Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/2/2005 8:48:00 PM EDT
I hadnt rented "Stand by Me" in over 10-years. I finished watching it an hour ago and got all teary eyed. Its a real sad ending and I've included the final script below.

Whats your saddest movie ending?

************** Stand by Me ***********

(final scene)

Teddy:

See ya in Junior High.

Vern:

<<As Vern walks away he finds a coin in the street and bends down to pick it up. He holds it up to show his friends as he walks away.>>
A penny!

Teddy:

Well, guys—I better get home before my mom puts me on the Ten Most Wanted list.
<<Teddy starts to walk away, but stops and turns around.>>
Hey, Chris. No hard feelings, okay?

Chris:

No way, man.

Teddy:

<<Teddy begins walking away in another direction. As he walks he begins to sing.>>
"Have Gun, Will Travel" reads the card of a man. A knight without armor in a savage land. His fast gun for hire...
<<His voice fades as we see him walk away.>>

Writer:

As time went on we saw less and less of Teddy and Vern, until eventually they became just two more faces in the halls. It happens sometimes. Friends come in and out of your life like busboys in a restaurant. I heard that Vern got married out of high school, had four kids, and is now the forklift operator at the Arsenault lumberyard. Teddy tried several times to get into the Army, but his eyes and ear kept him out. The last time I'd heard, he'd spent some time in jail. He was now doing odd jobs around Castle Rock.

Chris:

<<The last two boys continued walking together, but now it was time for them to part also. They are standing on the hill next to their tree house, overlooking Castle Rock.  Chris seems sad.>>
I'm never gonna make it out of this town, am I, Gordie.

Gordie:

You can do anything you want, man.

Chris:

Yeah, sure.
<<Pause.>>
Gimme some skin.

Gordie:

I'll see you.

Chris:

Not if I see you first.
<<Chris walks away and as the Writer is talking about Chris' fate, Chris' image fades and disappears from the screen. The adventure is over, and life must go on, even without Chris Chambers.>>

Writer:

Chris did get out. He enrolled in the college courses with me, and, although it was hard, he gutted it out like he always did. He went on to college and eventually became a lawyer. Last week he entered a fast food restaurant. Just ahead of him, two men got into an argument—one of them pulled a knife. Chris, who had always made the best peace, tried to break it up. He was stabbed in the throat. He died almost instantly.
<<The writer is shown typing, and the words are visible on his monitor as he types...>>
Although I hadn't seen him in more than ten years, I know I'll miss him forever.

WSon:

<<The writer's son enters the room with a friend. They are about eleven or twelve years old.>>
Dad, can we go now?

Writer:

You ready?

WSon:

Yeah. We've been ready for an hour.

Writer:

<<Chuckles.>>
Okay. I'll be right there.

Friend:

He said that a half-hour ago!

WSon:

Yeah. My dad's weird. He gets like that when he's writing.

Writer:

<<Looks lovingly at the boys as they walk out of the door, and he smiles to himself. It is the proud smile of a man whose life has worked out just as it should have. As he ponders the wonders of life he begins to type once again...>>
I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?
<<The writer shuts off his monitor and leaves to join the boys who are playing in the front yard. They all get into the car and drive off as credits roll.
<<Music: "Stand By Me" (Ben E. King) 1961>>

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:51:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Arlington Road.

Maybe not sad, but it sure pissed me off.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:56:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I havent seen that movie in years... time to add it to NetFlix. thanks!!
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:57:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I remember in grade school reading "Something for Joey" a story about Penn State football player John Cappelletti and his brother Joey who is dying of leukemia.  I bawled and bawled after reading that.  A few years later they came out with the movie and I saw it.  I bawled and bawled after that.  I hate sad movies.  I won't watch them anymore.

Patty
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:58:12 PM EDT
[#4]
EASY.

On the Beach (2000)

On the Beach (1959) wasn't too fucking cheery either.

Probably the saddest movie ever made.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:58:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Braveheart..I hated the ending! Why could'nt he have escaped one more time, married the French chick and run off into the hills of Scotland?
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:59:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Ladder 49
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:00:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Old Yeller.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:01:00 PM EDT
[#8]
"Life is beautiful".

Definitive bittersweet ending. If you're a father and that one doesn't tear you up, you are without a soul.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:06:32 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
"Life is beautiful".

Definitive bittersweet ending. If you're a father and that one doesn't tear you up, you are without a soul.

I agree...it took me about five minutes to try to hide the stupid tears. It was soooo embarassing.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:07:50 PM EDT
[#10]
American beauty.......... The way of the gun.......Dawn of the dead
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:13:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Now nearly all those I loved and did not understand when I was young are dead, but I still reach out to them.
    Of course, now I am too old to be much of a fisherman, and now of course I usually fish the big waters alone, although some friends think I shouldn't. Like many fly fishermen in western Montana where the summer days are almost Arctic in length, I often do not start fishing until the cool of the evening. Then in the Arctic half-light of the canyon, all existence fades to a being with my soul and memories and the sounds of the Big Blackfoot River and a four-count rhythm and the hope that a fish will rise.
   Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters.

www2.reelwavs.com/movies/river_runs_through_it/haunted.mp3

For some reason, it always makes me tear up seeing the end to that movie.

The other one, which I am deeply ashamed about, is the ending to Vanilla Sky.

The whole thing makes me so sad.

