Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/3/2005 11:43:41 AM EDT
I was married for 16 years and really don't think I want to get married again. I currently have a wonderful girlfriend that I've been dating for 3.5 years, and she's starting to put pressure on me to marry her. I really don't think I could find a better girl. She's everything I could want in a women. However, I still find that I need a couple of days a week to myself to remain happy. She gives me this free time reluctantly and doesn't complain too much about it.

If we did get married, I know that being couped up in the same house with someone 7 days a week would likely stress me out. I just don't think I can be married to anyone. Yet I know if I don't marry her, I'll likely lose her soon.

What should I do?
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 11:44:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes its good when the right people are involved. I wouldn't trade it for anything.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 11:45:53 AM EDT
[#2]
where's the poll?
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 11:45:59 AM EDT
[#3]
For you no, you seem to know who you are.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 11:47:02 AM EDT
[#4]
My marriage is one of the best things that ever happened to me.  Mrs. Brohawk & I have been together over 17 years and it just keeps getting better.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 11:47:49 AM EDT
[#5]
In a theological discussion, the topic of Hell was brought up along with your immortal soul.  I responded "Hell does exist, witness marriage."

Don't do it.

- Gazukull
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 11:50:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Marriage is a good thing.

Family structure and just plain adding structure to your life is a good thing.

Maybe I got lucky but I thank God for showing me the way to my wife.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 11:52:04 AM EDT
[#7]
I never knew what great sex was until I got married.

Now of course it's too damn late
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 11:53:18 AM EDT
[#8]
We all need time alone married or not.

Man is not ment to be alone.

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 11:53:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Its a good thing if you want it to be, and your prepared, and BOTH people are into it.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 11:53:47 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Yes its good when the right people are involved. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

That's about all that needs to be said.  +1 on these comments.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 11:57:00 AM EDT
[#11]
im single so i have no comment  
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 11:58:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Who voted that they pimped their wife out for ammo????
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 11:59:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Good thing.
I have a great marriage of 26 years.

Like so many other things, people have made a mess of the institution.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:06:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Married for three, but we have been together for 10 years.

No complaints. My wife and I enjoy many of the same things, but have enough seperate hobbies we can spend time alone when we want to. When I go shooting she likes to scrapbook.

Plus, she's a fine woman is very bright and can mock people to their face while they think she is just "being cute".

Av.

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:09:20 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Yet I know if I don't marry her, I'll likely lose her soon.

marriage can be a really good thing or a really bad thing.

if the above is true, i would suggest losing her.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:16:10 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
We all need time alone married or not.

Man is not ment to be alone.

Sgatr15

Spoken like a sage.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:16:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Would I like to get married? Yes.

Would I like to find a good wife? Yes.

Am I unattractive or unwanted? Depends on POV, but I'd say no, I have a good personality,make everyone laugh, successful, will have a good future, in good shape.

Will I be able to find a good wife? I'm doubtful.

...And why is that? Most of the females around here fall into many groups, majority are in the unwanted group. Between gross piercings, tattoos, slut clothing, slutty attitudes, bad vices, and bad habits,  this generation of us clean-cuts and respectables may not get married. I'm not going to date and marry some one who had the whore-brands on her back, drinks and smokes, doesn't take care of herself, and talks as if she is from the ghetto. They worship and follow in the footsteps of what they see in the 'entertainment' world. If I want Britney Spears, I'll get her CD or watch her shack her ass on TV, I don't want to marry one.

I have a lot more self-worth and will not put up with the trash.

Hell, I had a date last night with this stank who smoked and tried hiding her ancle tattoo. Long story short:The date lasted only an hour, and ME ending it.

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:17:45 PM EDT
[#18]
I recently heard people are either "givers" or  "takers".  If one or both members of a couple are "takers", trouble in the relationship can be expected.  If both are "givers", chances are greatly improved for a happy long term relationship.  If either of you are "takers", then  change will probably need to occur for success in a relationship together.   If you do not want to enter into a long term relationship, I suggest you don't get married.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:20:15 PM EDT
[#19]
marriage is like a pair of shoes.  ideally it is better to wear shoes but if the shoes don't fit it is better to go barefoot...
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:21:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Marriage is the greatest thing you can do as long as she/he is the right one. I couldn't imagine my life without her.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:30:16 PM EDT
[#21]
I just had my Eighth Anniversary a week ago. I wouldn't trade my wife, or the happiness she brings me, for anything.

I was very lucky though, we dated for a while and both of us just knew that getting married was the right thing to do.

Don't let your previous situation ruin the way you look at this one.

If you are feeling pressure about getting married when you aren't ready to then TELL HER!

You might be trying to solve a problem by yourself that requires both of your brains to fix..

Just my .02,  
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:31:42 PM EDT
[#22]
But... but... what about me?!
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:35:53 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
-snip-

What should I do?

You should tell her you will never marry again so she can move on and find someone else.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:37:31 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
-snip-

What should I do?

You should tell her you will never marry again so she can move on and find someone else.

