Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2005 3:46:53 PM EDT
Any festivals or attractions I could check out? I want to take my family and my new car on a road trip, so I've decided on these 2 areas. We've never been there before. Help a brother out!

Point me in the right direction for family fun. Museums, food festivals, outdoor fairs, county fairs, livestock festivals, whatever.

Looking forward to the responses, TIA.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 3:53:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Oh man, I know tons of places in VT.

I'll come back and edit this post after I gather more exact names and places, but two neccessities if you have a wife and kids is the Ben and Jerry's factory(www.benjerry.com/our_company/about_us/tours/) It's in waterbury VT, and the Vermont Teddy Bear factory(www.VermontTeddyBear.com), it's in Shelburne VT. (Both have awesome tours)

Depending on how you're going it's also cool to check out the Bennington Battlefield and the Hubbardton  Battlefield. (Both are in Southern VT and cool to stop by and take pictures for 20 minutes just to see a different battlefield, there's certainly not as much at these places as Fort Ti and Fort WH) Hubbardton is doing a thing right now where you can bring an American Flag and have it raised over the battlefield, and you get a certificate, it's free. (www.historicvermont.org/html/hubbardton.html)

What state are you in? Fort Ticonderoga is in NY, but very near the VT border (on the other side of Lake Champlain), and not far from that is Fort William Henry in Lake George NY, and there are lots of other places in Lake George too.

I know some museums, I'll get some places for you.

EDIT:

The Shelburne Museum www.shelburnemuseum.org/

Located in Vermont's scenic Lake Champlain valley, Shelburne Museum is one of the nation's finest, most diverse, and unconventional museums of art and Americana. Over 150,000 works are exhibited in a remarkable setting of 39 exhibition buildings, 25 of which are historic and were relocated to the Museum grounds.

Impressionist paintings, folk art, quilts and textiles, decorative arts, furniture, American paintings, and a dazzling array of 17th-to 20th-century artifacts are on view. Shelburne is home to the finest museum collections of 19th-century American folk art, quilts, 19th- and 20th-century decoys, and carriages.

Hildene - The Summer home of Robert Todd Lincoln, it's in Manchester VT. There's lots of Lincoln (Not just Abe, but the whole family) artifacts, and it's a big house with lots of rooms. Impressive place to visit. www.hildene.org/

The Echo Lake Aquarium and Science center, lots of hands on exhibits, animals, and a sunken shipwreck. (It's in Burlington VT.) www.echovermont.org/visit

The Norman Rockwell Museum is in Rutland VT... There are a lot of artsy and science type museums in VT, if thats not what you're interested in....

Franklin County is having their Field Days from the 5th to the 7th. It will have...

Agricultural display and cattle shows, crafts, games, rides, music, tractor and horse pulling, antique tractor pull, draft horse show, ox pulling.

I don't see any other fairs or agriculture events that weekend.

I'm sure I'll think of other things sometime today or tomorrow as they pop into my head.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 3:58:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks a lot Daytona955i, we all appreciate your looking into things. We're coming from lower NY state.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 3:59:43 PM EDT
[#3]
www.machinegunsafari.com/

this is off exit 31 of rt 93, the 1st real tourist exit.
they'll be a sign to a tourist building, and they'll be loaded with brochures of all the area actractions.
take a drive up mount washington.  
www.mt-washington.com/autoroad/
ride the gondola to the top of cannon mountain.  
www.cannonmt.com/summer/SummerPages/tram.html
visit the flume.
www.coping.org/travels/leaf/flume/narrat.htm
ride on the conway scenic railroad through franconia notch.  
www.conwayscenic.com/
stop at clarks trading post to check out the bears, steam train, and old steam engine museum.
www.clarkstradingpost.com/
take a ride up over the kancamagas highway and stop to swim in the swift river.
buy a gallon of locally brewed pigs ear ale.
visit lost river.
www.findlostriver.com/info.htm
watch for a-10's on their somewhat regular training missions.
remember, take pics.

gee, forgot mount attitash, kids love the ride.
www.attitash.com/summer/attractions.html
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 4:53:35 PM EDT
[#4]
All good suggestions.

I'm partial to a trip up to Burlington. Lake Champlain Chocolate factory "tour".
http://www.lakechamplainchocolates.com/?source=GHP005&C1=PPC&KW=lake_champlain_chocolate_exact

Mmmm, chocolate.

Lunch/Dinner at NECI in Burlington or Montpelier.
http://www.neci.edu/home.html

Model Trains in Essex.
http://www.tonystrains.com/

Whoo Hooo! All within an hour or two drive. Bring me back some Green Mountain Coffee, will ya?
http://www.gmcr.com
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:05:09 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
www.machinegunsafari.com/

this is off exit 31 of rt 93, the 1st real tourist exit.
they'll be a sign to a tourist building, and they'll be loaded with brochures of all the area actractions.
take a drive up mount washington.  
www.mt-washington.com/autoroad/
ride the gondola to the top of cannon mountain.  
www.cannonmt.com/summer/SummerPages/tram.html
visit the flume.
www.coping.org/travels/leaf/flume/narrat.htm
ride on the conway scenic railroad through franconia notch.  
www.conwayscenic.com/
stop at clarks trading post to check out the bears, steam train, and old steam engine museum.
www.clarkstradingpost.com/
take a ride up over the kancamagas highway and stop to swim in the swift river.
buy a gallon of locally brewed pigs ear ale.
visit lost river.
www.findlostriver.com/info.htm
watch for a-10's on their somewhat regular training missions.
remember, take pics.

gee, forgot mount attitash, kids love the ride.
www.attitash.com/summer/attractions.html

Definitely check out Franconia Notch and ride the Gondola on Cannon Mt.

Two other cool things in NH are the Ruggles Mine in Grafton (where you can rent rock hammers and try to find gems, and the mine is really cool to walk around in), and the Mack Truck museum in Hillsborough.

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:24:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Swing by and pick me up. We'll go drinking.
Hey, in Bellow Falls VT, they're doing their Old Home Days. They've got fireworks on saturday night that are usually pretty good.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top