Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2005 1:43:29 PM EDT
The Blackwater videos got me thinking, if you were going to Iraq to film combat footage while imbedded with a group of contractors or US Military, what video recorder would you want to take?

Would obviously need to be easy to carry and manuver with, but you want great clarity and an effective zoom function allowing you to get a good sight on sniper, tank, distant air strikes, and other far off targets.

Would a high end digital camera and a compatable high power spotting scope serve the function?

What say you Hive Mind?
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 1:45:29 PM EDT
[#1]
The one with the best and longest warranty available.

Then go from there.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 1:47:53 PM EDT
[#2]
If you are serious, you will want to take more than one.  

Folks that make their living videoing in conditions like that have multiple cameras.
You WILL break one at some point and that's not a good place to try to order
a spare.

You want cheap and simple, and several of them.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 1:48:37 PM EDT
[#3]
all purpose, inexpensive helmet & regular cam...no tapes to fail, but uses memory cards

Samsung SC-X105L

or for an HD handheld, high rez

a Sony HDR-HC1

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 1:49:28 PM EDT
[#4]
tag
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 1:50:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, bottom line, the zoom really doesn't matter that much.  If you have any experience with vidcams, you know that once you get out beyond a certain zoom, your video looks like Blair Witch.

That said, any VHS-C format camera would be good.  Hell, take a couple.  The tapes are easy to carry and, the camera is pretty compact.  You'd want on with a fold out screen so you don't have to stick your head up while filming.

Tactical video is pretty much my life.  If I'm not filming it, I'm reviewing it.  Granted, it ain't combat, but, you can see when the guys all of a sudden start to get slamming sphincter syndrome.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:55:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the info guys. Been wanting one of those Samsung helm cams for a while for trail riding.

I think I got a slight case of "slamming sphincter syndrome" when I looked up the price of the Sony though!

Looks like an awesome camera though.

So small, reliable, and easy to replace is better than the higher end super crisp video image models?

What do you carry when in field GoonBoss? Specific brand you prefer for ease of use, reliabilty, durability...?

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:16:44 PM EDT
[#7]
none. The hell that I would unleash I would not want anything around that could convict me of any crimes
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:22:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Get something with high optical zoom and a 1 meg CCD.

That Samsung cam above sucks donkey balls. It wouldnt last five minutes.

Sony, Sony, Sony.

I'd go with the HC32 or 42 and mount it on the side of my helmet if I was shooter. Handheld if I was reporter and I'd bring 4 of them with lots of batteries and tape. Some with .5 wide angle and some with 2x telephoto lenses.

The HC1 is a nice camera but too much cash for a camera I expect to get to get trashed.

ETA: You might as well draw pictures if you take a VHS-C camera. The vid quality is crap. It's not even as good as Hi8 and that technology went out 5 yrs ago.
MiniDV is the only way to go.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top