?

Affirmative
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:47:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Watch it.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:56:59 PM EDT
[#47]
I'm getting pretty tired of hearing G*dd*mn seven million times.

They can't say f*ck, so they substitute GD, to the point it becomes ridiculous.

Not wasting any more time with that silly garbage.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:01:28 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Dupe

And it sucks, too.

hey dupe nazi why do you still continue to fucking post her eif its a fucking dupe??

+1--no doubt-----

this DUPE!!!! shit get's old.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:08:11 PM EDT
[#49]
I was wondering why nobody follows orders...
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:10:09 PM EDT
[#50]
3 Yea
1 Nay

OK, unless I hear any other derogatory comments about the show, come Saturday, Sunday, or whichever day the repeat comes along, I'll tape it.  First chance I get I’ll watch it.  Of course if I can’t stand it I won’t bother to tape or watch it ever again.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top