It is such a Catch 22.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:15:50 PM EDT
[#12]
"My Dog Skip"

Holy cow, I am so thankful that the Mrs. and decided to rent it instead of seeing it at the theater.

By the end of film we were just a total mess.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:16:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Brian's Song!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:18:51 PM EDT
[#14]
not a movie, but a british tv series. the end of the last episode of BlackAdder.. 4? (The WWI one).
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:24:24 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Why that one? did they die? I always thought it was kind of understood they lived. But I'm also slow.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:32:36 PM EDT
[#16]
I thought Donnie Darko was kinda sad. But then again it was one hard to follow movie.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:38:59 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

American Beauty was pretty sad.  I recently saw Million Dollar Baby.  That was just all-around sad.  I was hoping she'd make peace with her family, but they really sucked so it's good that she cut them off.  I can't imagine what it would have been like to be her.  
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:39:31 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

American Beauty was pretty sad.  I recently saw Million Dollar Baby.  But I don't want to spoil it...
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:42:20 PM EDT
[#19]
SPR.....also pretty much the whole movie BHD.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:43:59 PM EDT
[#20]
The only movie that I have seen people sit in the theater and cry after it ended was Saving Private Ryan. I'd say the two times I saw it in the theater that 5-10% of the people did not leave for 15 minutes (I know, I was with someone who couldn't stop crying for at least that)
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:45:03 PM EDT
[#21]
collateral, I wanted to see Vincent win
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:46:34 PM EDT
[#22]
The Big Blue
The Mission
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:50:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Ghost...
But only because Whoopie didn't die in the end.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:18:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Das Boot .  

The Green Mile .

Shindler's List .

Pay It Forward .
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:18:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Black Hawk Down
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:31:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:38:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Definitely the end of SPR.
The others I seem to have repressed.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:38:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:43:20 PM EDT
[#29]
to repeat a few others: Schindler's List, Million Dollar Baby, Saving Private Ryan, and the Pianist.

+Gallipoli
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:43:26 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Old Yeller.

+1, Might be showing my age......saw this one on the big screen.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:46:40 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Arlington Road.

Maybe not sad, but it sure pissed me off.

I LOVED the ending of Arlington Road!  The good guys always win in the end in movies, it's refreshing when that isn't the case.  The best endings are when the bad guys get away or the hero fails/doesn't live happily ever after.  Like Goodfellas or The Usual Suspects.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:46:59 PM EDT
[#32]
The Green Mile

When he's sitting in the electric chair and says, "Don't let them put the mask on me, I'm afraid of the dark", I lost it.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:52:29 PM EDT
[#33]

Another one that really got me unexpectedly was "AI".

After all the kid went through, then the end when he's underwater just looking at his "angel", waiting... for all eternity.

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:52:35 PM EDT
[#34]
The Sand Pebbles.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:53:07 PM EDT
[#35]
A Simple Plan- with billy bob thornton, bill paxton, and bridget fonda.  not a tearjerker per se, but almoist unbearably tragic.  a great movie that most people have never seen.  highly reccomended.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:57:13 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
A Simple Plan- with billy bob thornton, bill paxton, and bridget fonda.  not a tearjerker per se, but almoist unbearably tragic.  a great movie that most people have never seen.  highly reccomended.

+1, I forgot about that movie, its a great one. In the same vein is "A Midnight Clear" (I think thats what its called)
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:18:20 PM EDT
[#37]
"House of Sand and Fog"

Though I love Jennifer Connelly's...umm...assets...the ending was pretty tragic.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:24:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Leaving Las Vegas.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:30:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Solaris
"And death shall have no dominion"

I cryed like a little bitch
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:35:49 PM EDT
[#40]
The Sand Pebbles and Gallipoli (with a slight edge to the latter) get my top vote right now (I'm sure I think of something later). Stand By Me is pretty depressing, too.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:39:55 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Another one that really got me unexpectedly was "AI".

After all the kid went through, then the end when he's underwater just looking at his "angel", waiting... for all eternity.

I couldn't get the end of that movie out of my head for days.  It was the most depressing film I've ever seen in my life.

Digital
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:46:08 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Das Boot .  

The Green Mile .

Shindler's List .

Pay It Forward .

+1
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:50:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Missing in Action
Rambo (2)?
Saving Private Ryan
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:26:47 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:41:29 AM EDT
[#45]
Pinnochio
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 1:02:22 AM EDT
[#46]
The Passion of the Christ put pretty much the whole theatre in tears several times, myself and my date, along with a group of others went with a bunch of Gentiles (yes, I will use this word in this instance! ) to go see it, and it put us in tears probably worse then most of them I think.

-Ben
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 1:09:34 AM EDT
[#47]
Requiem for a Dream made me want to slit my wrists...the whole movie was EXTREMELY depressing.l
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 1:13:04 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Requiem for a Dream made me want to slit my wrists...the whole movie was EXTREMELY depressing.l

You didn't like the ass-to-ass part?
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 1:50:23 AM EDT
[#49]
Schindler's List
The Green Mile
ST2:The Wrath of Khan

Every time is see the scene when Spock dies, I cry my heart out.  

Vulcan94

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 2:33:19 AM EDT
[#50]
The Final Countdown.  Always saddened me that they took the Nimitz back to the future instead of sinking the Japanese fleet and then steaming to Japan and nuking Tokyo.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top