Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2005 4:10:56 PM EDT
Before the "mason are a cult" crowd beats this one up, I was wondering just what is meant by a "free" mason and an "accepted" mason.

What exactly is free?
Who is doing the accepting? And what do they accept?

Anyone care to enlighten me?
Thanks
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:49:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow...no one wants to talk about the Masonic Temple!
A first around here.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:53:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Paging EricTheHun!!!!
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:53:56 PM EDT
[#3]
A Mason is Ancient, Free, and Accepted.  

Look those 3 words up, it's not difficult to figure out.

Ancient.  Very old, as in this is not a new trendy golf club

Free, self explanatory. If you are a slave you can't be free right?  It's not racist, cause
that bunch will be in here next.  It requires freedom.  Other countries than the US have Masons
so I hate when people try to make this into some American Slavery thing.    Educate yourself.

Accepted.  If you are one, you are accepted by others.Wanna be one?  Ask one.

That wasn't too hard was it?

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:56:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Not all Freemasons in the United States are "ancient" - only those whose Grand Lodge is A.F.&A.M. affiliated are.  The other U.S. Lodges are F.&A.M., though one can hardly tell a difference nowadays.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:58:20 PM EDT
[#5]
mama says masonry is the devil

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:58:38 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Free, self explanatory. If you are a slave you can't be free right?  It's not racist, cause
that bunch will be in here next.  It requires freedom.  Other countries than the US have Masons
so I hate when people try to make this into some American Slavery thing.    Educate yourself.

That pretty much sums it up!
So when they say F&AM, you are either both or neither. The way I was reading it, I was thinking one or the other. Your explanation makes sense. I didnt know about the ancient part.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:09:22 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That pretty much sums it up!
So when they say F&AM, you are either both or neither. The way I was reading it, I was thinking one or the other. Your explanation makes sense. I didnt know about the ancient part.

The "original" Grand Lodges are, some newer ones are not.  That's the AF&AM. Some leave off the Ancient.

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:48:20 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Actually, it is hard, and your post doesn't make a damn bit of sense.  Are all of these
organizations affiliated or not? Do they believe in the same thing? Can one be all three? Do they
have different membership requirements? You say a mason is ancient, free, and accepted, yet you also appear to be speaking of three different groups, thus differentiating them.  Frankly, you've managed to partially define three words, but they don't seem to correspond with any information about masonic organizations.  

And the guy was trying to educate himself, that's why he asked.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:50:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:07:40 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, it is hard, and your post doesn't make a damn bit of sense.  Are all of these
organizations affiliated or not? Do they believe in the same thing? Can one be all three? Do they
have different membership requirements? You say a mason is ancient, free, and accepted, yet you also appear to be speaking of three different groups, thus differentiating them.  Frankly, you've managed to partially define three words, but they don't seem to correspond with any information about masonic organizations.  

And the guy was trying to educate himself, that's why he asked.

it's one organization, that's what's not hard about it.

The sign on the door says AF&AM or F&AM.  That's Ancient, Free,and Accepted Masons.
They are not different organizations, it is 3 words describing a single organization.

So sorry you don't get it.  The most important thing I posted is the one you ignored.

To understand what is is to be one, ask one.  You will get no better answer than that, but you
won't get the full explanation in a forum like this.  Find one and ask in person, it's not
complicated, you only want to make it out to be.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:25:22 PM EDT
[#11]
"Outstanding Response and a simple answer to one has not traveled much".
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:27:54 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
"Outstanding Response and a simple answer to one has not traveled much".

+1
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:36:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Only the F&AM ones are allowed to have a goat chained to the sink at home.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:39:24 PM EDT
[#14]
We could  tell you the differences, but then we'd have to sacrifice you at the altar.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:43:08 PM EDT
[#15]
[churchlady]It's all from SATAN![/churchlady]
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:50:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Hey, somebody has to keep the metric system out of the US
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:52:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Masonic lodges in Texas use the "Ancient Free & Accepted" designation, some other States (PA for one that I know of) use only "Free & Accepted".  I don't know the reason for the difference but the Grand Lodges of each State recognize the regular lodges of the other.  It's worth noting that some Masonic organizations are considered non-affiliated by regular Masonry and thus are not accepted by the rest of us.

The Free & Accepted term is often attributed to associations of traveling artisans in the middle ages who were known as Free and Accepted Masons, who erected religious edifaces and introduced the Gothic style of architecture.  Whether this is accurate or not is the subject of some debate.

As TexasSIG states, a Mason is not either Free or Accepted, he is both.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:00:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top