Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2005 6:06:59 PM EDT
The pitbull has been degraded in the eyes of the public by misused statistics that are taken out of context, irresponsible owners, inaccurate eyewitness accounts, and a fear mongering media. The dogs that are most reported to have killed people at any given time in history reflect the breed's popularity and consequently their population at the time. The amount of attacks reported from a particular breed varies directly with the degree to which the breed is overrepresented in the population. In other words, the more of one type of dog there is, the more reports there will be of that particular breed. This is an example of how statistics can lie if they are taken out of context. Statements about causality cannot be made without controlling for externalities such as report error of eye witnesses, degree of representation of the breed in the total population, and blocking for factors like owners with a predisposition to violence. People who are predisposed to violence, bad temper, and a typical ihavesomethingtoprove attitude will tend to choose a "bad ass" dog and subsequently raise it as such. Pitbulls and American Staffordshire terrier (Slightly larger than the pitbull but bred from the same lines) are one of the most popular breeds in current years and are #2 on  the United Kennel Club list of most popular dogs (based on registration data). This data can be found at:
United Kennel Club
This data is taken from a group that is more likely to be responsible dog owners because most people who register their dogs with UKC compete with their dogs. Because of this it may misrepresent the popularity of pitbulls in the total population. Given the propensity of aggressive persons who want dogs to get a pitbull, the breed’s popularity may be underrepresented by the UKC data.

Being large portion of the population of all dogs in the country affects the number of reports of attacks as well as the failure of eyewitnesses to properly identify the type of dog attacking them or another person. The media has created such a fear surrounding these dogs many people assume that it was a pitbull that they saw chasing their child down the street. It is also difficult to determine the breed of a dog solely by looking at it. At this website there are many different photographs of dogs and the user is challenged to pick out the pitbulls from the lot of them.
Find the Pitbull

After trying this myself I discovered that I could not tell the difference between a pitbull and many other breeds of dog, and I OWN A PITBULL. You can imagine the amount of error in eyewitness reports of dog attacks when an informed pitbull owner cant even pick a pitbull out of a lineup.

Pitbulls are not an inherently evil breed. Misused out of context statistics, the “badass” stigma” which attracts aggressive and irresponsible owners, media driven fear, and many inaccurate eyewitness reports due to media driven fear, have all attributed to the general dislike of this wonderful breed. The CDC statistics on dog bite related human fatalities are commonly taken out of context from the rest of the report to “prove” prove that Pitbulls are dangerous. If you read the entire report however, it points out that irresponsible owners are the cause of most attacks. It does not peg the breed as the causal factor for violence. I hope you can read this and take an open minded attitude, looking at all the evidence in context, and make a decision about this breed that is not based on presumptions and fear.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:16:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I got it first try. Just thought that it looked like mine
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:17:18 PM EDT
[#2]
No more pit bull threads!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:18:21 PM EDT
[#3]
They serve society by weeding out the young and weak.  Usually as they play in their back yards.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:20:50 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
They serve society by weeding out the young and weak.  Usually as they play in their back yards.

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:21:59 PM EDT
[#5]
+ 1,000,000
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:38:17 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Or in their neighbors front yard.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:58:00 PM EDT
[#7]
jls7 thanks for your post well said and appreciated.

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:00:15 PM EDT
[#8]
You are wasting your breath here I'm afraid.

Those who have made up their minds, won't listen to facts. They see it one way, and that is that.

Arguing to people who don't like pits is just about as frustrating as arguing with people who hate guns.

They are generaly undecuated about the subject and rely on mass media for their info.

They are also usually very reactionary, and don't care about facts (again, much of their facts are based on crappy mass media reporting).

And lastly, no matter how many facts, or personal experience you throw at them, they won't listen.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:09:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Yah maybe, but I felt like I needed to try, especially when I see a a post that advocates hunting and killing pitbulls or burning them alive. I know that I wont change those peoples minds but there are always those who haven't made up their minds and a little bit of information that counteracts the fears that are instilled by the media might just help them make up their minds.
-jls7
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:13:11 PM EDT
[#10]
its the people who own the animals, not the dogs
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:14:40 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:15:17 PM EDT
[#12]
wow I took the test, I had no clue
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:27:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Got it the second try, my first guess was the Staffordshire Bull Terrier.

Doesn't change my own experience with APBTs (which ain't good).
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:27:23 PM EDT
[#14]
I had an American or Stafordshire Bull Terrier (vet wasn't totally sure which it was, and I got him at 14-18 months from the pound).  I've never had a dog who was so kid friendly.  For months, unknown to me, the younger kids in my neighborhood would come home from school, take my dog out of my back yard, and go play with him at the park.  They would put him back shortly before I came home to find my "lazy dog who's always sleeping when I get home."

He had a few traits that made him ideal, as far as I was concerned...

1) He would protect ANY kid from any perceived threat.  He would get between the kid and another dog and make damn sure that dog couldn't touch the kid.  

2) He never, ever started a fight with another dog as far as I ever saw or heard.  Other dogs attacked him on several occasions, but he never started it.  He was totally cool with other dogs, unless they got in his face.  Then the "other" side of my dog would show up and start ripping things up.  

I saw him get full on attacked by some dumber-than-should-live poodle once.  Poodle came in running and totally blind sided my Bull while he was looking up a tree at a squirel.  Poodle drew blood too, which was not a good thing.  I had to sprint 60 yards to get to the fight and pull my dog away.  There were chunks of poodle on the ground when it was over.  

3) I was working out of town a lot back then, with my wife left at home.  I have to admit I felt more secure knowing that dog was there to slow anything down long enough for my wife to get her Berretta 92FS into play, should the need arrise.

Pit Bulls, Bull Terriers, Saint Bernards, what ever.  They can all be mean, and they can all be cool.  Just depends on how their treated.  With the media hype I can immagine some anti-bull terrier laws.  If that's the case, some other dog will become the next "most agressive" media hype tool.  That's what it all boils down to anyway, the media just want something to yell about so that we will pay attention and buy their papers.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top