I have told her a dozen times that I don't think I ever want to be married.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:41:23 PM EDT
[#25]
It's a bigger gamble than anything in Vegas.

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:46:36 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Would I like to get married? Yes.

Would I like to find a good wife? Yes.

Am I unattractive or unwanted? Depends on POV, but I'd say no, I have a good personality,make everyone laugh, successful, will have a good future, in good shape.

Will I be able to find a good wife? I'm doubtful.

...And why is that? Most of the females around here fall into many groups, majority are in the unwanted group. Between gross piercings, tattoos, slut clothing, slutty attitudes, bad vices, and bad habits,  this generation of us clean-cuts and respectables may not get married. I'm not going to date and marry some one who had the whore-brands on her back, drinks and smokes, doesn't take care of herself, and talks as if she is from the ghetto. They worship and follow in the footsteps of what they see in the 'entertainment' world. If I want Britney Spears, I'll get her CD or watch her shack her ass on TV, I don't want to marry one.

I have a lot more self-worth and will not put up with the trash.

Hell, I had a date last night with this stank who smoked and tried hiding her ancle tattoo. Long story short:The date lasted only an hour, and ME ending it.

Keep looking, they're out there.
But I hear what you are saying. I wouldn't give you a nickel for 90-95% of women, umm American women(can't speak to others), most are pure trash. Of course an awful lot of men are pretty much losers these days so I guess most people are getting what they deserve, and from the looks of the divorce stats and kids these days, that is pretty much a sure thing.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:46:52 PM EDT
[#27]
just got married, im biased, im still on the honeymoon phase.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:48:33 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
My marriage is one of the best things that ever happened to me.  Mrs. Brohawk & I have been together over 17 years and it just keeps getting better.

Same here. In two months, Mrs. Goblin and I will have been married for seven years.

She really is a fine catch. Any one of you guys would love to have her as your wife...but she's mine.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:51:42 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm working on year 16. Please note: Marriage is work. Both have to be comitted to the marriage for it to work. I am happily married and wouldn't want it any other way.

However, every single man should read this site: www.nomarriage.com
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 2:30:06 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
-snip-

What should I do?

I have told her a dozen times that I don't think I ever want to be married.

Then you have done the right and honorable thing. Now it's up to her... Stick around when she knows you aren't going to marry, or move on. Looks like she wants to stick around for now. But a good woman won't wait forever.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 2:33:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Married for 12+ years now. No complaints or regrets. Keeps getting better.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 2:38:49 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

.........yup that says it pretty well!
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 3:15:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Wanna hear something fucked up ?

My Ex wife is the best woman I've met so far ,
and I don't want her back  
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 3:23:48 PM EDT
[#34]
There is nothing wrong with simply cohabitating. For me marriage sucks.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 3:24:00 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Must be you then.

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 3:28:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Marriage is a great institution...................

If you like being institutionalized.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 3:30:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Get her to sign an ironclad pre-nup.

Then, when you turn and see her walking down the aisle, looking radiant & beautiful, smile, and deftly pull out the prenup and RIP IT INTO A BILLION BILLION PIECES AND SPRINT OUT OF THE CHAPEL AIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Years later, you will chuckle softly and pat yourself on the back for doing a perfect 10 second 100 meter dash for sanity.

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 3:32:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 3:35:52 PM EDT
[#39]
I have seen people, over and over, have a bad marriage, nasty divorce, and then do it all again.  And again.  And then......again.

Why do you keep hitting your head on the brick wall?  Because it feels so good when I stop.

I have been married for 14 years.  It isn't for everybody.  

I would have said get a prenup and go for it, but those don't seem to be worth shit anymore.....
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 3:36:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Love my marriage. Couldn't ask for much more.

I think that one of the things people need to realize, when getting into a marriage, is that no matter how good it is we all need some alone time.

My wife let's me have space, and I let her have her's.

It's funny, even in the same house, it's possible to do so.......

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 3:36:52 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Must be you then.

Sgatr15

I knew when I typed it that some would never be able
to understand
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:06:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:14:16 PM EDT
[#43]
I think they had something back with that whole "multiple wife" thing.

Of course if you were one of these nancy boys who lets his wife run all over him your ass would be grass.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:21:40 PM EDT
[#44]
My wife is the best part of me.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:33:05 PM EDT
[#45]
We have been married for 3 months.  Everything is good so far.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:42:00 PM EDT
[#46]
If you asked me 2 -3 years ago. I would have said that Marriage is Hell.

But nowadays it is heaven. I guess we got over the "hump".

Marriages are not given, they are made. And they only work when two people are working at it.
It only takes one person to make a marriage go sour.

I learned that it is always best to do and/or say something everyday to let the wife know that you love her. (It's like putting Money in the Bank, pretty soon, it starts to pay back with interest).

Also my wife and I both learned not to take anger too seriously. And to talk about our Marriage relationship and what is bothering us on an almost daily basis.

It's too easy to get caught up in life, work and kids and neglect your marriage relationship.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top