Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/3/2005 1:30:33 PM EDT
Here is the link..pdf file
pretty cool file

Two quicK questions...
1. Will the CVN-21 have a smaller strike aircraft wing than the current Nimitz class? Or is this being made up with UCAVS?
2. I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere but I was wondering since the Virginia class subs are controlled by "fly by wire" or "sail by wire" digital tech, will the CVN 21 be getting something similar?
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:33:56 AM EDT
[#1]
BTT
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 8:25:21 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Here is the link..pdf file
pretty cool file

Two quicK questions...
1. Will the CVN-21 have a smaller strike aircraft wing than the current Nimitz class? Or is this being made up with UCAVS?
2. I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere but I was wondering since the Virginia class subs are controlled by "fly by wire" or "sail by wire" digital tech, will the CVN 21 be getting something similar?

hey cole here is some links that might help you out looks like from the second link it will have
Air Wing:  F-35C Joint Strike Fighter, F-18E/F Super Hornet, E-2C Hawkeye, EA-18G "Prowler" as the plane not sure how many

www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ship/cvx.htm
www.nwc.navy.mil/usnhdb/CVN21.htm

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 12:40:56 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

hey cole here is some links that might help you out looks like from the second link it will have
Air Wing:  F-35C Joint Strike Fighter, F-18E/F Super Hornet, E-2C Hawkeye, EA-18G "Prowler" as the plane not sure how many

www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ship/cvx.htm
www.nwc.navy.mil/usnhdb/CVN21.htm

Thanks for the links. The info from the pdf file I listed indicates that the CVN-21 would have 44 strike planes(combo of F-18 super Hornets and F-35's) and 4 to 12 JUCAS unmanned attack planes. I know this is all very precursory but the USS Reagan currently has 56 strike aircraft, and the CVN is supposed to have a fair amount more room on the flight deck, so I kind of figured that it would have a bigger carrier wing of planes. Perhaps the F-18 super bugs and the F-35 are a lot more efficent than some of the current craft and therefore no need for more planes...therefore the extra space on the flight deck just makes things more efficent and a better work environment? It willbe intersting to see how the unmanned stuff interacts with the manned planes. I recently listed a study from Virginia tech which looked at a carrier strcitly for unmanned planes, it was based on the LPD-17 class called CUVX. It would almost be like a cylon basestar.LOL!
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:18:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Consider this: Since the Navy has started to build the Nimitz class, it has retired the KA-6D, the A-6, the A-7, the RA-5, the S-3A, the ES-3B, and the F-14. Nimitz class carriers used to deploy with 80+ aircraft onboard. Now, with the S-3 going away, it's barely over 60. Example, from my last deployment:

2 x F-14B squadrons at 12 planes each
2 x F-18C squadrons at 12 planes each
1 x EA-6B squadron at 4 planes
1 x E-2C squadron at 4 planes
1 x S-3A squadron at 8 planes
1 x SH-60 squadron at 8 helos

This is 72 airframes. Take away the S-3 and you have 66 airframes.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:36:26 PM EDT
[#5]
According to the file I listed, CVN 21 carriers wings broke down like this....
44 Strike(F-18/F35's)
4-12 JUCAS unmanned combat vehicles
5 E-18G Growlers
5 E2D Hawkeyes
14 Helicopters(MH-60RS)[no mention of V-22 osprey]
2 Carrier Onboard delivery aircraft.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:41:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't forget that one of the Hornet squadrons is a Marine squadron, so it's actually 12 less Navy aircraft.

You also forgot the following aircraft:

Active:
2 X C-2

Retired:
F-4
A-4
A-3
S-2
H-3
F-8
US-3B

Quoted:
Consider this: Since the Navy has started to build the Nimitz class, it has retired the KA-6D, the A-6, the A-7, the RA-5, the S-3A, the ES-3B, and the F-14. Nimitz class carriers used to deploy with 80+ aircraft onboard. Now, with the S-3 going away, it's barely over 60. Example, from my last deployment:

2 x F-14B squadrons at 12 planes each
2 x F-18C squadrons at 12 planes each
1 x EA-6B squadron at 4 planes
1 x E-2C squadron at 4 planes
1 x S-3A squadron at 8 planes
1 x SH-60 squadron at 8 helos

This is 72 airframes. Take away the S-3 and you have 66 airframes.

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 8:20:31 PM EDT
[#7]
How many aircraft could a Super Carrier carry in a over loaded condition and still maintain flight ops.  Obviously you could pack the hangar and flight deck so there isn't room to walk, but in theory how many more aircraft could you operate.

I've always wondered that.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:06:50 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
How many aircraft could a Super Carrier carry in a over loaded condition and still maintain flight ops.  Obviously you could pack the hangar and flight deck so there isn't room to walk, but in theory how many more aircraft could you operate.

I've always wondered that.

Depends on the type of aircraft and how narrow a path on the angled deck you want to take a chance with.

Carriers have always had a "fly by wire" back-up system.  Actually a few.  the 1MC, 2JV(?), soundpowered and dial phones to the BM or QM to turn the knobs or wheels in after steering.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top