Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2005 8:53:02 AM EDT
SAN FRANCISCO (August 3, 2005) - The U.S. 9th Circuit Court of Appeals here is expected to hear arguments early next week as Wal-Mart Stores seeks to reverse a District Court ruling earlier this year that certified a gender-discrimination suit against the company as a class action. Regardless of the appeals court's ruling, local reports said the matter is likely to end up in the U.S. Supreme Court. Wal-Mart has said in written arguments previously submitted that a class action of such scope — potentailly affecting 1.5 million female employees, which would be the largest class-action suit ever — would be unmanageable, illegal and unfair to the retailer. If class certification is ultimately denied, the case could be broken into several smaller suits, which would give Wal-Mart more potential leverage in negotiating settlements, observers said.

Go for it ladies!
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:58:00 AM EDT
[#1]
WalMart will lose this one...screw 'em.

HH
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:03:35 AM EDT
[#2]
What the hell did Wally World "allegedly" do?

And what company would do something to open themselves up to such litigation.  They have an ARMY of lawyers to protect against this and to put policies in place for it not to happen and for existing policy to be check for fault.

I smell BS lawsuit.  Lawyers looking for money after bleeding Big Tobacco dry.  I wonder who the lawyers are behind it?
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:05:03 AM EDT
[#3]
I hate Walmart bashers. I need my stock to go up, not down.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top