Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/3/2005 12:21:45 PM EDT
latimes.com

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-080305dog_lat,0,2328108.story?coll=la-home-headlines
Rottweiler Fatally Mauls Toddler in Glendale
By John Spano
Times Staff Writer

10:39 AM PDT, August 3, 2005

In an attack termed "horrific," a Rottweiler dog ripped a toddler out of her mother's arms outside a Glendale house and fatally mauled the child, authorities said today.

The 28-year-old mother suffered extensive bites as she fought the 150-pound dog for her daughter, identified as Cassandra Garcia. She and the child eventually escaped to a car, where authorities were notified.

"The child was mauled over her entire body. She suffered severe facial and head injuries," said Glendale Police Sgt. Tom Lorenz. "The mother suffered bites on the arm and upper body."

The mother was holding the 18-month-old child while she watered the lawn at her parents' Glendale home when the dog, a family pet, attacked without warning.

"At this time, we have determined the dog has no history of any attacks or other violent acts," Lorenz said.

"I can tell you that in my 21 years at Glendale Police, we've had our share of dog attacks and dog bites, but we've never seen anything like this," Lorenz said. The officers responding "were utterly shocked and horrified. It was one of the worst things they've ever seen."

The Los Angeles County coroner's office said the child was pronounced dead at 7:46 p.m. Tuesday at Verdugo Hills Hospital.

An autopsy is pending. "We're investigating the death," said Brenda Shafer, a coroner's investigator.

Glendale police Sgt. Louis Haloulakos said the dog dragged the child down the driveway of the home in the 2300 block of Via Saldivar.

Pasadena Animal Control is holding the dog, authorities said. It will be quarantined for a minimum of five days.

Copyright 2005 Los Angeles Times

partners: KTLA   Hoy
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:23:40 PM EDT
[#1]
why are only dog maulings so popular on ARFCOM???

I am concerned about the lack of threads about shark attacks and killer bee's

EPOCH

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:26:54 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

EPOCH

Dog maulings and taserings are the fiber of ARFCOM's soul
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:27:35 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

EPOCH

http://www.local6.com/news/4803716/detail.html
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:32:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Need more Killer Bee action!  Or at least maybe blend the two topics.

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:43:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Three shark attacks this year I'm familiar with,  all were  posted on Arfcom.   Three dog attacks in my city this WEEK, and it's not posted yet.

Who's going to post a picture of a cuddly rottie next to an infant first?
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:45:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:49:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Dead dog, hopefully.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:49:14 PM EDT
[#8]
All dogs, every single one, is "X" generations away from the wolf.

ALL are capable of attacking humans.  Yes, even THAT dog, the one that tolerates your kid hanging on it's ears, sticking it with pencils, etc.

A fair amount of dog brain is devoted to instinct, and it's not going away.

Some dogs are WAY "better" equipped to inflict serious injury, even with a single bite.

I'm still not sure why, generally, cocker spaniels, which bite at a very high frequesncy, "bite" rather than maul, which is a longer proces.

Similarly, I don't know why Rotts, (of which I have owned 3) pits, dobies, etc, MAUL, ie a continuous attack stopped by death or gunfire.

But anyone who trusts a dog to not ever bite is, in my opinion, taking risks that need not be taken.    
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 1:03:42 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Who's going to post a picture of a cuddly rottie next to an infant first?

Sorry, no infant, at least none that I know about

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 1:09:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Sad.

That's a very nice area. Definitely not a crack house protected by guard dogs.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 2:02:28 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Originally posted by Epoch96
-------------------------------------------------------------

It's because there are some people on ARFcom who apparently are terrified of large dogs, or hate dogs in general, and think that posting stuff like this on a continual basis will get dogs banned.

It's sort of like the  ARFcom version of the Sarah Brady anti-gun campaign, except with dogs.

Yeah dogs are just like guns.  You know, made of steel and plastic and wood, inanimate, incapable of independent action...
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 2:07:08 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

EPOCH

Fuck bee's, I would punch every bee in the FACE!
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 2:34:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 2:37:26 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Originally posted by Epoch96
-------------------------------------------------------------

It's because there are some people on ARFcom who apparently are terrified of large dogs, or hate dogs in general, and think that posting stuff like this on a continual basis will get dogs banned.

It's sort of like the  ARFcom version of the Sarah Brady anti-gun campaign, except with dogs.

Yeah dogs are just like guns.  You know, made of steel and plastic and wood, inanimate, incapable of independent action...

True, but the propaganda campaign used to demonize dogs is identical in almost every way to those against SUV's, guns, and many other things certain people want banned.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 2:38:57 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

EPOCH

Fuck bee's, I would punch every bee in the FACE!

Can ANY bee take a full power shot from me??

HUH>?!?!?!?!
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:22:26 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Originally posted by Lennster
Yeah dogs are just like guns. You know, made of steel and plastic and wood, inanimate, incapable of independent action
---------------------------------------------------

Okay, so are you going to try to deny that the reason behind all these postings of random dog bites from all over the country, by certain ARFcom members, is not trying to focus on these things in an attempt to bring out an emotional response to ban certain dog breeds? Exactly like the Democrats do with gun violence crimes?

C'mon, you know very well what this is all about.

On the other thread about this, there is a list of all dog breeds with any significant bite fatality statistics, over a 20 year period.
All of them together, for the whole country, over 20 years time, is less than 200 total.

How many dogs have lived in this country in the last 20 years?
A few million? Maybe even a hundred million? Maybe several hundred million?
Considering the average large dog's life is 10 years, theres several generations over 20 years of time.
So, that makes it what, maybe 0.000002% involved in these fatalities?

Sorry, when it happens, it is a tragedy, but hardly a national menace.

Dogs are not like guns.  Period.  You can dance all day long but you can't change reality.

People are going to demonize anything and everything they want to.  

Looking at the fatal dog statistics ... if you remove 2 breeds, there would be almost no fatalities.  Can you guess which 2?  They sure ain't little lap dogs...

Pit Bulls and Rotties have chewed through screen doors and charged owners and other pets and killed plenty of both.  When was the last time you read about a toy poodle mauling a child to death???
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:49:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top