Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/2/2005 1:21:14 PM EDT
My parents house was broken into last evening and a fair amount of jewelry was taken, the job was pretty clean in that they took only jewelry and money and didn't make a big mess (in fact my parents didn't notice anything amiss for several hours after returning home), the entry was not forced (my parents left a door open).

Anyways my parents filed a report with local PD, etc., the assistance I'm seeking is just advice if there is anything you think we can do to perhaps recover the items. I'm presuming the items were taken to fund a drug habit. I don't want to be a vigilante or anything, but I imagine PD has higher priorities higher than this. So what is a good course of action to take to try and find the items? Visit pawn shops, or other establishments? If so which types would be likely?

Any advice you can give me is much appreciated as a lot of these items are family heirlooms, they are all insured but obviously can't be replaced, so if you have any ideas that would help us recover them without breaking the law or jeopardizing our safety I'd be very grateful. Thanks.

And before anyone else chimes in:

Tell them to luck the @#$^ing door
Draw down on them
etc.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:22:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Pawn shops
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:22:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:23:27 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
pawn shops

Start there. I hope you have some serial numbers or photos?
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:24:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Pawn shops plus ebay and craigslist.com.

Dopers sell on the net mostly.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:24:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Good luck!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top